River Raider snorkel question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
River Raider snorkel question

OK, finally am getting around to installing the gen 2 snorkel I bought a while ago. What are you guys doing about the PCV situation? Is there a nifty quick filter install or what?

When you install kenny's system you reverse the airflow through the filter and the PCV hose is now sucking in unfiltered air. Not a deal breaker but there is no mention of it in the instructions (nor the fact you need to clean or replace your air filter). I am figuring somebody has the easy fix and I would like to know before I start using my limited brain to rig something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
OK, finally am getting around to installing the gen 2 snorkel I bought a while ago. What are you guys doing about the PCV situation? Is there a nifty quick filter install or what?

When you install kenny's system you reverse the airflow through the filter and the PCV hose is now sucking in unfiltered air. Not a deal breaker but there is no mention of it in the instructions (nor the fact you need to clean or replace your air filter). I am figuring somebody has the easy fix and I would like to know before I start using my limited brain to rig something up.
I just did everything the instruction manual said, and I haven't had any problems... Mind you, I have changed the air filter a couples of times since then; but the install was about 30,000 miles ago.

**NOTE**
When cutting the hole in the fender for the snorkel, I suggest using a hole saw that is just a millimeter larger. My snorkel was painted, so it was as large in diameter as the hole (NO wiggle room whatsoever).

Last edited by ChrisW; 06-16-2011 at 07:11 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

Had mine on for over 3 years now, followed the instructions and never had a problem at all.

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The thing is the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) mainly lets air out but also lets air into the engine. After the rerouting of the airflow it is unfiltered air. Will this show a visible problem in the short run no but, long term is will increase wear.

I am pragmatic about air filters and have no problem running a K&N in my stuff have for years in fact in other rigs. Some people freak out and will not run high flow filters. That said this situation does bother me. I'll guess I'lll check into an inline filter.

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

post #5 of 10 Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

ok, you lost me. The snorkel ties in to the factory air box with the air filter in it. It does not bypass the air box.

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Yes this question is misleading. The snorkel kit does not by-pass the filter. The instructions are clear and show how to make a sealed connection that allows only filtered air into the engine. We do recommend a high flow filter like a K&N flat panel filter in the factory air box.

RIVER RAIDER OFF-ROAD

post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

he is talking about the small hose that connects to the side of airbox.

I'e had mine almost 3.5 years now and 82K miles with my snorkel and zero issues. worried about it cut a small piece of old filter and silcone or tape it to the inside of the airbox where the PCV hose connects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #8 of 10 Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Rock God

Going on 4 years and not one problem! I love this system! I just hooked up my hoses different. I was afraid of water getting in the air box and sitting on the filter but I never found any water getting in to the air box even after one of our nasty Florida rains!!!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Yes this question is misleading. The snorkel kit does not by-pass the filter. The instructions are clear and show how to make a sealed connection that allows only filtered air into the engine. We do recommend a high flow filter like a K&N flat panel filter in the factory air box.
No Kenny the question is not misleading if you know what a PCV is. To fully explain for those who do not know what a PCV valve is... there is pressure that passes the piston rings and will pressurize the crank case. The PCV valve allows the air to be vented relieving the pressure. Although, most of the air flow is out of the crank case there is airflow into the engine. This is why the engineers routed the PCV hose to the filtered side of the air box. Your design does not allow for this.

Is this a huge issue? No, but when I was looking at it I figured others would have already noticed it and solved the issue. I was thinking 2 replies at the most and I would have a quick convenient fix. I guess I was wrong and what really surprises me is that you did not know this or choose to ignore it. I realize you are a fabricator but this is not rocket science either.

I suggest you please continue to offer top notch products but do not ignore when small issues arise.

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

post #10 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
No Kenny the question is not misleading if you know what a PCV is. To fully explain for those who do not know what a PCV valve is... there is pressure that passes the piston rings and will pressurize the crank case. The PCV valve allows the air to be vented relieving the pressure. Although, most of the air flow is out of the crank case there is airflow into the engine. This is why the engineers routed the PCV hose to the filtered side of the air box. Your design does not allow for this.

Is this a huge issue? No, but when I was looking at it I figured others would have already noticed it and solved the issue. I was thinking 2 replies at the most and I would have a quick convenient fix. I guess I was wrong and what really surprises me is that you did not know this or choose to ignore it. I realize you are a fabricator but this is not rocket science either.

I suggest you please continue to offer top notch products but do not ignore when small issues arise.
Really smarty pants if you have compression leaking past you rings you have a bigger problem than knowing or not knowing what a PFC is. Crank case pressure is from an engines down stroke.

Message spread by Paul Revere

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode