Bilstein or RK RRD racing shocks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bilstein or RK RRD racing shocks

Need to get 4 new shocks for my new RK 3.5 sping lift

If you can compare the 2 let me know how they are

RK 3.5 LIFT/RRD SHOCKS/FRONT CONTROL ARMS/DRAG LINK/TRACK BAR/REAR BRAKE HOSES/COOPER 295-75-17 STT JEEPERMAN FRONT BUMPER SUPERWINCH EPI9 JKS LOWER TRACK BAR BRACES/DISCONNECTS CRAGAR WHEELS SOFT 8 SYNERGY UPPER TRACK BAR BRACES RR SKID PLATES BENCHMARK DESIGNS EVAP SKID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
Need to get 4 new shocks for my new RK 3.5 sping lift

If you can compare the 2 let me know how they are
I'm running bilstein's now and have rrd's coming in by the end of the week. I really like the way the bilstein's ride but here's a look at them after 2+ years of living in the rust belt(and you live like 40 min from me) also 3 outta 4 are leaking
From Rk
"These shocks are unique in many ways and have several benefits that other shocks do not have. The first and most important feature is the body is all aluminum! This makes the RRD Racing Shocks have better cooling properties and less fade than the steel counter parts. Since the bodies are aluminum they will not rust. The bodies are simple to clean up and keep looking good for years to come."
Other then that they just look beefier
I'll let you know more hands on once I have more hands on experience
Attached Images

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's

Last edited by jeepnick; 06-12-2011 at 04:35 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
I'm running bilstein's now and have rrd's coming in by the end of the week. I really like the way the bilstein's ride but here's a look at them after 2+ years of living in the rust belt(and you live like 40 min from me) also 3 outta for are leaking
From Rk
"These shocks are unique in many ways and have several benefits that other shocks do not have. The first and most important feature is the body is all aluminum! This makes the RRD Racing Shocks have better cooling properties and less fade than the steel counter parts. Since the bodies are aluminum they will not rust. The bodies are simple to clean up and keep looking good for years to come."
Other then that they just look beefier
I'll let you know more hands on once I have more hands on experience
Ya rusting is a problem in are location for sure.
Don't the bilsteins have a warranty for leaking?

Did you order the regular valving on the RRD shocks

RK 3.5 LIFT/RRD SHOCKS/FRONT CONTROL ARMS/DRAG LINK/TRACK BAR/REAR BRAKE HOSES/COOPER 295-75-17 STT JEEPERMAN FRONT BUMPER SUPERWINCH EPI9 JKS LOWER TRACK BAR BRACES/DISCONNECTS CRAGAR WHEELS SOFT 8 SYNERGY UPPER TRACK BAR BRACES RR SKID PLATES BENCHMARK DESIGNS EVAP SKID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'll look Into a warranty If they do, I removed the boots, might void it if they do
I asked jeremy if I should order different valving cause my rig is heavy, he said to try Rk's stock valving it's slightly stiffer then bilstiens and should work fine
I'll shoot you a pm when we are going to install them if you wanna come take a look

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #5 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Rock God

The RRd is definitely a stiffer shock. I prefer the RRD to the bilstein but have only one installed at the moment. I have to send one of the rears back for a rebuild. Could not use them on the front because of the uptravel on my rig. The shock body was coming into contact with the frame.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I'll look Into a warranty If they do, I removed the boots, might void it if they do
I asked jeremy if I should order different valving cause my rig is heavy, he said to try Rk's stock valving it's slightly stiffer then bilstiens and should work fine
I'll shoot you a pm when we are going to install them if you wanna come take a look
What length RRD's did you get?
post #7 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Ya let me know. Might be interested in seeing them if I don't order before that

post #8 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
The RRd is definitely a stiffer shock. I prefer the RRD to the bilstein but have only one installed at the moment. I have to send one of the rears back for a rebuild. Could not use them on the front because of the uptravel on my rig. The shock body was coming into contact with the frame.
Why does it need a rebuild? How long have you had them

Can you explain the problem with the front better if you can

post #9 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Had RK and they were too stiff. I have these now
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53529

Poly has them on sale right now and this is a smoking deal!

[
post #10 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 11:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Timmay View Post
Had RK and they were too stiff. I have these now
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53529

Poly has them on sale right now and this is a smoking deal!
You should have asked RK to re-valve for you.
Just have to pay shipping.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had other issues with mine besides the valving.

[
post #12 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Timmay View Post
I had other issues with mine besides the valving.
What other issues?

Not saying you didn't make the right decision.
I am just curious.

Info:

|
post #13 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Bar pins in the rear. I probably would have sent them back to RK for re-valve and repair, but I was on a tight time table.

[
post #14 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcally View Post
What length RRD's did you get?
I got the 12 inches of travel
19 compressed and 31 extended

post #15 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
Why does it need a rebuild? How long have you had them

Can you explain the problem with the front better if you can
I have a 3.5" lift that netted 4.5" and I have 1.5" bumpstops. I have a tremendous amount of uptravel which allows the tire to travel so far that the shock rubs the frame when flexed out. The rrd was very stiff when I had all 4 on my jeep but broke in very nicely. First wheelin trip exposed the problem on my particular jeep but I am the only person that I have ever heard that had that issue. I like uptravel and most people like down travel.

post #16 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 06:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

Between the to and given the lift that you are running, I vote for the RRD's. They were designed by RK to work with their lifts. The Bilstiens were designed to work with many different lifts. Plus, the quality on the RK shocks are second to none! I don't think you would have second thoughts about going with the RRD's.

Let us know if we can help!! Feel free to email, PM, or call us at any time and we can set you up!!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #17 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
I have a 3.5" lift that netted 4.5" and I have 1.5" bumpstops. I have a tremendous amount of uptravel which allows the tire to travel so far that the shock rubs the frame when flexed out. The rrd was very stiff when I had all 4 on my jeep but broke in very nicely. First wheelin trip exposed the problem on my particular jeep but I am the only person that I have ever heard that had that issue. I like uptravel and most people like down travel.
If you had longer bump stops then you would be ok I'm assuming.

Whats the problem with the one you have to send back

post #18 of 18 Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Rock God

I would be fine if I had longer bumpstops and am considering either that or moving the shock outboard so they no longer rub. 1/4 inch outboard should take care if the issue I have.

The rear got tangled on a rock and damaged the body and broke a seal. I tend to do things I shouldn't.

When the rrd first came out they had a problem with the bar pin and bushings. That problem has been fixed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode