Comparison - RK 3.5" and Teraflex 3"? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Comparison - RK 3.5" and Teraflex 3"?

I am building up my suspension slowly. I threw on an inexpensive Rough Country lift right when I got my JKU because I can't stand being stock. I didn't have the funds for the Rock Krawler and Teraflex components right away. I have narrowed down my choices for final suspension to RK 3.5 or Teraflex 3". They both get rave reviews about quality and ride. Have any of you tested both? Or been around both enough to know if one is better at X than the other? The lifts will be complete when I finish them, with arms, etc. I believe the lift heights are similar too. Both net over 4". My goal will be 37's in the end, but will be on 35's until then.

Why are the Tera coils so much more expensive? Marcus @ RCO can get me an outstanding deal on the RK coils and parts. So right now I'm really swaying toward RK.

Also, I will be using Fox Shocks if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys.

2014 Anvil 2 door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Rock God

I am pretty familiar with both and would say they are both great kits. I personally run a RK lift and like it better because of the solid arms and Krawler joints on them. A couple of people in our AZ group have Teraflex lifts and none have had issues with them. Basically I would go with whichever you can get for cheaper for the same setup (springs, arms, brackets, etc.).

Shocks play a big part in the ride quality, and both the kits should perform the same in quality and capability.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #3 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

it's pretty much going to be potatoe potato.. i have the rock krawler 3.5 lift and i love the hell out of it. rock krawler has awesome products and awesome customer service. that being said, my buddy has the tf 3" and he loves it! he swears by tf and when i was looking for lifts he tried to talk me into getting the tf, but i just wanted something different. both are great companies and you will be happy with wich ever one you get. on the added side, rock krawler does offer aluminum in their pro series and tf doesn't. if that's how you want to look at it. lol. good luck on your choice.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM
JKowners Vendor

If you have any questions for us, please let us know. Teraflex is a top notch company and has been around since the dawn of time. There are suttle differences in our products and how we do our stuff as compared to theirs. Good Luck with continued build.

RK
post #5 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Rock God

I'm running a RK 2.5" lift with 37's. Took it to URE Saturday. Handled great. I do have to trim the rear pinch weld in the rear wheel well. But I was planning that anyway. Trim it up and paint the wheel black. Lots of room up front.
I still have to do a thorough inspection underneath since it was the first trip and I did test the RROR skid plates. a little touch-up paint is called for there.

Jeep Owner's Motto: Equipment Failure is an Excuse for Upgrade
post #6 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Having used both products, you will get better customer service with RK other than that they both have pros and cons but nothing real major.
post #7 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

For my money, i like the high clearance arms on the RK sets.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
JKO Addict!

My vote is for RK. Tera makes good stuff, no doubt. But between their customer service, warranty, high clearance arms, and what I personally feel is a superior flex-joint design, my money goes with RK.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #9 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Rock God

I like Teraflex as much as the next person, but I spent my money and went with RK's PRO kit. I'm a detail-oriented kinda guy, so that's what sold me on RK. Swapped from a Full Craption Ultimate to the RK PRO. With the same shock moedel (Bilstein 5100s), the difference was night and day. Felt like a completely different Jeep.

Also, did you know that RK supprts their local "Special Needs Community"? If you call and talk to a guy named Chris (NOT me), you'll know what I mean!

post #10 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Granite Guru

I plan on getting the RK arms in the near future. Does Tereflex offer a lifetime warranty on arms? If I'm not mistaken RK does.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

post #11 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Rock God

I don't know anything about the tf kit but you can't go wrong with Rock Krawler. Abuse proof warranty, Top quality products and the best costumer service around. Every time I was out in my jeep I could not believe the abuse it would take and still drive home perfect. I've broke quite a bit of things on my jeep but nothing on their kit has ever let me down. The first lift kit I had on my jeep didn't last a year (BD) .The arms were bent the bushings were shot. Mistake made Lesson learned and did it right the second time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

post #12 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sounds great fellas. RK it is. I notice a lot of folks running bilsteins with the RK lifts. Is that the preferred shock for their springs? I was gonna go with Fox racing shocks but if the bilsteins yield a better ride I will change my mind.

2014 Anvil 2 door
post #13 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm running the 3.5" RK kit...i've run the mid arm pro alum and now running the Pro Alum Long arm kit.. I've installed the TF kit in friends rigs...good lift..Like everyone says..> Both are really great products and companies..

RK in my opinion is built wicked tough...lifetime warranty...and Chris / Jeremy on customer service are top notch. They'll work with you in the future when you want to add or go in a different direction. One on one.. Great guys!

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #14 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Rock God

I would take a look at RK RRD shocks, they were not out when I bought my kit other wise I would have bought them instead. Side by side the RRD shock just looks like a better shock. (Not my picture)

post #15 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You already know my vote is with Rock Krawler, but I'll throw in my two cents too!

Rock Krawler is a stand up company that is run by a group of guys and gals who genuinely care about their customers before and after the sale. If you need something they will drop everything that they are doing and jump at the chance to help. The good news is there are many issues so they are always available to help and have plenty of time to design the next best thing! Ha ha!

I recently put the 2.5" Max Travel on my JK with 5100s from Bilstein. I did this upon their recommendation and so that I could directly compare the RRDs after a couple of months.

We ordered a lift for a local customer with the RRD 2.0s and I have to say those shocks are amazing. They are lighter than the Bilsteins but are waaaay beefier than the 5100 in every way. I can't wait to pick a set up for my Jeep.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but if it is within your means or a small stretch I would spring for the RRDs.

Marcus

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

post #16 of 45 Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I've run a Tera lift and now have a RK suspension on my current rig. Now, I'm solid in the RK camp and always push the products that they have because of off the scale product quality and customer service. Having said that, the two were best 2 lifts that I have ever had on a Jeep. So imo, you can't go wrong. You are gonna be fine with what ever one you go with. But for the record I vote RK

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 06-13-2011 at 11:50 PM.
post #17 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1EHARD View Post
Sounds great fellas. RK it is. I notice a lot of folks running bilsteins with the RK lifts. Is that the preferred shock for their springs? I was gonna go with Fox racing shocks but if the bilsteins yield a better ride I will change my mind.
I wanted the RK RRD shock actually, but they didn't have the QC issue worked out then. They do now though, and it is a pretty BA looking and performing shock!

post #18 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1EHARD View Post
As for your question on shocks, the Bilsteins are nice but don't come close to the quality and ride for the Fox Shocks. BUT since we are also talking about a RK lift, I would really look at the RRD's. There were designed by RK to work with their lifts and the work well!!

Now, the it is a toss up betten the Fox shocks and the RRD's... Fox's compaired to the Bilstiens... Fox hands down.

Hope that helps!
-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #19 of 45 Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Rock God

After comparing lift features and looking at opinions on here and elsewhere, I went with the RK 3.5" X factor midarm!!! I also decided to get FOX remote reservoir shocks. I can't comment on the setup from personal experience yet though, it's on order!

On my RE lifted ZJ years ago, I had Bilstein 5100's and was very happy!
On my ORD lifted K5 I just sold, I had Bilstein 5150's and was very happy!

For this build, I opted for FOX shocks because I have heard good things about them, and I've always wanted to run some BLING shocks!!! (Also, I have a FOX rear shock on my Trek Liquid 20 and like it, LOL!!!)

Last edited by VADERJKU; 06-14-2011 at 10:08 PM.
post #20 of 45 Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I dont have any experience with teraflex, but i have a RK 3.5 long arm on my jeep and i have zero complaints. If i had to do it all over again, i would go with the same company and the same lift. Rock Krawlers customer service is one step above top notch.

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 06-15-2011 at 09:51 AM.
post #21 of 45 Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Just to throw it out there. RK is a great company, and I have several of their products, but I am running the TF 2.5" coil lift with the RK RRD shocks and it is the PERFECT combination in my opinion. TF has helped me out multiple times and has excelent customer service and their parts are built second to none. You really cant go wrong with either, and maybe it is only my opinion, but TF gets the win (if only by a small margin).

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #22 of 45 Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
JKowners Vendor

Just a few new updates regarding our 3.5" systems that have not officially been released yet;

1) All kits are now shipping with progressive rate front coils just like our 2.5" Max. Travel Front Coils

2) All of our lower control arm joints are now service free for 3 to 5 years. They are a sealed joint with a grease groove down the center. There is only one threaded retainer with a set screw locking it in place. We feel these are the next generation of consumer joints and have been testing them for quite some time now. We have yet to rebuild one after several years of use.

Formal press announcements will be forth coming. While other companies are cost reducing their JK kits, we are working on the details to make ours better!

Rock Krawler
post #23 of 45 Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Just a few new updates regarding our 3.5" systems that have not officially been released yet;

1) All kits are now shipping with progressive rate front coils just like our 2.5" Max. Travel Front Coils

2) All of our lower control arm joints are now service free for 3 to 5 years. They are a sealed joint with a grease groove down the center. There is only one threaded retainer with a set screw locking it in place. We feel these are the next generation of consumer joints and have been testing them for quite some time now. We have yet to rebuild one after several years of use.

Formal press announcements will be forth coming. While other companies are cost reducing their JK kits, we are working on the details to make ours better!

Rock Krawler
That's quite an achievement considering the current joints are already super-low maintenance! Will they still have the narrow body/high misalignment design they've got now?

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #24 of 45 Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Rock God

RK,

I just noticed that on my new kit when I opened it up the other day. I was going to ask Marcus about that but you just cleared it all up!

Oh, and I can't wait to try out the RRD shocks.

V8 YJ/TJ hybrid on tons
post #25 of 45 Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
JKowners Vendor

Yes, they will still have the same exact functionality and design premis. There is no way would be compromise on that. Cost cutting is not our game. Triing to constantly make improvements is where we are at. We will try to post up some pics of it here soon. The housing is a little wider, but that is because one threaded retainer is forged right in the housing this time..

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode