Which tie rod? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Which tie rod?

Trying to decide between the poly or Currie tie rod, is Currie worth the $75.00 more? I like them both so I'm about to flip a coin because I don't know which one to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Honestly, I'd have no problem buying anything from Poly. I don't see what could possibly be that much better about a Currie tie rod...If it were me I'd save the $75.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #3 of 38 Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1 View Post
Trying to decide between the poly or Currie tie rod, is Currie worth the $75.00 more? I like them both so I'm about to flip a coin because I don't know which one to get.
In all honesty, a lot of people get away with the stock, and both the currie and poly are both stronger so you cant go wrong. I love my poly tie rod, light, stronger ends, and the best feature in my opinion, the ability to adjust while attached to the jeep (this is super helpful if you've ever had to adjust a tierod otherwise...)

2008 Steel Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon
RE 4.5" LA
37" KM2's on 17x8.5 MB72's
Poly Tie Rod, Poly Steering Relo, Poly Draglink
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
Crossed Up Offroad Custom Winch Bumper
sPOD system, Cobra 75
Mopar Transmission Cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
In all honesty, a lot of people get away with the stock, and both the currie and poly are both stronger so you cant go wrong. I love my poly tie rod, light, stronger ends, and the best feature in my opinion, the ability to adjust while attached to the jeep (this is super helpful if you've ever had to adjust a tierod otherwise...)
X2 100%

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 38 Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What size wheels with what backspace are you running?
post #6 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

17" with 4.5 backspaceing.

Last edited by fab1; 06-10-2011 at 03:41 AM.
post #7 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 05:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

not to throw a wrench in your plan but dont forget about rock krawler. Im planning the poly one after a failed alingment from smashing rocks off the threads of the driver side.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #8 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Currie Drag Link. It's strong and holding up but it's rusting really bad. I called and asked them about the rust and was told that they don't have that problem out there. They just said that the rust wont go through the joints / cartridges. If I had to do it again I would go Poly. I plan on going with the poly tie rod soon.
post #9 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I had the rockkrawler one and it is stout but you have to take it off to adjust it and not many alignment shops are willing to do that. So i went with poly. Save the $75.00 and go poly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Granite Guru

I've seen Currie's stuff in person and it's awesome (and huge). Definitely can't go wrong with them. I know you asked about their tierod, but one nice thing about their draglink is you can flip the tierod end over so the same draglink can be mounted under or over the knuckle.

That said, I've got a Poly tierod in a box in our garage waiting to go on our JK. For me it came down to the Poly tierod being less expensive and using off-the-shelf rodends for easy replacement down the line. Both Currie and Poly are adjustable on the vehicle without disconnecting anything. I believe with the Currie tierod you'd have to loose the steering stabilizer mount though.

Jason West -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 JKUR HardRock, Granite Crystal, RE/Synergy 3.5", 37s, the new project
'09 JKUR, RE 3.5", 37" MT/R-Ks, Expedition One bumpers, TNT Customs armor. SOLD.
'95 XJ lifted and locked on 35s.
post #11 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony23 View Post
I have the Currie Drag Link. It's strong and holding up but it's rusting really bad. I called and asked them about the rust and was told that they don't have that problem out there.
I've gotta say that response pisses me off. I've gotten the same response from another well-reputed mfgr who is based in SoCal. And when I brought it up to them (in this case it was a potential safety/failure issue) it was just kind of *shrug*, clean it out and try to seal it off. A lot of these guys made good gear but a little inclement weather/water testing would do them some good. We don't all live in SoCal.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #12 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinOutfitters View Post
using off-the-shelf rodends for easy replacement down the line
The rod ends from Poly are a son of a bitch to obtain from anywhere but Poly. That is the ONLY drawback to their product.

As stated above, the adjuster sleeve is what sets them WAY ahead of ANYTHING else out there. If I had to take my TR off to align after every wheeling trip, I'd go nuts.
post #13 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
The rod ends from Poly are a son of a bitch to obtain from anywhere but Poly. That is the ONLY drawback to their product.

As stated above, the adjuster sleeve is what sets them WAY ahead of ANYTHING else out there. If I had to take my TR off to align after every wheeling trip, I'd go nuts.
With a strong enough tie rod, you shouldn't have to take it off every wheeling trip to adjust it.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #14 of 38 Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

well this is one of the things I hate about where I live, No off road stores No place were you can go see the stuff you want to buy hold it and compare it side by side and then make your personal choice. I understand how the poly adjust wile on the jeep. But how does the currie adjust on the jeep if the rod ends both thread the same way? their site says rod ends thread same way so you only need one spare. so in my mind if you turn the center rod one end going to move in and the other end going to move out

Last edited by fab1; 06-10-2011 at 08:34 PM.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1 View Post
well this is one of the things I hate about where I live, No off road stores No place were you can go see the stuff you want to buy hold it and compare it side by side and then make your personal choice. I understand how the poly adjust wile on the jeep. But how does the currie adjust on the jeep if the rod ends both thread the same way? their site says rod ends thread same way so you only need one spare. so in my mind if you turn the center rod one end going to move in and the other end going to move out
One would have to be reverse thread wouldn't it? I have ordered one so I am sure I will find out in due time haha

I am unsure if the currie is like the PPM and RK tie rods which quite happily bend when given enough impact but spring back into shape but I am sure it will be sufficient and superior to the chrysler tie rod.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd

Last edited by CRDTom; 06-12-2011 at 12:43 AM.
post #16 of 38 Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Wheeler

tie rod

Check out the Off road only tie rod. It moves the tie rod up one inch and it is stout. I have one and I'm really happy with it.
post #17 of 38 Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmp001 View Post
Check out the Off road only tie rod. It moves the tie rod up one inch and it is stout. I have one and I'm really happy with it.
you got a link mate?

I thought it was not possible to flip the JK tie rod on the standard knuckles so I assume they have introduced a tie rod with a few kinks in it to raise it?

post #18 of 38 Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Granite Guru

I have the offroad only too. Works as advertised...
Here is a link that shows how it is installed:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...15&postcount=1

Not planning for failure is planning to fail!
post #19 of 38 Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronner View Post
I have the offroad only too. Works as advertised...
Here is a link that shows how it is installed:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...15&postcount=1
oh dear, there is no way I would drive at speed in a vehicle with that fitted lol.

IMHO if you want to lift your tie rod just get these

post #20 of 38 Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I think I'm going to go with poly.
post #21 of 38 Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
JKO Addict!

good call.....I'm in the process of saving up for my poly tie rod now

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #22 of 38 Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
JKO Addict!

the currie tie rod ends are insanely beefy. I'm sure poly is fine, but the currie ends are ridiculous, and they're flippable and rebuildable.

That being said, it also makes it hang down a little lower.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #23 of 38 Old 06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post

The TREs can be found at any major parts supplier like Napa... Use part # EX2234L when searching.

Not sure how the Currie TRE's are but it seems like finding replacements for those might be an issue. Just guessing though...

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #24 of 38 Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM
JKowners Vendor

The RK unit will not rust since it is made from 7075 Aluminum. The down fall is that you do have to drop one end to adjust it, but once it is set, it should never have to be touched again. It will flex and bend right back to its original shape. It is obviously very light and very strong. It uses the OEM TRE from the pitman arm connection on your JK so carriing a trail spare will service more than one location and parts are easy to come by. They have one inch shanks which is just about as beefy as you can get! Either way, good luck with your build. Just some food for thought.

RK
post #25 of 38 Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
The TREs can be found at any major parts supplier like Napa... Use part # EX2234L when searching..
Not been my experience. Only place that seems to have these is you and some guy up north that sells on PBB, but he never seems to have them anyways. Big thread on PBB how these are not easily found.

So.... my suggestion still stands, the Poly rod is great, just have a spare end in your tool box. As RK stated.... theirs uses the facory end so it is easy to find spares and is used all over the place. I have the Poly DL, so all my ends are the same as well, so that isn't an issue for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode