Tryin to decide - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Tryin to decide

Okay for a little bit now, I've been tryin to decide on a lift for this new JK of mine. Its been tough, mainly because I am so indecisive and my budget is low for right now. This lift will be on the shelf for a while, I'm just trying to get the homework part out of the way so down the road I can just jump when I'm ready. I've kinda decided to just piece my own kit together, if thats not a good idea just let me know, I'm here for constructive criticism. So far here is what is on my lift, now keep in mind the word "BUDGET."

Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

-PolyP Front and Rear 3" Lift Springs
-PolyP Front and Rear Track Bar Relocation Brackets
-PolyP Sway Bar Link Kit
-4 Black Diamond Shocks(not sure the length to get with a 3" lift)

Thats it for right now, is there any recommended parts to go along with this lift? Anything as preventing binding or anything like that? I'm here for Constructive Criticism so be gentle!!

Thanks in advance!

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I think you will find that in truth there is no such thing as a "budget" lift kit unless you just add some spacers. Which in reality would be my suggestion unless you really want to get the improved performance and stability of a quality lift. And bear in mind when you put apples to apples the cost difference isn't enough to loose sleep over. However the ride quality and the handling and performance you will be betting your life on.

Make you penny stack big enough to get a complete system. Don't compromise because any compromise you are doing will be to ride quality (your driving enjoyment) at the least and performance and handling (yours and your passengers safety) at the most. In either extreme I don't think compromise is where you want to be and certainly probably not be happy with the compromise.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

If you go with the Poly springs, etc I'd get some shocks they recommend so it all works together like it should. The Black Diamond AT shocks are great, but you might as well get something that Poly recommends. Otherwise if you piece it together and start griping about the ride or handling, who's to blame? Poly for their parts or Superlift for the Black Diamond Shocks?

Buy a complete kit from someone even if it's just a basic kit, then upgrade your control arms, etc later as you get more $$$.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I think these guys have basically already said it but my advice would be to keep in mind that your suspension is a "system" and it would be best to think of your purchase in the same way.

If you only do a budget lift you will have little issues and you won't have the on road enjoyment you could have.

I agree with getting the shocks from the same company just because the rates are usually made to match and in the end you will end up with a much better feeling ride.

I went with a budget llift. Only because I plan on upgrading each of the parts over time. It is kind of the long route and motre expensive. If you really want to save money, do yourself a favor and just wait until you have the money to purchase a "full" kit. A nice one that comes with everything. Otherwise you will end up replacing most of your budget gear spending more in the end.

As far as what you recommended above, I would really consider an adjustable front trackbar vs. a bracket. Lifts can vary even from what is advertised. Being able to dial it in exactly can make for a better ride. I am currently getting some "feedback" or "kick" felt through the steering wheel ater my lift and I belive once I get my bar on it should be gone.

Sorry about the ramble...I am a little..
post #5 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

btw, I really like what I see with the PolyP springs. I am thinkin I want the progressive springs especially in the rear.

Check out this thread: CLICK HERE
post #6 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Alec W

Ditto the above. Save the pennies and do it right the first time.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just what I was looking for fellas. I really do appreciate the helpful feedback, I guess then I'll be scratching my idea then because I refuse to put my passengers in danger regardless if I'm on the road or off of it. Done it once, won't do it again.

As far as lift systems go I've pretty much set myself on PolyP. MichaelW pretty much convinced me of that with the thread link that was posted (BTW Thanks Mike) I really like all the products that PolyP has and I'd love to get something under my JK soon, but again ya'll definitely convinced me to put it on the back of the shelf until I can save up the money for a Full system. Which may take a while, you know, the army doesn't pay junior enlisted members that well

So who wants to donate to my "Get a Lift" fund??? I have PayPal!!!

post #8 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

I realize you already have a "full" lift kit in your sights (and so do I), but for what's it's worth I went with the Teraflex 2.5". Cost me $225.
Works great! It's not a long-arm kit or even a Full 3", but it does provide some good lift and it's safe. Also, beats the heck out of driving around stock until i can save the cash.

Here's a pic of the lift with new shoes.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #9 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I really do like that! $225 is cheap for a "just for now" lift

I saw on Rubicon Express there is a 1.75" front coil spacer for $60. I might just go with that...I'm not sure yet. My indecisiveness definitely gets the better of me every stinkin time.

I guess we'll see in the next few weeks, as bills always seem to have some function of the equation

post #10 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Banned

This is the BB I went with:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504

The nice thing is it came with HD springs to hold the weight of a steel bumper and winch. The rear is only spacers. You would want to add to this kit a rear trackbar bracket, front adjustable trackbar and front brakelines for straters but otherwise I am happy with it.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Gib
Rock God

If you do change your mind and decide to peice it together then keep in mind that using Poly's front axle track bar relocation kit without doing the drag link flip will likely cause bump-steer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode