JKOwners Forum banner

RK 3.5 on 2012 Auto... I'm nervous.

8K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Seanb33 
#1 ·
So I ordered the Rock Krawler 3.5 mid-flex kit with some 35" MTRs. Will be going on a 2012 JKU Rubi w/ the Auto. Did I f@ck up? Really need a dependable lift that will work for an everyday driven Jeep and playing on the weekend with out breaking tie rods and blowing driveshafts and handing like ass. I don't think my lift will ship till next week so I can exchange it for the 2.5 max travel I'm sure.

Upon researching I've noticed that most rigs I see running the RK 3.5 seem have the front end jacked way up, even taller than the rear on some. I'd kinda like to keep a tiny amount of rake. Anyone running this kit have a profile pic of their JK post-settle?

I'm just worried that it might be a bit too much and will cause me problems elsewhere. Has anyone actually put a taller lift on the '12 with the new transmission. Wondering if the '12s will have the same issues with driveshafts and the 07-11 JKs. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
I'm not sure what you have been reading but you shouldn't have any issues. The Rock Krawler lifts are designed to remove the rake, but you'll still probably come out a tiny bit lower in the front.

As Kevin said, you bought one of the best kits in the industry and it is known that the mid arm kits are no problem on the 2012.

Don't worry be happy.

Marcus

#5 ·
You should be just fine. Lots of folks with this setup. I know the driveshafts are a little different on the 2012 but I don't for see any issues.

If you're losing sleep over it talk to Rock Krawler directly on Tuesday and see what they say. If you get the 3.5 and wait to install it and decide that you'd rather have the 2.5 inch coils an exchange would be simple.

I really don't think you're going to have any issues though.

Marcus

#7 ·
I have the same set up in my manual 2012 and it's perfect. The front seem s like its tall, but it is actually dead even. Even with a hardtop. The stock JK had a serious rake to it where the front is a a lot lower than the rear. You will be very happy with the lift!! What shocks are u going with?

#13 ·
Went with the 5100s. The RK shocks look awesome but I was bit low on coin after the lift, shock, wheels & tires. I heard the ride is a little stiff but more responsive than stock, so I think I'll be happy with them.

Just the basic.3.5 but It's great. Sits perfect, rides well, untouched off-road.
Is the lower pic after the lift? Looks to have a bit of rake, love the stance either way.

I had the 3.5 mid arm pro on my 08 and plan on doing the 2.5 max travel on the 2012... That being said the lift is fine but I found that with 35's I didn't need the 3.5. I want it to sit a little lower but it is all preference both are great kits. The 3.5 has more parts to it and will take more time to get it dialed in just right, don't forget to buy bumpstops.
Sitting lower to me means less issue and maintenance on the driveline. Good luck on your choice and let us see pics when it is done! :beer::beer:
Edit: my last jeep was a 4 door rubi auto tranny and the 2012 is a 4 door rubi auto tranny.
The 3.5 sat very level and handled just fine no matter how much weight I put in the back.
Did you have driveline issues with the 3.5? I got it mainly because I would eventually like to buy the extended rear control arms and steering kit and run 37s with some flat fenders. But that is several years down the road. I just need it to be dependable until then. Cant afford to be replacing driveshafts and steering components while sending the bank a check for $650 every month.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This is such a great forum.

#12 ·
I had the 3.5 mid arm pro on my 08 and plan on doing the 2.5 max travel on the 2012... That being said the lift is fine but I found that with 35's I didn't need the 3.5. I want it to sit a little lower but it is all preference both are great kits. The 3.5 has more parts to it and will take more time to get it dialed in just right, don't forget to buy bumpstops.
Sitting lower to me means less issue and maintenance on the driveline. Good luck on your choice and let us see pics when it is done! :beer::beer:
Edit: my last jeep was a 4 door rubi auto tranny and the 2012 is a 4 door rubi auto tranny.
The 3.5 sat very level and handled just fine no matter how much weight I put in the back.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm going to run 35" MTRs. Eventually would like to run 37s, but given the cost of the wheels and tires, tire carrier, regearing etc.. that probably won't be until after its paid for and not my daily driver. Only other thing I would really like to do is get a stubby front w/ a hidden winch. My main concern really, is having expensive repairs to driveline and suspension components because of the size of the lift. Really wish there was more data on 2012 driveshafts.

#26 ·
You dont have to worry about driveshaft issues with only a 2.5 inch lift correct?

#31 ·
I daily drive the Rock Krawler 5.5 X Factor (3 link long arm coilover) suspension - 60K miles so far. The quality of RK gear is off the scale good. You will be very happy:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.