Broken 30 again... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Broken 30 again...

Hey guys, I broke my d30 again (2 times now and I've been taking it easy since the first time). Short side shafts ears around u-joint let go. again... I wasn't even doing anything difficult. Sorry for no pics, buddy has them on his camera but he's currently hugging porcelain. When he feels better we'll download them.

My goal is to see if anyone knows how to make a junk yard axle work in the front. If I were to replace the axle with another I am not interested in a 44 or similar. Ideally, I'd run a dually axle so I could run H1 beadlocks without modification (I). But the issue is how do I get it to work with the JK electronics? I cannot afford an aftermarket axle that would solve this issue, but I'd rather run a balljoint 60 from 2001 or similar. I cannot afford custom parts like custom tone rings or whatever. What is the cheapest way to get a dually axle under the JK and which one would work? Mount modification is certainly doable, but the electronics is the trick.

Or, is the answer to just stop wheeling the JK all together? Again, I cannot afford to keep replacing my d30 shafts.

My '07 JKU has leveling pucks in the front, 315s, and that's it. Otherwise it's bone stock. How can I get cheap beef under the front that works with the system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Build a ford 9 inch! Or RCV"s I guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #3 of 17 Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just for clarification, you're just talking about the front axle from a dually, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

post #5 of 17 Old 06-19-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Just for clarification, you're just talking about the front axle from a dually, right?
I'd upgrade both axles using spacers for equaling out the track width, but the question centers around how do I get them to work electronically with the JK's equipment?

Unfortunately, the 30 may be bent also.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm confused. You're gonna run a dually axle in the rear of a JK? Please, tell me no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #7 of 17 Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
I'm confused
Agreed.

In the front, running a DRW front 60 (or AAM or whatever) with stock centered H1 double beadlocks equals standard fullsize rig width, which is a few inches wider than a JK and OK in my book. The wheels have 7" backspacing which negates the extra axle width over SRW.

If you run the stock H1 wheels on a SRW front axle you will need to hack the tie rod end mounting location off the knuckle and get custom steering arms depending on your steering setup. I have an old d44 with custom Wagoner Machine steering arms intended for just this purpose.

Chances are, the DRW rear axle is narrower than the DRW front, thus needing a spacer to even out the WMS.

Here's some good tech for you if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

I'd be happy installing either of the kingpin SRW front 60s I have on the ground but one's from a Chevy CUCV and the other's out of a Dodge 3/4 ton. I'd also be happy installing the CUCV 14b with Detroit or either of the 60 or the 80 rears I have on the ground, but they have no electronic ability at all in stock form.

Now, back to the topic- is there any way to get a junk yard AAM or 60 to play nicely with the JK electronics without a bunch of custom parts? Balljoints are fine.

If you don't have something constructive to add to this topic specifically, please refrain from posting in this thread.

I read where Ian at Extreme posted that he heard some guys have swapped axles with either larger or smaller tone rings into their rigs with no mods other than bracketry (and DS, which should be done on a lifted JK anyway). Anyone have any more info here? I really want this to be my long term wheeler but I will never be able to afford 4-10k on aftermarket axles. Thanks for your patience.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

02 Super Duty. Front 60 and rear Sterling. Have Tone Rings......search, its been done a few times here on JKO.

Method Motorsports

Email:
post #9 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM
VKS Fab

So nevermind the 60's for the moment. Do/have you been tacking the ujoint caps in on your D30?

Vick

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #10 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Granite Guru

While we're here, what exactly is different about the 44 and the 30?

I've broken my 44 U's twice. U's just break, that's how it goes. RCV's are SO much stronger. U's bind which usually leads to their demise.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
So nevermind the 60's for the moment. Do/have you been tacking the ujoint caps in on your D30?
I'd guess not. Full clip UJ's, RCV's, or tack welding the caps would have very possibly prevented this damage.

Gusseting the c's, sleeving and/or trussing the tubes, and aftermarket shafts (or tack welding the caps), can make a D30 pretty reliable, obviously depending on driving style, and is likely cheaper than any 60 you'll put in.

That said you don't get the strength of a D60. Didn't River raider put in a '86 Ford kingpin in a JK? I don't believe the Dodge tone ring setup will work with a JK. An early Ford (78-79) looks like it should be a good fit. May be get the unit bearings for a 60 from someone like Currie?

There was some talk of running all 4 sensors off of one, not sure if anyone ever tried this, but it may work.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
U's bind which usually leads to their demise.
Yes they do and RCV's pretty much resolve this issue. However, one of the most common cause of failure with stock shafts is the caps rotating, spitting out the c-clips, then the caps walking out, and hitting the ball joint stud. This can be prevented by simply tack welding the caps in place.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post

Vick
Thanks for the replys guys. I have heard of doing this, but have not tacked the caps. I will research it and see what comes of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
you don't get the strength of a D60.
Thanks for the informative posts PhilD. You have given tons of info on this and I appreciate it.

This is where I'm leaning. I mean you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. How many times am I going to replace the axles before I just do the darn upgrade... I see no point in putting money where I don't want it to go IF there is a cost effective alternative.

Quote:
I don't believe the Dodge tone ring setup will work with a JK.
WHY NOT!!! This is the whole cruxt of the issue right here. I'd rather not use a Sterling.

Quote:
An early Ford (78-79) looks like it should be a good fit. May be get the unit bearings for a 60 from someone like Currie?
See, here we go getting into more money. My goal was to plug and play a set of AAM (preferred) axles or Dana balljoint axles from around 2001 from a Dodge dually. I could get those relatively cheap and not be out much more than the d30 shafts. Then, mount them up and good to go. Any more thoughts on this?

If I spent money outside this it would be on something like the Spyntech lockouts, but don't have that money up front. I wonder if they could do their lockouts for the '00 Dodge dually, but with the JK tone/electronics setup... Hmmmm...
post #14 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
WHY NOT!!!
Just what I've been told, but I admit I don't have any first knowledge so can't say 100%. be nice if it were that easy though
post #15 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Any tone ring axles will work, BUT front and rear must be matching that is the trick. Must have same number of teeth front and rear. Only thing you will have to do is make adjustments with procal to dial in your speedo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #16 of 17 Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
Any tone ring axles will work, BUT front and rear must be matching that is the trick. Must have same number of teeth front and rear. Only thing you will have to do is make adjustments with procal to dial in your speedo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

See, this is what I was thinking. As long as the Dodge sensor will plug into the JK harness it "should" work. Even then, if it won't plug in , but the sensor has the same number of wires- splice that junk. Even then, if there's only one tone ring per axle, run a wire to the other side and run the two sensors off one tone ring. That would kill the BAS though and possibly make the ABS act funny.

I'm going to research Procal. I have no idea what it is at this point.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That procal is cheaper than I thought. Sounds like a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode