Aussie Locker in Dana 44 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Aussie Locker in Dana 44

So I recently wheeled with a guy who has Aussie lockers front and rear in his XJ and it got me thinking even more about my rear axle. Seeing as how I have the Aussie in the front and love it, I'm thinking I want to add an Aussie in my rear non-rubi 44. I've read all sorts of different things at different places about the Aussie for a 30 spline dana 44 not working in out JKs...does anyone know if any of this is true or if it will work?

Is anyone running an Aussie or Spartan locker in the rear 44?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
So I recently wheeled with a guy who has Aussie lockers front and rear in his XJ and it got me thinking even more about my rear axle. Seeing as how I have the Aussie in the front and love it, I'm thinking I want to add an Aussie in my rear non-rubi 44. I've read all sorts of different things at different places about the Aussie for a 30 spline dana 44 not working in out JKs...does anyone know if any of this is true or if it will work?

Is anyone running an Aussie or Spartan locker in the rear 44?
why not a detroit? mine has been great.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Rock God

I'll tell you what I know. I waited a year for a JK specific Aussie for the D30 only to find there was a running change somewhere and I didn't need the JK specific blue shims. I'd call them direct and ask what the chances are of it working. The tech I spoke with was great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I plan on running the Dana44 Aussie in my open rear diff. I was going to use a Detroit but I am pinching pennies right now so I'm trying to get the most out of my dana44. I know someone on here is running it. I can't remember who I talked to about it but he said it installed the same as the front and no issues. Needs to be a completely open dana44 for it to work.

Maybe- Suffolk JK

Last edited by 4x4x4; 06-13-2011 at 09:53 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Granite Guru

if cost is an issue, i welded my spider gears when my jk had 1K mile on it, now she has 12K and still no problems...

Rusty's 3.25 lift
35x12.5-15 bfg km2
15x8 soft eights
cut front stubby bumper
rough country winch plate
harbor freight 8K winch
Lincoln rear locker
aussie front locker
spal fan
post #6 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox5 View Post
because 1 he can do by himself in the garage and the other requires a little better set of tools.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Rock God

The carrier that was in mine had a bunch of shim packs in it. I don't know if you can take those shim packs out, I don't believe you can. This was on a jeep with the track lock. I broke my rear carrier, ring and pinion so I replaced the carrier with one out of a Dana 44 from an older full size jeep, which is fully open, and a set of 4.10 gears Adam from Tribe gave me. So I plan on running a lunch box locker in the rear of mine but only cause I have a carrier out of an older jeep that it can go in.
I don't think it would work without a different carrier.
Pic of all the stuff that is in the center of the stock JK carrier.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Rock God

i dont think they make an aussie for the jk d44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox5 View Post
Yeah, I'm really happy with my Detroit too.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
The carrier that was in mine had a bunch of shim packs in it. I don't know if you can take those shim packs out, I don't believe you can. This was on a jeep with the track lock. I broke my rear carrier, ring and pinion so I replaced the carrier with one out of a Dana 44 from an older full size jeep, which is fully open, and a set of 4.10 gears Adam from Tribe gave me. So I plan on running a lunch box locker in the rear of mine but only cause I have a carrier out of an older jeep that it can go in.
I don't think it would work without a different carrier.
Pic of all the stuff that is in the center of the stock JK carrier.
There are a lot of X models out there with open diffs. This one was a limited slip.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
There are a lot of X models out there with open diffs. This one was a limited slip.
Thats what I was thinking. Mine is a Sahara so maybe they come with a limited slip. I would think as long as you have an open carrier you should be able to get a lunch box locker. Get one that fits in a Dana 44 with 30 spline shafts and you should be good to go.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Rock God

The JK D44 (open or LSD) won't accept a Lunchbox locker (unless something VERY new is out now). You'll need to change out the carrier for an open carrier from an earlier version. You'll need a 3.73 and down case, not the 3.92 and up case that you would expect. All D44 JKs use a 'thick' gear and the 3.92 and up case will not work with any gear set. You'll also need to drill out the ring gear flange as JK 44s all have 7/16" or 1/2" ring gear bolts. The earlier cases used 3/8" bolts.

I never recommend a lunchbox for rear axle applications as failure is pretty common. These lockers also wear over time (a Detroit doesn't) and will wear out. You can gain extra life in them by flipping the gears from side to side BEFORE they wear too far.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
The JK D44 (open or LSD) won't accept a Lunchbox locker (unless something VERY new is out now). You'll need to change out the carrier for an open carrier from an earlier version. You'll need a 3.73 and down case, not the 3.92 and up case that you would expect. All D44 JKs use a 'thick' gear and the 3.92 and up case will not work with any gear set. You'll also need to drill out the ring gear flange as JK 44s all have 7/16" or 1/2" ring gear bolts. The earlier cases used 3/8" bolts.

I never recommend a lunchbox for rear axle applications as failure is pretty common. These lockers also wear over time (a Detroit doesn't) and will wear out. You can gain extra life in them by flipping the gears from side to side BEFORE they wear too far.
Great info. I have the trac-loc limited slip in the rear but its so beat up that it acts like an open carrier. I've been leaning toward a detroit for a while, but i think i may go lunchbox because its about $400 cheaper and i love the aussie in my front 30.

So as I understand it, if I get a dana 44 carrier from out of a TJ that is 3.73 and down I can use my JK 5.13 "thick" ring gears, drill out the holes to make it fit, then install the lunchbox locker?

I may save longer and go for a detroit, but it all depends how impatient I get.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #14 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Great info. I have the trac-loc limited slip in the rear but its so beat up that it acts like an open carrier. I've been leaning toward a detroit for a while, but i think i may go lunchbox because its about $400 cheaper and i love the aussie in my front 30.

So as I understand it, if I get a dana 44 carrier from out of a TJ that is 3.73 and down I can use my JK 5.13 "thick" ring gears, drill out the holes to make it fit, then install the lunchbox locker?

I may save longer and go for a detroit, but it all depends how impatient I get.
You are correct. The same work (actually more) will be required to put in an open diff with a lunchbox compared to a Detroit. Also, one bit of advice, check the ring gear backlash before you remove the existing gear. Regardless of the measurement, you need to copy this measurement when you install the new(different) differential. This is crucial.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Your guys advice on this board is excellent. This type of support is the reason Dynatrac is a Major Player.

Rock On.

Method Motorsports

Email:
post #16 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Granite Guru

Sent from a place where there are no roads.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-01-2015, 04:42 PM

Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here to help with questions.

Aussie Locker is the only Automatic Locker on the market with JK specific lockers.

You can't install an auto locker in the rear axle of 2012 and newer JK's with automatic transmissions - it's a wheel speed sensor issue and will throw the vehicle in to limp mode. We are currently working with SuperChips to address this issue.

Aussie Lockers can only be installed in Open Carriers.

Hope this helps, let me know if any other questions come up or if I missed any.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode