Poly: 1, Jeep: 0 - another lesson learned - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Poly: 1, Jeep: 0 - another lesson learned

The rocker impact spot:

Nothing unusual, right? The result elsewhere:

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

It's actually a bit worse than it looks in the pics. Needless to say, I'm a bit perturbed that the $600 rockers I bought to protect my rockers actually damaged them. Yeah, it was a hard hit, but no harder than happens to people all the time. And this is a pretty light 2-dr - fully loaded with passengers etc well below 5000 lbs. If this had been a 7000+ lb 4-dr, I can only imagine what it would have done.

It got me thinking that it's not necessarily a great idea to have rockers that strong attached to the body. Some people have bitched about bending their PSC rail, or their ACE rail caved....but it protected the body and didn't damage the tub. I would have much rather had that happen and have to just replace a rail. Hell, that's why we buy them.

My advice, use something that will bend or break before the Jeep tub. Using a nuke-proof rocker isn't as smart as I thought.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #3 of 83 Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sucks, sorry to see it happen. I am with you though, you buy it to prevent that from happening.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That really sucks.

I haven't hit my PJ ones that hard yet but I'm curious to see what becomes of it.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 83 Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I got the ace rails with the rubi rails under them. I went with the ace for the affordable price until I could decide what I really wanted, now rethinking the body mounted set ups now, damn dude that sucks! Sorry and good luck!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #6 of 83 Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM
JKO Addict!

And people give me shit cause my psc sliders have some give! I'm adding the body panels as well cause like you said I'd rather bend the rails than damage the body...I'm sure you'll get that all worked out..

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #7 of 83 Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

One of the reasons I went with a frame mounted.......Ive seen plenty of strong tub mounts but I've also seen tub mounted ones damage the tub/rocker more than once.
post #8 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Granite Guru

Frame mounted sliders FTW

AKA: "American" on PBB
post #9 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 AM
Granite Guru

Hope you don't mind OP but I have shared the link on another forum.

This is the argument I have had for a while now. Body mounted protection worked great on the TJ but the JK is a more car like design and thinner metal etc.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #10 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
That really sucks.

I haven't hit my PJ ones that hard yet but I'm curious to see what becomes of it.
Ive came down full load on my pj more then once
IMHO they are the most solid body mounted rockers you can buy

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #11 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Damn, thats terrible!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah, this definitely gave me some pause. In addition to the body these are mounted on the underside using the two body mounts on each side. Obviously its not enough, as the slider was able to flex into the body hard enough to damage it. The freaking slider though.....not so much as a dent. I don't know what kind of magic pixie metal these guys are building these from.

Let's just say in the future I'm going with a proper frame-mount rail, and if it uses body support, it's going to be a larger plate to distribute the force ala Nemesis/PSC/etc. The Poly slider concentrates too much force along a pretty narrow strip of the tub and not enough support underneath.

Oh well, they say the wimmens like body damage.

-Milton Friedman
post #13 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just playing devils advocate here, but i I have the same rails, have slammed them several times from the side and bottom, and not so much as a tiny dent.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #14 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think the one major difference between most JK tub mounted sliders and the TJ tub mounted sliders is the way they are attached.

It seems to me that most of the tub mounted sliders out there for the JK use nut-certs to attach them. While this makes the install easy it does put more force on a single panel.

Where as the TJ mounted sliders tended to be through-bolted with crush sleeves which creates a much more dent-resistant mounting point.

This is the only reason I went with my PJ sliders is because they are through-bolted.

Info:

|
post #15 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Granite Guru

This is definitely the reason I'm planning to use frame mounted sliders.
post #16 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
One of the reasons I went with a frame mounted.......Ive seen plenty of strong tub mounts but I've also seen tub mounted ones damage the tub/rocker more than once.
Yep, I try not to piss off the vendors here too much about this, but all the tub mounted jobs do this if you beat em hard enough. Seem several PSC sets and this is the 2nd Poly set Ive seen do it. My Pure Jeeps were holding out pretty well for a long time, but after my last trip to Ridgecrest, now I am getting body damage from those too.

All these vendors make fantastic products, its just the tin-can sheetmetal that Jeep used on the heavy suckers. That, and folks do things with daily-driver Jeeps now that buggies wouldn't touch 10 years ago.

Came to the conclusion (with several other folks that wheel in my circle) that the frame mounted is the way to go if you wheel like a maniac. Just sucks that you have to loose all that precious ground clearance with a low center of gravity build.

I guess you can't have it all
post #17 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 PM
VKS Fab

I know what ya mean. I had the same issues with tub mounted sliders. My end result \/ . I haven't had an issue ever since. I'm HARD on my sliders.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #18 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Yep, I try not to piss off the vendors here too much about this, but all the tub mounted jobs do this if you beat em hard enough. Seem several PSC sets and this is the 2nd Poly set Ive seen do it. My Pure Jeeps were holding out pretty well for a long time, but after my last trip to Ridgecrest, now I am getting body damage from those too.

All these vendors make fantastic products, its just the tin-can sheetmetal that Jeep used on the heavy suckers. That, and folks do things with daily-driver Jeeps now that buggies wouldn't touch 10 years ago.

Came to the conclusion (with several other folks that wheel in my circle) that the frame mounted is the way to go if you wheel like a maniac. Just sucks that you have to loose all that precious ground clearance with a low center of gravity build.

I guess you can't have it all
Agreed about not wanting to pee in the vendors cheerios.

Though, I'm still not sure how much I agree with the "loosing ground clearance" They dont hang down lower than the frame. The lowest point is still the frame.....
post #19 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM
JKO Addict!

I have been saying this for years.
Body mounted sliders are a bad idea.
Period.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #20 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Though, I'm still not sure how much I agree with the "loosing ground clearance" They dont hang down lower than the frame. The lowest point is still the frame
I'm sitting pretty low on 40s. The lost 4-5" with frame mounted sliders would make frequent moves like this a little harder;

Name:  slider.JPG
Views: 1207
Size:  90.7 KB

But, its what I'm going to have to end up doing. Once the body damage with tub-mounted sliders starts, it only gets worse from there.
post #21 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Agreed about not wanting to pee in the vendors cheerios.

Though, I'm still not sure how much I agree with the "loosing ground clearance" They dont hang down lower than the frame. The lowest point is still the frame.....
X2

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #22 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
Frame mounted sliders FTW
^^^^^ yup
post #23 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Guys, I'm not trying to rile up the vendors either. Poly is great stand-up guys who make great stuff and are an asset to the Jeep community. These are at least as good as any other body-mounted sliders out there and probably better. ANYBODY'S would have suffered the same fate or worse in this situation. But hey, I'm a Jeeper and wheeling enthusiast first. If it comes down to being worried about riling the vendor who I'm helping keep in business with my own money, or helping out the rest of the Jeeping community with some information that could prove valuable....I share information in the community. I would expect the same of others and would be kinda ticked if they withheld something from the rest of us for that reason!

This was posted more as information the community could absorb and do with as they wish. Just sayin' these tubs aren't as strong or distribute the load as well as many of us have come to believe. From here on out for me, it's frame-mounted....and I too hate the ground clearance loss and hangup points. But, it's better than a cratered tub. Now for all, Poly included.

-Milton Friedman

Last edited by BADGER; 06-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.
post #24 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I'm sitting pretty low on 40s. The lost 4-5" with frame mounted sliders would make frequent moves like this a little harder;

But, its what I'm going to have to end up doing. Once the body damage with tub-mounted sliders starts, it only gets worse from there.
You are refering to 'outboard' ground clearance then....as in outside of the tube/frame itself. That'll agree with...as the frame is deffinately lower than the tub. But in that picture, you'd be pivoting on the frame mounted slider as apposed to clearing it (it looks like maybe? hard to tell). Pivoiting on sliders isnt a bad thing if they can support it. Also, your tires will still stick out further than the sliders......
post #25 of 83 Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I'm surprised no one from poly has chimed in, but as you've stated anything that mounts directly to the body no matter how well built is still going to distribute absorbed energy to the body so there will always be a chance of something like this.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode