Wheel/tire advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Wheel/tire advice

Don't worry I'm not asking what will rub or fit. I'm ready for bigger meat I want 35s and I want 15" wheels, I know I might have issues with the calipers I'm fine with grinding them a tad. My question is how wide of a wheel should I go with? Im looking at the mtr/k tires if that matters. Probably be running steelies, if for no other reason then i would hate to thrash a $150 wheel but a $50 steelie not such a big deal. Any reason, other then strength or weight factors, to go with alloy wheels over steel? And any other issues with running 15s, like I said grinding the caliper isn't a huge deal to me, just wanna make sure I'm not missing something else. I really love the look of 35s on 15s but don't wanna set myself up for problems.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Wheeler

I agree that the taller sidewall on a 35x 15 looks better and performs better on the trail, aired down. One thing that you should consider is the aditional weight as far as power and mpg. A 15'' steel wheel verses a 17" aluminum, will be 15-20 lbs heavier. That's up to 80lbs more of unsprung weight, not to mention the taller tire will weigh more too. An extra 100lbs of unsprung weight is like carrying 400 lbs in the Jeep. Just so you know.

.... I would still do it if it was me though...

2010JKU rubicon, 4'' lift, Currie arms, Synergy ball joints, gussets, and sleeves,Currie high steer and track bar, 40" Procomp MT2 tires, Pro Comp wheels, 5:13 gears, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tom Woods shaft, Warn Powerplant front, Warn VR8000 rear. Masterpull synthetic lines
post #3 of 21 Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

If I was worried about milage I would be drivin a Prius. A little extra weight will be the least of my worries Rollin 35s on 2:73 gearing (I know I know regear I will... eventually). As long as I don't drop below 10 mpg I'm still ahead of the ball, that's what my old truck got running wide open headers it was a beast.

Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Banned

A prius... You killl me man..

Holy SHIT - you're runnin 2.73 gears in that thing???

post #5 of 21 Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Wheeler

yeah, you should regear anyway, just for the sake of power. I don't know how you get it to even start rolling with those gears. Get 5:13 and you'll be set

2010JKU rubicon, 4'' lift, Currie arms, Synergy ball joints, gussets, and sleeves,Currie high steer and track bar, 40" Procomp MT2 tires, Pro Comp wheels, 5:13 gears, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tom Woods shaft, Warn Powerplant front, Warn VR8000 rear. Masterpull synthetic lines
post #6 of 21 Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

No sorry 3.21 that's what I get for posting after working all night and not napping first.

Jersey

Crew
post #7 of 21 Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM
JKO Addict!

I run a pretty sweet setup IMO 35.1350.15 Toyos on aluminum rims..never had a problem and the look/handling is awesome! still running 3:73 i turn the overdrive off for hills or windy road trips but that's about it...If anything my front axle hates me just a little

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #8 of 21 Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm leaning more towed the steel wheels just for the cost savings, i do like the looks of the black rock wheels but they are almost three times the cost.

Jersey

Crew
post #9 of 21 Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I ran that exact setup on my JK for about a year.

I'm not sure where you're shopping steel wheels or what brand you're looking at, but most of them are pretty comparable in price to the Black Rock 909D.

My wheels were Cragar Soft 8s in a 15x8 with 4" of back spacing. I had to run 24 - 25 PSI to get all the tread to smack the concrete. I would stick to an 8" wheel if I did it again, I'm just warning you on the air pressure.

If I was going to run 15s again, especially with MTR/Ks, I'd buy the alloy wheels. They'll be easier to balance most of all, but they will also be lighter which will damage your power less. Besides that, you're getting a 5 on 5 and a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern which makes them easy to sell if you upgrade later.

If you want to look at some pricing I can mount and balance Black Rocks, Cragars, or Unique for free and I ship that setup for free too. I don't like posting solicitations in threads like this, but I can save you, or someone looking, some cash in this case.

Let me know if you want some more pictures or information on my old setup.

Marcus

post #10 of 21 Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Granite Guru

I got the 15'' MB72 wheels from DTD, have the steelie look but without all the weight. I got 35'' MTR K's, and like them alot with the exception of having balancing problems.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #11 of 21 Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox5 View Post
I got the 15'' MB72 wheels from DTD, have the steelie look but without all the weight. I got 35'' MTR K's, and like them alot with the exception of having balancing problems.
Those are another good, cheap option.

Marcus

post #12 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Pm eggwhite I think hes running 15s, he can give you the low down

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #13 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 AM
JKO Addict!

For 12.50 tires 8" is ideal.

Some aftermarket steering won't work with 15s. Other than that and the calipers I'd say you're good!

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #14 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I ran that exact setup on my JK for about a year.

My wheels were Cragar Soft 8s in a 15x8 with 4" of back spacing. I had to run 24 - 25 PSI to get all the tread to smack the concrete. I would stick to an 8" wheel if I did it again, I'm just warning you on the air pressure.

Marcus
What's wrong with running only 25 psi ? I run 28 psi so my tires will wear evenly, and it also softens the ride a bit as well. Am I missing something ?

post #15 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Or... I know a guy that might be sellin' a set of Raceline beadlocks with MT/R Kevlar 35's on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #16 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVacs View Post
What's wrong with running only 25 psi ? I run 28 psi so my tires will wear evenly, and it also softens the ride a bit as well. Am I missing something ?
There isn't anything wrong with it, I still run 24 with my new wheels and tires. However some people don't like the light on the dash and don't want to buy a programmer too.

I was warning him because if you run 32-35 psi you're going to wear out the middle of the tire and then we will have a thread about people's tires wearing funny.

Marcus

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

post #17 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
There isn't anything wrong with it, I still run 24 with my new wheels and tires. However some people don't like the light on the dash and don't want to buy a programmer too.

I was warning him because if you run 32-35 psi you're going to wear out the middle of the tire and then we will have a thread about people's tires wearing funny.

Marcus

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
He could always buy some Intercos then we can have a thread about his tires wearing funny no matter if he runs the right pressure or not!

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #18 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanx for all the input. Marcus I appreciate you saying something, to be honest I have no idea where I would get the wheels and tires from I have just been looking at summit and tire rack for a general idea of what I like. I am just starting to shop but I think I'm gonna need to step it up a bit cause the rubi tires I have are in bad shape. To be honest I'm not a HUGE fan of the steelie look just lookin at them for cost savings. I really like the black rock series 900 viper wheels, or the mb chaos 5. As far as tires I really like the MTR/Ks I have heard a lot of good things about them. Running about 25psi is no big deal for me I haven't had tpms since about the second month I owned the jeep.

Jersey

Crew
post #19 of 21 Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Hey man no problem!

If you're looking at steel wheels you're looking in the right place. Summit's pricing on steel wheels is less than anyone else's pretty much anywhere.

If you decide on those other wheels I can help you out with some good pricing on them.

With MTRs the aluminum wheels will make balancing them less of a hassle. They aren't horrible but they do take someone who is willing to spend some time getting to know you and your tires. Lol

Let me know if I can help you in any way. If I can't save you money Ill find someone who can!

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.

post #20 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkjeep View Post
He could always buy some Intercos then we can have a thread about his tires wearing funny no matter if he runs the right pressure or not!
LOL ! very true ... LOL

post #21 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkjeep View Post
and right below that a thread about how he goes anywhere he wants on the trails

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode