Taraflex 2.5" BB issue, do you have the same problem, have you checked. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Taraflex 2.5" BB issue, do you have the same problem, have you checked.

I installed the Taraflex 2.5" BB in my 2010 JKU Rubicon (4 Dr) and have an issue with both stock coil springs bowing. The drivers side bows to the front and the passenger side bowes the same amount to the rear. Caster was checked at the lower ball joints and found to be the same.

The BIG ISSUE is the drivers coil spring now hits the sway bar link and has damaged both the sway bar link and the coil. I installed the same lift in my neighbors 2010 rubicon 2dr and the coil springs are straight. I know the springs are different between these two models.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Who has installed this lift in a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited (4 Dr).
Have you had this issue?
Even if your spring and swaybar link don't hit, do you have spring bow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Rock God

First thing I would check would be if the springs are seated properly. Other then that I tell people to stay away from spacers, they just put added stress on the springs and cause them to wear out prematurely. I ran a 2.5 spacer lift for a while and regret spending the money. The ride deteriorated to the point that I hated driving the jeep. When I finally replaced the springs with a real lift the stock springs were easily 2" shorter then they should've been. If you never wheel it or add extra weight the spacers are ok (barely), but once you add weight or wheel the springs take a real beating.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #3 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks, The springs are in correct and seated properly, double checked and had a mechanic confirm.

I got in touch with a second rep from Taraflex after the first was not "helpful". He asked for pictures for the tech department and they recommended try to move the sway bar forward by loosening the mounting bolts. Not sure if there is any adjustment available there or if it is best solution.

Weighing my option before ripping it apart and trying to rotate the springs and spacers to get the bow to face sideways as most people tend to have. I know it is not the best solution, but I would like to get some use out of the boost as it was not cheap.

I've talked to a few clubs and JKU owners and this seems to be very prevalent with the JKUs and if the springs don't hit anything most people don't tend to notice till asked. Or have noticed it and feel Taraflex won't do anything about it so they don't mention it. Unfortunately the curve of the spring will place constant extra stress on the spring causing it wear out prematurely and the ride quality and height to suffer over time.

I will update when I have a chance to do something or get more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Rock God

I ran TF BB for over a year with no issues. That was with thier front and rear bumpers and a winch also. I allways talked to Joe over there. I sold the spacer lift when I put on a real lift. For the money it worked well. This was on an unlimited also.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM
JKowners Vendor

The easiest answer might be that your stock springs were already tired. How many miles? How much 4-wheeling? Aftermarket bumper/winch? Adjusting the sway bar is an easy and cheap step to try. Aside from that, without exact front track bar correction, some Jeeps show more "attitude" than others. Do you have any other worn components, like control arm bushings, etc?

When we used TF 2.5" BB's, our biggest problem was back end--sway bar links rubbed rims, and the frame-side mounted track bar bracket smashed the forward facing part of the shock. I think TF's idea of the BB was cheap and easy for them, not necessarily perfect engineering for those of us who actually wheel.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode