Torque - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Age: 49
Posts: 123
Feedback: 0 reviews
Torque

Curious as to how "tight" everyone is setting their after-market adjustable Control Arms with Johnny Joints as well as the front adjustable Track Bar?

Currie recommends setting their Track Bar at 85-ft. lbs. Factory specs call for around 60 (clearly not enough).

Control Arm factory specs call for 130-ft.lbs. At that high torque, concern over cracking the internal ball of the Johnny Joint has been brought up.

Plan on installing my Poly hardware kit today...

Thoughts and thanks.
Brady is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!
 
thaduke2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate NY (I'm back, baby! :))
Age: 35
Posts: 2,145
Feedback: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

With my RK arms, I set mine to factory spec. Contact the manufacturer if you're unsure, but factory spec should be good. Just make sure your torque wrench goes up that high- many don't go above 100 ft-lbs.! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
thaduke2003 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Rock God
 
jeepersheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South jersey
Age: 34
Posts: 1,121
Feedback: 0 reviews

I don't know where you are getting 60 for the track bar but the specs I have say 125 for front and rear track bars. That what I did for my RK track bar with no problems.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers


Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
jeepersheart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Rock God
 
spedly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Delaware
Posts: 913
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews

125ft-lbs on the track bar and the control arms per Poly's instructions
spedly is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Age: 49
Posts: 123
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
I don't know where you are getting 60 for the track bar but the specs I have say 125 for front and rear track bars. That what I did for my RK track bar with no problems.
Track Bar specs from my old TJ manual and I agree...way too low. Pretty sure I set my front to 125 as well and plan to do at last 120 with the new hardware kit.

Bought a Snap-On torque wrench last week that goes to 250-ft.lbs. It was pricey but I was sick of busting the cheap (not-so-cheap) wrenches and not at all confident in their accuracy.
Brady is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: lincolnton, NC
Age: 24
Posts: 161
Feedback: 0 reviews

i usually just turn it till i fart.

08 yellow jeep jk with river city offroad and home brew special sauce.
mellowyellow is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Wheeler
 
will16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 57
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowyellow View Post
i usually just turn it till i fart.
LMFAO!
will16 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benton, AR
Age: 40
Posts: 437
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Track Bar specs from my old TJ manual and I agree...way too low. Pretty sure I set my front to 125 as well and plan to do at last 120 with the new hardware kit.

Bought a Snap-On torque wrench last week that goes to 250-ft.lbs. It was pricey but I was sick of busting the cheap (not-so-cheap) wrenches and not at all confident in their accuracy.
The snap-on will be just as inaccurate if you don't get it recalibrated every few months unless it is the beam type.

I have a craftsman 250-ft/lb I use and a smaller craftsman 150-ft/lb. If I break one I take it to Sears and get a replacement.

What sucks is the rear upper control arm bolts I cant get a damn torque wrench on. Just not enough space.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
jgkjeep is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Age: 49
Posts: 123
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowyellow View Post
i usually just turn it till i fart.
HA HA HA!

Yeah...just go done installing the Poly hardware, front and back. Brutally hot here in central Virginia. Felt like I was gonna pass out!

Hey jgkjeep - The Craftsman was one of the wrenches I was referring to. Cost me $125...used it about a dozen times...treated it with love...freakin' thing sucked. Tried to take it back to Sears and they wouldn't touch it. Sent it out (through Sears) to get recalibrated and they sent it back to me untouched. I was pissed, to say the least. At least with Snap-On I can give it to a local Snap-On Rep and know it'll get recalibrated correctly.
Brady is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benton, AR
Age: 40
Posts: 437
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
HA HA HA!

Yeah...just go done installing the Poly hardware, front and back. Brutally hot here in central Virginia. Felt like I was gonna pass out!

Hey jgkjeep - The Craftsman was one of the wrenches I was referring to. Cost me $125...used it about a dozen times...treated it with love...freakin' thing sucked. Tried to take it back to Sears and they wouldn't touch it. Sent it out (through Sears) to get recalibrated and they sent it back to me untouched. I was pissed, to say the least. At least with Snap-On I can give it to a local Snap-On Rep and know it'll get recalibrated correctly.
Well that sucks, which snap-on did you get? The prices are actually pretty reasonalbe scanning the snap-on site.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
jgkjeep is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Age: 49
Posts: 123
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkjeep View Post
Well that sucks, which snap-on did you get? The prices are actually pretty reasonalbe scanning the snap-on site.
The click-type 50-250-ft.lb. fixed ratchet. It's really nice and well built. Cost me about $300.
Brady is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome