factory color match 14 27.45%
black 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Color match or black fenders??

Hey guys,

Just ordered my PSC tube fenders the other day. Looking to see opinions on weather to paint them factory color matched or just semi gloss black to match my bumpers and other armor??

What do you all think here? I'm leaning color matched.....but if they get all scratched up its more expensive to repair.

2008 2dr. Rubicon Red Rock Crystal Peral
AEM Brute Force CAI: LOTS of PSC stuff: 37" KM2's: 17" Spyderlock's: Currie Anti-Rock: Warn 9.5Ti: Dynatrac PR 44 front housing w/ARB : RCV's : Yukon 5.13's: Viair Onboard Air: custom lift w/ front coilovers: 3.5" front stretch: hydro assist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM
JKO Addict!

How about color match the sheet metal on the flares and rattle can or bedline the actual tubing of the flares?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thats a good idea, i think i noticed that in one of the pics on the PSC website. Hmmmm..... decisions decisions! LOL

AEM Brute Force CAI: LOTS of PSC stuff: 37" KM2's: 17" Spyderlock's: Currie Anti-Rock: Warn 9.5Ti: Dynatrac PR 44 front housing w/ARB : RCV's : Yukon 5.13's: Viair Onboard Air: custom lift w/ front coilovers: 3.5" front stretch: hydro assist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
How about color match the sheet metal on the flares and rattle can or bedline the actual tubing of the flares?
That would be sweet! Either way, make sure you post up pictures!!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #5 of 23 Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Granite Guru

Personally, I would paint them to match your jeep color.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
That would be sweet! Either way, make sure you post up pictures!!

-Jason
I will deffinately post pics once painted and installed. Thanks for such great service Jason!!

post #7 of 23 Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Colored fenders are a waste of money. They are one of the first things to get replaced to make room for more meat.

Jeep Owner's Motto: Equipment Failure is an Excuse for Upgrade
post #8 of 23 Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
Colored fenders are a waste of money. They are one of the first things to get replaced to make room for more meat.
You do realize he's getting tube fenders and wants to color match them? Not like he's contemplating tube fenders or Sahara flares

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #9 of 23 Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
This.

2007 JK Unlimited Steel Blue
For all your days prepare and meet them ever alike
post #10 of 23 Old 06-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Wheeler

Just my opinion but

the color matched fenders have always looked better to me. I have a Sahara and really liked the color matched fenders. However, keeping them looking good was a major pain. After knocking paint off of all four I now have Bushwacker flats. I even considered painting them to match but fortunately decided against it. If I had, they would be badly scratched after my last trip and I would be right back where I started.
post #11 of 23 Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Granite Guru

Well if it is a Sahara then color match would not be bad,any other IMHO should be black.
post #12 of 23 Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all your opinions guys. I'm just thinking the color match would look so good. I really am leaning toward the color match and then bed line the tubes.

The brown truck dropped off my present today anyhow. So now to test fit and then make the final decision as to how they will be finished.

I gotta shoot PSC a message tho cuz it looks like I got 2 of the rear fender install kits and only the gasket for the rears as well?? Oh well, no big deal I'll just send them a message and get it straightened out.

post #13 of 23 Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
JKowners Vendor

Pictures or it didn't happen!!

Let me know if you need help on getting the hardware and gasket taken care of buddy!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #14 of 23 Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Rock God

I voted for black but, mine IS black so, does that mean I really like the idea of color matched better?

I think either way they will look awesome! But, I really am looking forward to seeing pics of yours color matched since I haven't seen that as often!!!

What color is your Jeep?
post #15 of 23 Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I vote color match. Do you want to follow the rest of the lemmings or do what you think would look good. Here is a link to my color matched fenders. Not psc but it gives you an idea of the look. I painted them myself so I can touch them up when necessary. Go with good paint and prep the fenders well and they will turn out great.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50859

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
post #16 of 23 Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADERJKU View Post
What color is your Jeep?
mine is Red Rock (burgundy red)

post #17 of 23 Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonunit View Post
I vote color match. Do you want to follow the rest of the lemmings or do what you think would look good. Here is a link to my color matched fenders. Not psc but it gives you an idea of the look. I painted them myself so I can touch them up when necessary. Go with good paint and prep the fenders well and they will turn out great.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50859
Nice Jeep carbonunit! Man is that sharp, do we have the same color Jeep? Also what paint did you use? Brand and where did you get it from?

post #18 of 23 Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

I vote the flat black

Bryan
Sent from my smoke signals
post #19 of 23 Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVHVAC View Post
Nice Jeep carbonunit! Man is that sharp, do we have the same color Jeep? Also what paint did you use? Brand and where did you get it from?
Looks like our jeep is the same color.

I got the paint from a local automotive paint store. This is the first thing I have ever painted with a spray gun instead of a rattle can. The guns I used were from pep boys and were not top of the line but they worked well. My compressor was just an under powered 20 gallon one but it worked great. It took about 3 hours start to finish to get it painted.

I used a self etching primer they suggested. It was a rattle can they had on the shelf. The base color was a sikkens automotive paint. I painted them twice but I used a pint of paint. I covered it with a clear from Wanda. It all came together well.

If you paint it color match yourself Don't stress if the colors don't match exactly. I did but once it is on the jeep sometimes the fenders look light and others it is dead on. It just depends on the light. I already have some pinstripes on them but that is what jeeping is about.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
post #20 of 23 Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
What he said.
post #21 of 23 Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonunit View Post
Looks like our jeep is the same color.

I got the paint from a local automotive paint store. This is the first thing I have ever painted with a spray gun instead of a rattle can. The guns I used were from pep boys and were not top of the line but they worked well. My compressor was just an under powered 20 gallon one but it worked great. It took about 3 hours start to finish to get it painted.

I used a self etching primer they suggested. It was a rattle can they had on the shelf. The base color was a sikkens automotive paint. I painted them twice but I used a pint of paint. I covered it with a clear from Wanda. It all came together well.

If you paint it color match yourself Don't stress if the colors don't match exactly. I did but once it is on the jeep sometimes the fenders look light and others it is dead on. It just depends on the light. I already have some pinstripes on them but that is what jeeping is about.
Very cool! Thanks for the great info. I think I'm pretty set on color match and then bed line the tubes for added protection. The white Jeep on Poison Spyders website looks real good with that combination. I'll post up the pics as soon as they are done. I called PSC today and they are sending me the correct hardware kit for the front. Should be a couple weeks an I'll have them done. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

post #22 of 23 Old 06-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVHVAC View Post
Very cool! Thanks for the great info. I think I'm pretty set on color match and then bed line the tubes for added protection. The white Jeep on Poison Spyders website looks real good with that combination. I'll post up the pics as soon as they are done. I called PSC today and they are sending me the correct hardware kit for the front. Should be a couple weeks an I'll have them done. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Good Choice. I can't wait for the pics.
I am a little perplexed why everyone thinks we need our rigs to look like they were driven straight out of Beyond Thunderdome. On the other hand if you paint it and don't wheel it who cares how it looks.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
post #23 of 23 Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Color match with black tubes!

Sent from my cellular communication device.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode