I Am Waging War Against My Dash Warning Lights.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Angry I Am Waging War Against My Dash Warning Lights..

I have had enough of the fake bake suntan I was getting from my dash lights.. I have/had the all of the following glowing for some time now..

ESP/BAS
ABS
The skidding car
BRAKE
Sway Bar Disco
Air Bag
Low Tire Pressure Warning

This thread will document my war efforts against these dastardly lights..

I have thus far killed the ESP/BAS, ABS, BRAKE, and skidding car in my opening battle... though a good fight was put up by the enemy.

I have had these lights since I put the RJ60 in.. I knew it had to have something to do with the wheel sensors and since they were cheap I ordered all 4. The fronts are the same and the rears are the same.

So 2 weeks ago I changed them out.. and low and behold no traction control oriented lights on the dash.. woohoo that was easy... fast forward a week and blam.. all the lights appear once again and this time they brought back up... now along with the ESP/BAS, ABS, and skidding car i got the BRAKE light.. WTF!

I look quickly to see if I ripped out a wire.. nope.. all looked good.. that is until a few days later I looked closer. Apparently the wires coming out of the hub were rubbing on an inner lip of the RJ60 rotor and finally cut through both sides.

The way the wires are molded they are directed outward toward the wheel so the wire has to bend around itself and head back inward.. this loop was what rubbed. I thought for sure there had to be a left and right sensor with the wires molded differently for each side... nope.. they are the same. It is the rotors that are used on the RJ60 that have a inner lower lip than on a factory setup. So I have put in new sensors and tried my best to take out all the slack and pull them taught but even then they are extremely close to the lip of the rotor.. its probably only a matter of time before it happens again.

Here is a shot of the sensor turned 180 in its hole and shows how you would think it would go with how its molded but the sensor wont work put in like this.

So now that I have a majority of the lights at bay.. I want to tackle the airbag light since I have changed my front seats to a pair of Twisted Stitch's and my rig was originally equipped with side impact airbags in the seats. Since the swap I have had this damn airbag light on.

Venom gave me this advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Hit,
since your airbag light is on because you swapped seats and no longer have the side air bags, might try just putting a 3.3 ohm resistor across the jeep side harness to trick it into thinking it sees the bag.

that has worked on several vehicles that I changed the steering wheel out on - Ford, chevy and honda computers all fell for it.

DISCLAIMER!!
Do this at your own risk!
Disabling such monumental safety features such a small light on the dash may cause you to be less safe in your lifted, modified, high COG vehicle!
Removal of a safety light may lead to:
Death, injury, dismemberment, alcohol allergy, constipation, hemorrhoids, anal leakage, an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, the extinction of several unrecognized rain forest species, a bent axle, an unbent axle or internet verbal assault by safety nazis - or more probably a slightly better driving experience with a slightly dimmer dash.
Well, sadly, this doesn't work.

I have searched the innernets a bit and found that different OEM's use different parameters so its hopefully just finding the correct resistor to fool the system and turn off the light... I will report when/if I find the right one. I don't want to measure the ohms on the factory seat cause I don't want to potentially blow the bag.

Next is the sway bar light.. it blinks incessantly since the removal of the e-disco. This light should be solved soon by an update to my Diablo Sport trinity programmer. (fingers crossed)

Then all I will have left is the low tire pressure warning light.. Diablo Sport programmers can turn this off IF you still have the sensors in your wheels.. duh.. the reason the light is on is because I don't have the sensors anymore so I don't have an answer for this one yet... if you do please let me know.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Rock God

LOL same issues here. Subscribed.

My JKO BLACK WIDOW BUILD THREAD:

Big Thanks to Jason at

In process: One TONS, 44" Tires, Comp CUT,
Strertched, Hydro Assist, TF 6" LA,
Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #3 of 20 Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 PM
JKO Addict!

mine is a dead clock spring or air bag light..im already not safe i just wanna kill the damn light!

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well tried sensors in the glove box trick, that didn't work...

The light I'm fight are the TPMS, sway bar light.

I just updated my aeroforce gauge to have the the sway bar delete. So let's see if that help..

I originally had no light with the proclal and RJ's, but when I went with the RIPP headers, I wanted the header tune, lights back on..

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #5 of 20 Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 PM
JKO Addict!

black tape?....i hate that answer

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #6 of 20 Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post

I don't want to measure the ohms on the factory seat cause I don't want to potentially blow the bag.
Impossible. Go ahead and measure Ohms with a DVOM.

Quote:
Next is the sway bar light.. it blinks incessantly since the removal of the e-disco. This light should be solved soon by an update to my Diablo Sport trinity programmer. (fingers crossed)

Then all I will have left is the low tire pressure warning light.. Diablo Sport programmers can turn this off IF you still have the sensors in your wheels.. duh.. the reason the light is on is because I don't have the sensors anymore so I don't have an answer for this one yet... if you do please let me know.
Two words: AEV ProCal.

It will resolve both issues.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #7 of 20 Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you prob already have the idea, but heres an easy fix for sensor wiring and I also added about 6-8 inches to the harness above the plug. I spliced the rubber boots on the wiring harness and used them in the clamps for isolating the wiring into position.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #8 of 20 Old 06-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Superchips flashpaq will shut off tpms completely. I have no sensors in my rims and no warning light on my dash as a result.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #9 of 20 Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

I got all my lights off the other day
Except the swap bar

My ESP/abs etc was a loose Connection in the passenger side speed sensor line zip tied them together
The airbag light was fixed with a connector taking off my stock seat bracket I'll try and post a pic of it when I get home as the jeeps in my garage

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #10 of 20 Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Granite Guru

i have my esp/bas and tcs lights on. im sure its a wheel sensor issue but i just havent gotten around to checking or replacing them if necessary.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Impossible. Go ahead and measure Ohms with a DVOM..

Agreed. Or you could also put a potentiometer in it and just adjust that until the light stops coming on.

post #12 of 20 Old 06-18-2011, 03:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Hit its hard to see but can you trim the inside lip of thre rotor off on a lathe?

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #13 of 20 Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbsjeep View Post
Agreed. Or you could also put a potentiometer in it and just adjust that until the light stops coming on.
Do this. That's a really good idea. Adjust it until it goes off like curb said and then if you want to take it off and measure the resistance and just buy a resister in that size.

As for the TPMS, why don't you all just put them in? Are they just not compatible with the wheels you have? I'm a total n00b on this.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
mine is a dead clock spring or air bag light..im already not safe i just wanna kill the damn light!
REPLACED BOTH !!! I think I paid about $235 for the clockspring and about $375 for the new mopar jeep JK kakki airbag !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
black tape?....i hate that answer
THATS NOT FOR ME

Subscribing to this Thread.........

Mine have been varied, (all flashing + horn sound) to Just the AIR BAG Light.

Have not purchased new driver side seat position sensor. Maybe it fixes maybe it doesn't. Too lazy to find out actually !!!

The Project is moving forward.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbsjeep View Post
I bought one a Radio Shack today.. so we'll see if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Hit its hard to see but can you trim the inside lip of thre rotor off on a lathe?
Probably could but I don't think its necessary.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #16 of 20 Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Keep us posted we have people wheeling up here with dashes that look like christmas trees. Any way to kill the Edisco light without paying the dealer to do it?

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #17 of 20 Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 AM
Granite Guru

Any update?
post #18 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Granite Guru

Any progress on the airbag light?

TNT Customs
Genright
Poison Spyder
Or-Fab
River Raider
Mastercraft
Spod
M.O.R.E.
Goodyear
Diablosport
post #19 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by km2jk View Post
Any progress on the airbag light?
Nope.. I tried a bunch of different resistors with no luck.. tried a potentiometer with no luck..

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #20 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah I have mine too........ Still have not tried a new seat position sensor.

The Project is moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode