Haws Fairlead - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Haws Fairlead

Dose anyone run an aluminum haws fairlead with a cable? I know I've seen some, What are you using to stop the hook/cotter pin from being smashed into the front of the fairlead? Where did you get it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 AM
TrailDuty.com

A steel cable can mess up an aluminum fairlead pretty quickly. If you want to run an hawse with steel cable then a steel one would be a better choice.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

phil beat me to it
you use an aluminum hawse with synth line because its soft and wont snag the rope
steel>aluminum so steel line would kill an alum hawse pretty fast.

steel hawse fairleads with steel line work, but are harder on the cable than rollers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
A steel cable can mess up an aluminum fairlead pretty quickly. If you want to run an hawse with steel cable then a steel one would be a better choice.
Yea I'm afraid your right. Do you know the difference in weight between rope & cable? Now I'm trying to sell myself on going to rope because my cable is like new and I hate to waist $...

post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A LOT!
most synth rope will actually float

once you use syth line, having to use steel again sucks!

my almost new steel line is wrapped around the inside of a 5 gallon bucket out in the shop

Quote:
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
A LOT!
most synth rope will actually float

once you use syth line, having to use steel again sucks!

my almost new steel line is wrapped around the inside of a 5 gallon bucket out in the shop
Because I haven't research rope what would you recommend? Do they come in 150'? I have a Powerplant if it makes any difference.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Rock God

I bought an aluminum hawse fairlead with a steel insert at Moab 4x4 Outpost at EJS this spring. I don't use the winch much but it looks alot better on the Teraflex bumper than a roller. I'll switch to synthetic when the wire rope gets a bit more use.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCruise View Post
Because I haven't research rope what would you recommend? Do they come in 150'?
Yes, but remember that the outer wraps have less pulling power than the inner wraps, so the more line you have on the winch the less pulling power you will have. If you need to do long pulls then you are usually better off getting a 80-100' line on the winch and a separate extension.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

I have 100' of 5/16th Amsteel blue on mine and with the hook it weighed in just under 5lbs. I would say the old cable that came off was 20lbs give or take.

Go Play Outside.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Phil sells masterpull and viking - both are great
http://www.trailduty.com/index.php?c...277353c41242a7

jason and alec have dominion
http://www.eadoffroad.com/winching/w...ope-assemblies

or get it custom in whatever length/options you want from customsplice.com

you won't regret any of them.
only down sides to rope are abrasion resistance - if you plan on dragging it over a lot of rocks, get a nylon wrap, carry a rubber buffer pad to put over the rock (truck mud flaps work well) or stick to steel
and synth doesnt like a lot of UV exposure, so a winch cover or a nylon wrap for the last 15' is a good idea.

I've had a $99 amsteel I got off of ebay on mine for about 3 years now, getting to be about time to replace it.
the great thing about rope - if you DO manage to break it, you can tie it in the field.
I broke mine at the hook - winch remote button went bad and stuck "on" - tied the hook back on with an anchor knot and it's been fine for a year and quite a few pulls.
Obviously not optimal, but it works.

Also synth doesnt recoil when it breaks like steel does- it just drops

Quote:
post #11 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

THANKS for all the info! I'll be setting everything up hopefully by the end of the week, new BFH, rigid lights, & rope W/hook.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode