Thinking about building my own front winch bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thinking about building my own front winch bumper

I've got some free time and a 220v mig welder.

I'm looking at the builder parts people sell for the cleavis tabs though and it seems most of them are just straight metal (weld front and back of the bumper). Does anyone sell one that has a larger tab on the back so it can't pull though the bumper too? I'd like some additional protection to help it not pull though the welds.

Something like the shrockworks tabs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

Make them. We cut the ones out for my bumper using a plasma free hand.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Wheeler

Cool

I just looked at my LOD mid width front bumper and the cleavis(D-ring) tabs are only butt welded to the front of the bumper. I haven't heard of anybody complaining that they pulled the cleavis tab off the front of the bumper or even bent it. I was certainly surprised to see nothing (cleavis welds) on the backside of the bumper...
Unitil I start hearing it's a problem I'll leave it alone, other wise I'll grind them off, cut a slot and put them in from the backside, them weld em up so they can't pull through or pull off. Time will tell I guess.

Jon aka 69mach1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I don't have a plasma cutter or bandsaw yet unfortunately. I'm planning on doing the flat steel cutting with an angle grinder.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1 View Post
I just looked at my LOD mid width front bumper and the cleavis(D-ring) tabs are only butt welded to the front of the bumper. I haven't heard of anybody complaining that they pulled the cleavis tab off the front of the bumper or even bent it. I was certainly surprised to see nothing (cleavis welds) on the backside of the bumper...
Unitil I start hearing it's a problem I'll leave it alone, other wise I'll grind them off, cut a slot and put them in from the backside, them weld em up so they can't pull through or pull off. Time will tell I guess.

Jon aka 69mach1
Wow that is depressing. I know several people who will not hook up to a clevis tab that is just butt welded to the bumper.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Haven't seen anyone complain about any bumpers tabs pulling out. We aren't running armored humvees, they are 4000-5500 pound Jeeps. Should be fine.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used cut tabs like the ones in your picture. You should be able to get these cut for you fairly cheap. I would also look at getting someone to cut out the flat metal before using a grinder. Someone good with a torch could cut them out for you for in a lot less time and just a little money. I don't know how your fab skills are but making a cardboard template for the parts would give a good outline for easy cutting.

I built my first one that was way to long in the front. I didn't know how much it was going to cause problems on approach angles. I also made a plate under it that bolted on. Since I didn't have a rubi with the disco motor I really didn't need it. I took it off later because of added weight with no real protection.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 06-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Where abouts are you located. I have a plasma and would be willing to help ya cut some steel.
The mounts you have pictured should be more then long enough to weld front and rear, unless you make it like a half inch thick up front.
You can kinda see how I did mine.

Mine are just welded right to the front, I did grind down the strap that goes over the clevis to give me a good bevel to weld in so I got good penetration all the way to the back. When I first put them on I was a little concerned about them ripping off but after using them to snatch black some tree trunks out of the ground I'm not to worried any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode