33s with no lift 16x8 or 16x10 - stock Jeep virgin advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

33s with no lift 16x8 or 16x10 - stock Jeep virgin advice

Defloration is ready to begin.

After a couple months rolling on OEM's, my pocket is ready to splurge and conclusion I came to is 16's with 33in tires. Black 2011 JK and still mulling over Matt black or chrome - aluminum.

Lift-wise, no plans except budget spacers (at the moment )

All advice welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Wheeler

I've been running 285/75R16 MTR's on steel wheels for 4 years. These are nearly 33" tall. Recently I've been looking to get some new rubber in a 35" variety and the pickin's are slim. The 16" tires that I have found are all load rating E which is pretty beefy. In my experience they do not flex over rocks and such as well as a D rated tire, even aired down.

When I bought my 16" steel wheels back in '07 there were no 17" steelie's available. I'm wishing I had 17" wheels at this point only because of the tire selection. Unless you have some underlying reason to run 16"s I'd go with the 17".

YMMV.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you could even go the 15x10 route... just watch those calipers!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Granite Guru

I agree that you should stick with 17 inch wheels. You'll be glad you did in the long run. If you're planning to do a lift kit (even just spacers) do it at the same time. Here's the caveat: Plan for what you think you might be driving through and your personality. I know, I know....what does that mean?

I have only had mine for a short time and set it up for the type of driving I saw myself doing. Washes, deserts, hills. However, my personality is one of testosterone and my first real trail was over lots of rocks and damaged one of my nice pretty wheels. If I could go back in time, I'd ditch the pretty wheels for some nice steel bead locks. Hell, I could have gotten recentered H1 wheels for the same cost. I'd also ditch the 33 inch (well, 285/70) tires and go with 35s for more clearance. But even with 33's, on a 17 you'll still have plenty of tire to air down and at least decent clearance.

So be realistic in what you'll be doing....not just humble. Then start planning, purchasing and building. Seriously consider doing the lift and tires/rims at the same time, though. Oh, and not everything requires a big budget. Check out the threads regarding free or low-cost mods like fender modifications and such. LOVE the look of my stock fenders now.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Rock God

Best advice I can give you is stay away from a spacer lift. I ran one for almost 2 years and the damage it did wasn't worth it. Prematurely killed my springs, made the tires wear uneven, and the ride was horrible. If you plan on doing any wheeling do yourself a favor and get a real lift. It doesn't have to break the bank, I'm running a RK 2.5 stock mod and couldn't be happier (for the time being). If your set on bigger tires now then look into cutting your flares you can fit 33s and get a sick look out of it. Ideally everyone would be able to do a nice lift and big tires at the same time, realistically that shit is expensive. So I'm stuck lookin like a roller-skate, running a lift that can easily fit 35s while rolling around on rubicon tires. Take your time don't get caught up in the hype of jumping into big tires, build it right the first time and you will only have to do it once (and save a boat load of money since your not doing things twice).

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #6 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I wholeheartedly disagree
if you killed your springs, it was from extra weight - bumpers and winch
and tire wear would have had to have been from improper toe setting

I ran a spacer lift for a long time and wheeled the crap out of it
I know a lot of people that do
a spacer lift isnt going to be any harder on your springs than no spacers - the spring is still seeing the exact same amount of weight it would be with or without
so stock springs will sag when you add bumpers and winches - spacers or no
only thing that would kill them faster might be if you didnt do bumpstops with the spacers and were compressing the crap out of them

ride should be pretty much the same as stock too - once again, same springs

they DO ride like shit tho when nothing is done about the shocks and the too short stockers are re-used without extensions or anything.

I know of at least one that came from a dealer brand new with just spacers thrown in. nothing for the shocks, sway bar links or brake lines.
it rode pretty rough with the shocks totally topped out all the time.

If you're just looking for a mild lift, mild trail rig - a spacer lift is a great way to start and you can upgrade parts as you go.
More than likely, first thing you'll upgrade will be swapping to a set of 3" front springs after you do a bumper and winch.
but a 2.5" budget boost will give you LOTS of room for 33" or clear 35"s and is a cheap way to get started

just make sure you get wheels with enough backspacing to clear the wider tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to casaintsfan

I ran 15x8 on mine with 35's and no lift, had to do some minor trimming.
Rubbed at full flex but i ran xenon narrow flares to help clear the 35's. Not sure what kind of back spacing your going to be running with 10" wide rims but mine have 3 3/4" back spacing and dont touch the calipers. Just gotta make sure your tire guy knows where to put the wheel weights. 16" wheels shouldn't have any problem. I've since added a 1" body lift, Teraflex 2 1/2" coil kit with shocks and plan on more upgrades when money permits.

Now on to wheel color, black on black looks awsome, I get alot of compliments on my rig being blacked out.

Recent pic, still running 15" wheels & 35's
post #8 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Done! :-)
post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Here's what I got me:

15x10x3.61 Pro Comp 8069's in Matt Black
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain t/a KM2's

Now I need to look at lifts. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode