Steering Stabilizer mounting solution for a stock height JK that wheels!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Steering Stabilizer mounting solution for a stock height JK that wheels!?

Hey all, I smacked my stock steering stabilizer mount on the tie rod end and bent it up pretty good which in turn broke my stabilizer rod off the mount.

So I ordered up the redesigned stabilizer and mounting bracket from Jeep. I get this thing on and the damn thing hangs down below the tie rod like 3 INCHES!!!

No way this thing will last one wheeling trip.

SOLUTION: I called up Poly to order their bracket http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-p-18077.html

Well they are out of stock for a while and he wasn't sure it would work with a stock height JK due to clearance issues?

Any suggestions? I am going on a trip in a week and need to get this buttoned up since there is a lot of driving. I rolled without the stabilizer for a week and it is not bad but it takes out a lot of steering wheel shimmy so I want it on there.

-Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Offroad capable utility & camping trailers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Additionally most relocation kits require extended bump stops.

I really don't even want to relocate it, I just want a tie rod mount that don't hang down 3".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Just pick up the basic one from Poly or Jeepswag. (basically the same thing)

Woods (Jeepswag)
http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_stee...kit/index.html

Poly:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-18361.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Quote:
Note: *Minimum of 2" tall bump stop spacer is required for PPM-8007

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Just pick up the basic one from Poly or Jeepswag. (basically the same thing)

Woods (Jeepswag)
http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_stee...kit/index.html

Poly:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-18361.html
From Poly's instructions:
Quote:
A minimum of 2” tall bumper stop spacers are required to prevent the steering stabilizer relocation bracket from contacting the frame when the suspension is at full bump. Most lift kits include and require a bump stop spacer this tall.
I emailed Jeepswag to see if his has the same issue.

But as I said I really don't want to relocate it, just want a better mount for the tie-rod side. I still have a powertrain warranty (3 years, 50K miles) so the mods I do keep that in mind. Probably wouldn't be an issue, but I don't want them give them any more reason to give me a problem.

Otherwise I would probably get the JKS weld on and reinforce the trackbar mount at the same time.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann2380 View Post
From Poly's instructions:

I emailed Jeepswag to see if his has the same issue.

But as I said I really don't want to relocate it, just want a better mount for the tie-rod side. I still have a powertrain warranty (3 years, 50K miles) so the mods I due keep that in mind. Probably wouldn't be an issue, but I don't want them give them any more reason to give me a problem.
Anytime you move the mount that means you are relocating it. You need a relocation bracket that moves the mount. I think you are confusing yourself within terminology. Also a steering stabilizer relocation will not affect your powertrain warranty whatsoever.

You keep saying you want to "move the mount".

"move the mount" = "relocation".

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Anytime you move the mount that means you are relocating it. You need a relocation bracket that moves the mount. I think you are confusing yourself within terminology. Also a steering stabilizer relocation will not affect your powertrain warranty whatsoever.

You keep saying you want to "move the mount".

"move the mount" = "relocation".
Nope said "just want a better mount for the tie-rod side". Something like the Poly

The stud for the tie rod side sticks out the back side so a sleeker mount like the poly would be much better than the redesigned factory one that has the stud out the back but still hangs down 3".

Additionally I know "technically" a relocation kit won't affect my powertrain warranty, I said I don't want to give them a reason to be an ass. I wheel my jeep so the more I keep the underside stock, the less chance they will find some made up reason to deny a locker or tcase claim. See what I'm sayin?

post #8 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
JKO Addict!

What good would trying to move half of the steering stabilizer do you? Hardly anything worth even considering. If you are worried about the relocation find the easiest one that bolts on and unbolt it/put it back to stock before it goes to the dealer. Can't take more than a couple of minutes.

The back/axle mount of the SS is the problematic part. Once you move that you can simply rotate the stock tie rod clamp around the tie rod by loosening the four nuts.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You need to look at the new mount that Jeep has. It is not two u-bolts anymore, it is this collar thing. Even if I bought the relocation kit like Jeepswag or JKS I would need a new mount for the tie-rod side because the new Jeep one will not work rotated up like those kits require I'm pretty sure.

I am not trying to move half of the steering stabilizer. It can still have the stud point towards the rear like stock, just with a sleeker mount that will not hang down below the tie rod is all. I am not looking to rotate it up like you do with the relocation kits.

You really need to see a picture of the new tie rod mount that jeep has. I'll take a pic and post it.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Missed that note on the first Poly kit. (I have the Jeepswag one myself.) What about this one?

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-16692.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode