Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel Install Results and a few questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel Install Results and a few questions

Finally was able to dump the puck lift with factory springs this weekend.

When I bought my rig I had purchased it already with the puck lift on it, so I have no idea whose pucks they were, but I can say the factory springs are garbage with the amount of weight I had on.

In the front I gained about 2" inches over the 2.5" puck/factory spring set up. That tells you had bad those factory springs sagged.
In the rear I gained about 1.5".

Initial road driving - AMAZING. It came out of the install about as straight as an arrow and street conditions that would have had me bounced from lane to lane were smooth as can be. You can really tell the quality of these springs combined with the Bilsteins as I drove it through a rougher gravel lot with lots of little dips and humps. Very smooth and great ride! Next weekend I will get to trail test it and I can not wait!

Here are a few photos of before and after. It's not parked on level ground, but you can clearly see the difference.

Before:

After:

Install was very straight forward for even a person like me who had never done this kind of stuff before. I had to do the brake line extensions prior to the springs, and I also had to drop the cross member some in order to fit the front springs in.

After the final alignment today I went to go back in and make sure all the torques were correct and lockdown jam nuts one final time. I have noticed I may have messed the front lower control arm install up some by not having the krawler joints orientated correctly. I did the sizing exactly to Rock Krawler's instructions. They do not move freely like the rears seem to with a little push.

Now my questions:
1.If I take the lower control arms off, will I be able to re-orientate these joints and if I have to size them a hair different than Rock Krawler's instructions will that screw me up in some other area?

2. The rig seems to be about 1/2" lower on the passenger side. Is this normal and if not, what can I do to correct this?

Most helpful tools were an airgun and air ratchet, reading good advice on forums, and a patient all knowing buddy to help out.

08 Flame Red JK Unlimited, 35" Cooper Discover STT, Mamba M1 Rims, Mopar off road front bumper, CSI 9500lb winch, Warn Rock Crawler rear with tire carrier, OHR Soft Top, Hard Top, Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel with Bilstein 5100s, Precision 5.13's and Front and Rear ARB lockers, Riddler Differential Covers, PSC Rocker Knockers, Super Chip.

Last edited by RedX; 06-12-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Wheeler

For the lower control arm, you should be able to just loosen the jam nut and straighten the end out then lock it back up. You are only talking 1/8 of a turn at most so it wont cause any alignment or binding issues.

As for the lower on the passenger side, we find it worse down here as your passenger side is our drivers side - also the same side the fuel tank is on (so we have the extra weight of the driver and the full tank of fuel on the same side).

A few of the spring manufacturers are now making them with a left and right set, slightly longer on your passenger side to compensate for the tank - I would be checking with Rock Crawler to see if thats the case?
post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Hes right about the passenger side being slightly lower due to the gas tank..But, when the lift is so new...you won't get this till the springs settle.. Look at your springs and make sure they are properly seated. I just adjusted mine because I don't have spring retainers...

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
Hes right about the passenger side being slightly lower due to the gas tank..But, when the lift is so new...you won't get this till the springs settle.. Look at your springs and make sure they are properly seated. I just adjusted mine because I don't have spring retainers...
I believe they are seated correctly, but do they need to be orientated with the start of the spring in a certain position?

08 Flame Red JK Unlimited, 35" Cooper Discover STT, Mamba M1 Rims, Mopar off road front bumper, CSI 9500lb winch, Warn Rock Crawler rear with tire carrier, OHR Soft Top, Hard Top, Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel with Bilstein 5100s, Precision 5.13's and Front and Rear ARB lockers, Riddler Differential Covers, PSC Rocker Knockers, Super Chip.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
JKO Addict!

What they said....and make sure you get that joint aligned properly in the CA mount. As I'm sure you noticed those arms are rock-solid, and as they are right now if you articulate full-stuff on the drivers side and full-droop passenger side, you will run out of joint misalignment and stress the mounts on both the axle and frame ends. Guess which is tougher, an RK arm or the factory mounts?

Looks good, you made the right suspension choice. RK is impossible to beat.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM
JKowners Vendor

Sir

You may see a little change with fuel load, but it should not be huge. Like these good folks said, check to make sure the coils are seated properly. Check to make sure the axle is centered properly side to side up front, then check to make sure the caster is correct up front and the rear pinion looks good. Then you have verified everything is as square and proper as it can be. In the right rear, play a game with the coil and make sure the winding stops towards the back of the vehicle.

Also, be sure to make sure the joints are in their neutral position at rest. This way, when you go off-road you will find no bind anywhere in the joints and everything will work as it should.

Let us know if you have any questions.

RK
post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for asking this OP. I went and checked mine, not thinking anything was wrong when I did the install. Sure enough, I need to fix the same thing as you to the LCA in the right postion.

I will make sure I do it right when I put the rears on.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input everyone, I will give an update on Saturday once I get these little things changed and test it out at Left Hand Canyon, or some other place close by.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Rock God

when you measured the control arms for setup, did you measure from the center of the joint to the center of the bushing? My lift came in with a minor issue, so once this it gets figured out, it is go time.

07' Unlimited X
PSC Bumpers F/R
8k Warn winch
2.5" RK Max Travel
35" MTR's
5:13 yukons
Sleeved/Gusseted front
Dynomax pre-axle exhaust
post #10 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I measured center eye to eye. Thats what I was told.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #11 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by van7559 View Post
when you measured the control arms for setup, did you measure from the center of the joint to the center of the bushing? My lift came in with a minor issue, so once this it gets figured out, it is go time.
Let's go wheeling once these bad ass control arms are dialed in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
I measured center eye to eye. Thats what I was told.
Exactly how did it, maybe I was a hair off apparently lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode