Edelbrock Xtreme travel IAS in exchange for R&D - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cool Edelbrock Xtreme travel IAS in exchange for R&D

Hi All
I dropped my jeep JK off yesterday at Edelbrock. I handed of the keys to Ryan (awesome dude) at the Research and Development department-Shock Division. They will be using my ride to develop and fine tune their awesome products for the marketplace. What an honor!!! I have a loner car for 2 weeks. They will be testing their Xtreme Travel Remote Reservoir & Xtreme Travel piggyback. They will also be installing their stainless Steel braided brake lines to accomadate the additional travel Yeh Baby!!!!!!!!!!!
They asked for 2 weeks to test and fine tune their products. In return I get to keep the developed products. I can keep the prototypes until the final product is developed at which time they will replace them with the production versions. All I had to do was answer a request for a 4 door JK with a 4’ lift posted on this website by Frank from Edelbrock. I could not belive it when they gave me a call. When I went to Edelbrock they gave me a tour of there RD facility, in there they had a torcher chamber for shocks. man they put there stuff through the mill before they release it. Not only do they have those machines to push the shocks to the limit. They have a tricked out truck they take out to the desert to put them through their paces in real life situations.
I have already run out of money for my JK It has taken a huge portion of my paycheck this year. So this is a godsend I have been lusting after an awesome set of Reservoir shocks but no dinero left in the budget. Here is why

Warn Dual Powereplant winch 1500
Warn Bumper with grill protector 600
4.88s aprox $2700. I have the Rubicon so they charged me labor for locker removal and installation. PS should of got 5.13s
Warn diff protectors ????
Magnaflow cat back 500-600
AFE 300-400
4’ superlift with all the extras 700 + labor???
Motometal 17s 2000
35x12.50 1300
Custom CB mount looks factory 100
CB 100
Chrome trim kit 300

Not to mention a number of trips to Baja to try everything out…. Holy Buckets $50,000 JK Rubicon any one!!!
JEEP
JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET
I have no idea what the set up Edelbrock is doing would cost but my guess would be another 2000 to 3000.

I still have tons of stuff I would like to do to my beloved Jeep.
Eternally broke Lensman…… LOL

THANK YOU RYAN AND FRANK YOUR R&D PROGRAM IS THE BEST!!!!! EDELBROCK PRODUCTS FOREVER!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Rock God

Frank and Ryan are good dudes. $2700 for gears? Where did you get that done at?

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #3 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
DAMN!

Bendover Axle and Gear?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Yep, thats a hell of an opportunity. Enjoy it brother !
post #5 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

they need more east coast makers of JK products
post #6 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
they need more east coast makers of JK products
No they don't! They just need more West coast shops that are looking for slightly modded 2 Dr for R&D work. Hint Hint

Jeep: 07 Wrangler X 2DR Black
Crime Guard Alarm with 2way pager, AFE CAI, DynaPro Exhuast
M.O.R.E. Body Lift, Source Co2 Tank, Stubbied Stock Front Bumper
KMC XD 795 Hoss Black 17" wheels and Maxxis Bighorn 305/70/17 tires
Every mod in the write up section.

Old Jeep: 04 Wrangler X Yellow Built To The Hilt For Three Great Years.

POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #2
post #7 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Rock God

thats how i got my rock rails. My jeep is the test jeep. I just wish they would put these things on the market already. its been awhile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #8 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

4wheel parts in Riverside ca. Don't those dudes have a lot of my money.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am excited!!!!
post #10 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Bigjerm who did your rails?
post #11 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Congratulations!

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the shocks in a couple of weeks. I ordered my Fox remote reservoir shocks from Poly Performance and have high expectations.

Hopefully they didn't give you a Hyundai as the loaner.

Again congrats dude! Should be one hell of an upgrade and the fact that your loaning yours out in exchange for a set works for everyone and all of us in the end.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Michael

I will post some pics when it is completed. Do you expect more articulation with your install? I hope they took a baseline measurement before the install so the difference is measurable. I will post the results in to weeks. Inquiring minds want to know.

PS it's a ford focus base model that has a vibration in the front end what a trade LOL.

Last edited by Lensman; 11-09-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: grammer
post #13 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
I pulled my invoice after your comment and it was 1700 sorry for the misquote I was trying to do it off the top of my head.

Of all the things in life I have lost I mis my mind the most. LOL
post #14 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
Do you expect more articulation with your install?
On the factory suspension the shocks are part of the limiting factor, even though they are already long.

On mine I'm not expecting the shocks to dramatically change my articulation. It will have some effect because the shocks are for a TJ not a JK. However as it sits right now I have about 41" of travel from any wheel before another wheel starts to lift. That's a lot of travel. Almost too much for a daily driver but I still have a lot of control so that's good. So any more would truly be just a bonus.

Also note that my last measurement was with the old Nth springs so I will have to do another test once I have the rest of my Poly Performance products installed along with the Fox shocks. Also note that if I have any more travel, I will have to further extend the brake lines as well as extend the wheel electronics.

What I am really expecting out of the shocks is some more positive dampening and more control over wash boards at speed. I am expecting speed bumps to stop the rebounding faster. I am also expecting less clunking as the shocks max out in top and bottom travel. Also any further reduction in dynamic rolls would be nice but not expected.

Ford Focus, huh. Well it could have been worse. I rented a Chevy Cobalt once in Salt Lake City. I took it back after dropping Debbie at the hospital and had them upgrade me for free. I got a Nissan Murano, that was a cool upgrade. The Cobalt sounded like it had no sound proofing at all and drove all over the road at will. Not to mention I couldn't even see the traffic lights if I was first in line and had to duck and look up to see if the light was green.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cool

What I am really expecting out of the shocks is some more positive dampening and more control over wash boards at speed.

The way I have delt with this is to let lots of air out of my tires. I will be checking out the new set up with & with out air down I can't wait.

I did not have the forsight to take a base line myself.
Man you got a ton of travel any more and you axles will be vertical. What did you do to achive it? What would you do agian or not?
post #16 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What I am really expecting out of the shocks is some more positive dampening and more control over wash boards at speed.

The way I have delt with this is to let lots of air out of my tires. I will be checking out the new set up with & with out air down I can't wait.

I did not have the forsight to take a base line myself.
Man you got a ton of travel any more and you axles will be vertical. What did you do to achive it? What would you do agian or not?
post #17 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

The stock JK is limited by a fair amount of binding and designed in limited flex from lesser joints. Fortunately most lifts upgrade the joints to allow for more freedom, then the shocks become the limiter as, even though they are long, they don't compress or fully extend without using the shock as the limit strap.

Nth design in a very flexible lift. It's almost as flexible as my rock crawler at 50 some odd inches of flex. It is also however very much in control and the on road manners and improvements was well worth the price of admission. Would I do it again, in a heart beat.

I'm now pursuing a hybrid that will probably end up being a full Poly Performance lift, not because I don't like the Nth stuff but because I have abused it as part of the beta testing and now I need upgrade parts and AEV isn't being overly receptive or forthcoming with plans and details on when or even IF I can get parts. So I get to be the lucky guinea pig that gets to buy two lift kits because I already paid for one that never made it to production yet and now I'm buying another one to have a functional Jeep.

I'm not (yet at least) bitter towards Nth, it just happened and I got caught in the middle. I still think it is an awesome product but one day I will have to pull my Nth logo's off my JK and just have some pictures and memories of when I was one of the few with a Nth designed JK on the street.

Maybe AEV will get the show on the road, but it is taking too long for me so I am going a different direction. One of the prices you pay to be the first kid on the block.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 06:46 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
On the factory suspension the shocks are part of the limiting factor, even though they are already long.
FWIW The Bilstein shocks supplied with the Superlift kit limit travel by way too much. Great shocks, wrong length.

Quote:
On mine I'm not expecting the shocks to dramatically change my articulation.
If your existing shocks are not the limiting factor, then there should be no difference in travel.

Quote:
I will have to further extend the brake lines as well as extend the wheel electronics.
I run +6 brake lines and extended all the electronics and breather hoses by about 10", plenty long enough now.

Quote:
What I am really expecting out of the shocks is some more positive dampening and more control over wash boards at speed. I am expecting speed bumps to stop the rebounding faster. I am also expecting less clunking as the shocks max out in top and bottom travel. Also any further reduction in dynamic rolls would be nice but not expected.
I can't speak for the Fox CD shocks, but my Fox Emulsion shocks are very frim, but not uncomfortably so. They have helped with body roll, and definitely provide much better dampening when off-road, I no longer bounce when the weight shifts. Overall, I'd say they are a little firm for the highway (but the CD will help you out there), but excellent off-road. The reservoir should really help for the washboard stuff.

I went with 11" travel Emulsion shocks and the fronts are pretty much exactly right after using JKS stud mounts, could have maybe gone with 12" ones in the rear, but as I'll be adding the Poly rear shock brackets, it will work out perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode