RK 2.5" Stock Mod Improves MPH - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

RK 2.5" Stock Mod Improves MPH

Yesterday I installed my new Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod suspension lift (Thanks Marcus) with a few buddies of mine. The process was quick and painless.
There are two things I am baffled about though. #1) I measured roughly 19" from the ground to my (aftermarket) bumper before the install. I actually measured it several times just because I have OCD or something. After the install its 24". I got 5" !?!? Whatever...it looks awesome. And Yes...I measured in the same place on level ground.

#2) I was getting under 15 MPH according to the computer before the install. Afterwards, I was leaving my buddies house. I noticed my steering wheel was WAY off and the ESB started giving me greif. I kind of expected this and corrected it today, but as I looked at my dash yesterday I was getting almost 18 MPH. This is weird cuz I have only exceeded 18 MPH a handful of times in the 2 1/2 years I have owned it. All day today, the great mileage continues. Any ideas why? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just saw that I wrote MPH in the title of this post. I meant MPG. I'm just anticipating the backlash, and trying to avoid it. HA HA
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapnincapt View Post
Yesterday I installed my new Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod suspension lift (Thanks Marcus) with a few buddies of mine. The process was quick and painless.
There are two things I am baffled about though. #1) I measured roughly 19" from the ground to my (aftermarket) bumper before the install. I actually measured it several times just because I have OCD or something. After the install its 24". I got 5" !?!? Whatever...it looks awesome. And Yes...I measured in the same place on level ground.

#2) I was getting under 15 MPH according to the computer before the install. Afterwards, I was leaving my buddies house. I noticed my steering wheel was WAY off and the ESB started giving me greif. I kind of expected this and corrected it today, but as I looked at my dash yesterday I was getting almost 18 MPH. This is weird cuz I have only exceeded 18 MPH a handful of times in the 2 1/2 years I have owned it. All day today, the great mileage continues. Any ideas why? Anyone?
Hopefully I'll be getting my stock mod on this week!

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

As much as I'd love to tell you otherwise, the OEM computer will NEVER be an accurate enough way to report REAL fuel economy. Fill up, and drive until you need gas again. Fill up again (do NOT top off), and divide the number of miles driven by how many gallons you pumped. That is REAL fuel economy. That's a home version of how the EPA does it. The computer is a SWAG- Scientific Wild Ass Guess Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #5 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
As much as I'd love to tell you otherwise, the OEM computer will NEVER be an accurate enough way to report REAL fuel economy. Fill up, and drive until you need gas again. Fill up again (do NOT top off), and divide the number of miles driven by how many gallons you pumped. That is REAL fuel economy. That's a home version of how the EPA does it. The computer is a SWAG- Scientific Wild Ass Guess Mark W.
Yeah...I know it's not ultra accurate, but it's odd to see numbers that I NEVER see. I think for some reason it was F' ed up before and now it's working better or something.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

How many miles on the Jeep? It's possible it's just breaking in?
It'd be VERY unique to find that increasing drag via lifting a Jeep actually improved fuel economy- that's why I'm curious- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #7 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm calling bullshit...a lift will never increase mpg..doesnt madder what cpu says..you just added weight and drag...neither of the two would have a posotive effect in that direction...decrease yes! mabe you just caught a good tail wind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #8 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
How many miles on the Jeep? It's possible it's just breaking in?
It'd be VERY unique to find that increasing drag via lifting a Jeep actually improved fuel economy- that's why I'm curious- Mark W.
I bought it new in March 2008 and it's got over 27K on it. I know it defies all logic. I think the computer was lying to me the whole time and something corrected it after I reconnected the battery. I disconnected it to weld the rear track bar bracket on. (Rock Krawler sells it as a "bolt on" kit, and it is. But in the install directions it says to weld the bracket on if you want to take it off road. So the "bolt on" part is slightly mis leading.)
post #9 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Rock God

nice man. if you ever need any help with mods just shoot me a PM. i live in newport beach.

pluke.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

only way to truly know your MPG is to calculate it by hand. the computer is pretty worthless, especially if you've changed tire size without calibrating the speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
nice man. if you ever need any help with mods just shoot me a PM. i live in newport beach.

pluke.
Thanks Pluke. Many mods to come as soon as my wallet and wife allow. I'm in Rossmoor which is next to Seal Beach, so we are "almost" neighbors.

I'm always looking for people to wheel with too since all my loser friends actually have jobs!
post #12 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks Pluke. Many mods to come as soon as my wallet and wife allow. I'm in Rossmoor which is next to Seal Beach, so we are "almost" neighbors.

I'm always looking for people to wheel with too since all my loser friends actually have jobs!
Going to a trail called Cleghorn pretty soon. Probably go up on Fathers Day (Sunday) or the weekend after next. Just PM me if you ever feel like going wheeling.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #13 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Wheeler

Do you have any pics of the lift? what tires are you running? And lastly...2 Door or 4 door. Thanks!
post #14 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
Do you have any pics of the lift? what tires are you running? And lastly...2 Door or 4 door. Thanks!
I will post some pics tomorrow. It's a four door and right now I just have the stock 32" BFG's (the ones that come on a Rubicon). I am gettin some 35" tires as soon as I get some money, but in my opinion it looks better than it did before. I didn't like how the front was way lower than the rear...it sat like a stink bug.

I'm gonna try and sell some guitars to get some tires. Who needs a guitar? I have 9 of them!
post #15 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Im waiting for the "aev lift is engineered for the Jk so it improves mpg over the rk". Lol

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #16 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Im waiting for the "aev lift is engineered for the Jk so it improves mpg over the rk". Lol
that debate is still over in the Draken lift thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
I just saw that I wrote MPH in the title of this post. I meant MPG. I'm just anticipating the backlash, and trying to avoid it. HA HA
If we could add horsepower with our kits we certainly would! LOL.

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode