Powertank Packages - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Powertank Packages

I'd like a 10lb Powertank. What Powertank option would you recommend for mild use. I would be airing four 35" tires from about 15psi to 30psi once or twice each month.

I know that Package B is the most popular and is the one most retailers recommend, but do I need everything it comes with, or can I get by with the basic package or Package A. The price difference is more than $100.

Are the better regulators, valves, etc. REALLY that much better? What should I expect from the basic package?

Thanks.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm curious about this as well (also use 35s). I have the mother of all portable compressors, and it still just takes too damn long to air up.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #3 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Call and they will hook you up of what you need only, He'll work with you..

A 10 lb. is good for the trail

air up from 8 to 25 lbs, and still have left, however i carry a spare tank and leave it at camp.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by andrelopez99; 06-14-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I would go with the Package B for the difference in money.

I'm a Powertank dealer and can help you make that difference a little easier to swallow too.

Let me know if I can help!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I have one left 10lb package B yellow

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...hlight=airpark

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Granite Guru

What do these go for? I'm curious how it would compare with just bringing along a 40 cf scuba cylinder with regulator and tire fill adapter. I could even get a mount/straps for it. Total cost would be about $300 for used stuff.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Appx street costs of a new 10lb tank is $340 for basic package, $380 for package A and $450 for package B. Of course, these are street costs at the cheapest places around. If you buy from a reputable dealer, the prices may be a little over that, plus shipping, etc.

I'm looking at a basic package right now, but am also considering a compressor with a 2-gal storage tank as a viable option.

post #8 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
What do these go for? I'm curious how it would compare with just bringing along a 40 cf scuba cylinder with regulator and tire fill adapter. I could even get a mount/straps for it. Total cost would be about $300 for used stuff.
CO2 systems can range from the mid 400 range down to just below 200 (low end price is you tracking down all the needed parts-easily done). The output pressure is about the same for both (some CO2 systems have adjustable output). Also the CO2 system would outlast a 40 CF tank. Most guys claim they can air up 4-5 times with a CO2 system and I would figure you could only do one maybe 3 off a tank that size.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Go to your local welding store like airgas. I run a 20lb beverage tank(this way it's a nice spun aluminum tank with handle on top. These are $90-$100. Constant regulator 100-150 psi is $35. Then all you need is your hose.. I can do mine and 4 other jeeps going from 8psi to 30psi. Going this route when your bottle is empty you just drop it off and grab another bottle and go. Problem with powertank is 1. Refilling most places will require you drop it off, and when they need to do some bottles then it will get filled.
2. All bottles have a date stamped on them, when your powertank date expires. Alot of places have to ship them out for inspection and new stamping so you lose it for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #10 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
Go to your local welding store like airgas. I run a 20lb beverage tank(this way it's a nice spun aluminum tank with handle on top. These are $90-$100. Constant regulator 100-150 psi is $35. Then all you need is your hose.. I can do mine and 4 other jeeps going from 8psi to 30psi. Going this route when your bottle is empty you just drop it off and grab another bottle and go. Problem with powertank is 1. Refilling most places will require you drop it off, and when they need to do some bottles then it will get filled.
2. All bottles have a date stamped on them, when your powertank date expires. Alot of places have to ship them out for inspection and new stamping so you lose it for awhile
Thanks. I looked into this. There's a beverage place nearby called American Brewmaster - it's only 4 miles from my house and they will refill a Powertank. I spoke to them yesterday and they told me they fill a few of them already for some other off-road junkies. They charge $30 for a 10-lb tank and fill it on the spot in less than 5 minutes. They make sure the tank has been inspected at least once in the past 5 years - so every 5 years at least it should get inspected - which I think is a good idea anyways.

I was looking for a Powertank for this weekend, but I think I may just wait and install the Viair HD system with a 2-gal tank under the hood and the quick release at the driver's footwell. It's a little slower than a Powertank, but still sufficiently fast to not be annoying, has unlimited air, there are no storage issues and it costs about the same.

Thanks for all the repsonses.

post #11 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Thanks. I looked into this. There's a beverage place nearby called American Brewmaster - it's only 4 miles from my house and they will refill a Powertank. I spoke to them yesterday and they told me they fill a few of them already for some other off-road junkies. They charge $30 for a 10-lb tank and fill it on the spot in less than 5 minutes. They make sure the tank has been inspected at least once in the past 5 years - so every 5 years at least it should get inspected - which I think is a good idea anyways.

I was looking for a Powertank for this weekend, but I think I may just wait and install the Viair HD system with a 2-gal tank under the hood and the quick release at the driver's footwell. It's a little slower than a Powertank, but still sufficiently fast to not be annoying, has unlimited air, there are no storage issues and it costs about the same.

Thanks for all the repsonses.
I like your plan! I think it suits your needs better than the Powertank and come on....who wouldn't want an air chuck by their steering wheel!? Lol!

You could scare your passengers with an impact wrench noise while driving...

I'm out of my mind, yes I am.

Sent from my cellular communication device.

post #12 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I like your plan! I think it suits your needs better than the Powertank and come on....who wouldn't want an air chuck by their steering wheel!? Lol!

You could scare your passengers with an impact wrench noise while driving...

I'm out of my mind, yes I am.

Sent from my cellular communication device.
Say, you wouldn't happen to have one of these Viair kits for sale, would you? I didn't see it on your website.

post #13 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Granite Guru

Having looked into it, looks like a 10 lb tank is close to an 80 cf cylinder. Fortunately, I have a spare 95 cf cylinder and an easy way to mount it, spare regulator/hose. All I'd need is the air chuck ($15-ish). The bonus is refilling only costs about $5.

Eventually I'll go the same route and get a compressor, though. Honestly, tanks just seem to be more hassle than the minutes saved is worth.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #14 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Welding shops are much cheaper and just swap out tanks.
Costs me $11-$13 to swap out my 10lb tank.
Home brew beer shops are expensive when it comes to co2, from my experience....also buy a fixed pressure regulator, I have an adjustable regulator and it freezes up and leaks every use.

FYI a 10lb tank fills my 4, 35" tires from 8lbs to 30lbs, then it's almost empty.
post #15 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM

i run a 20lb co2 traded an old welding bottle or there about 100 bucks, guage reads hose pressure and tank pressure 60 bucks both from welding supply store and a home depot 200 psi hose 15 bucks . running 35s 15lbs to 35lbs i have used it about 7 times and am now needing to refill witch only costs 18 bucks. and i can air uo in about .... well less then 10 minutes
post #16 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Say, you wouldn't happen to have one of these Viair kits for sale, would you? I didn't see it on your website.
Just saw this...I can get anything you want. Except for Rough Country. LOL

Marcus

**That is not a blow at Rough Country. I just went round and round with them this morning trying to get an account. They don't want me. LOL

post #17 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Just saw this...I can get anything you want. Except for Rough Country. LOL

Marcus

2007 JK Unlimited Steel Blue
For all your days prepare and meet them ever alike
post #18 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Granite Guru

Be sure to check out Paintball supply stores as well.. I have a local store I use for my 10lb tank. 21 bucks, while I wait.
post #19 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Rock God

I don't see why Powertank stuff is so expensive. Tanks are a commodity and It really isn't that difficult to make a decent regulator. Anybody use systems by Offroad air? (http://www.amazon.com/OffRoad-Air-OA...258411&sr=1-13).
post #20 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Poly Performance/Synergy offers some cool builder parts for air systems too!

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-1-c-754.html

If you see something you like let me know! We offer a JKO special on all Synergy and Poly Performance offerings!

Marcus

post #21 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

if im not mistaken Hitmoney uses one of them if i recall the popcicle bottle picture right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #22 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Love my 10# power tank. Puts bead back on with 40" tires no problem and super fast air-up.

The best part that Powertank sells is their digital inflater with the clip-chuck. This is the best piece of air-up gear I have ever used, and everything else totally sucks in comparison after you use one of these. No more 2 handed fill-ups while stooping in awkward positions

http://www.powertank.com/products/sf.../productID/364
post #23 of 23 Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince1 View Post
I don't see why Powertank stuff is so expensive. Tanks are a commodity and It really isn't that difficult to make a decent regulator. Anybody use systems by Offroad air? (http://www.amazon.com/OffRoad-Air-OA...258411&sr=1-13).
Quote:
Originally Posted by knyland View Post
if im not mistaken Hitmoney uses one of them if i recall the popcicle bottle picture right.
Yip.

Fills my tires up just as quick as a Power Tank...lol

Although... I really like that candy blue tank that Power Tank offers... its purdy.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode