Bar pin eliminators - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003
Bar pin eliminators

Looking at the JKS set, as I'm trying to reduce deflection in the suspension (a fool's errand, I know, but still) to help on-road handling.

Has anyone done these? Any REAL effect? Benefits? Or just another red herring? Thanks! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
TrailDuty.com

I ran BPE's with Fox Emulsion shocks, worked great for mounting the shocks but that's all they did. What do mean by "reduce deflection in the suspension"?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I mean getting rid of any "squish" in the suspension- deflection is where a bushing's softness allows the travel of a component to deflect, go non-linear, or otherwise divert from the intended path of travel.
I'm replacing bushings with stiffer (higher durometer rating) ones, and so forth. The selling point for me on these is that SUPPOSEDLY they eliminate some deflection from the rear shocks.
I know I need SOME give in the bushings to not turn my JK into a rolling buzzbox (I've owned those in the past- race cars on the street=lost fillings and minds ), but I do want to get rid of some of the OEM suspension compromises- Mark W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I mean getting rid of any "squish" in the suspension- deflection is where a bushing's softness allows the travel of a component to deflect, go non-linear, or otherwise divert from the intended path of travel.
Not sure BPE's will make any difference, but some firmer shocks or springs might. Unless your shocks are sliding around on the pins I don't see you gaining much. I know they move a little on the stock pins, but I'd be surprised if this was noticeable.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Firmer shocks/springs is rather what I'm trying to avoid- I'm trying to improve handling without touching them.
I have to ask, Phil- why did you run them on your rig? Mark W.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I have to ask, Phil- why did you run them on your rig? Mark W.
The Fox Emulsion shocks I was running required them.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

I run a set of PP's rear upper shock mounts. Which aren't necessarily advertised as a bar pin eliminator but do the same thing more-or-less. I can't say that I have noticed any difference in the handling or driveabiltiy of the Jeep, good or bad, since installed.

My sole purpose of getting them was to regain a bit more travel out of my shocks and they have done that for me. Nothing to do with handling or eliminating the bar pin.

I couldn't imagine that a bushing and bar pin eliminators would emilinate as much "squish" as what you may be looking for. I may be completey off, but are you maybe wanting less body roll? Can always look into sway bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Not looking to reduce body roll so much as get truer handling- when bushings deflect, the vehicle is doing something which the driver did not intend- it most often DOES show up as body roll, though.

I am an old race driver, and I appreciate good handling, but what I'd rather have every time is CONSISTENT handling- squishy bushings deflecting make this less possible. There's absolutely no reason the JK can't have solid handling, and I'm getting there, bit by bit Mark W.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Wheeler

I installed them after I had to drive home without a shock when I broke a bar pin. Install was very easy and I noticed no difference in my ride, but my suspension isn't very good. These things are really beefy and do add some compression to the bushings. I will be putting them in when I put some new Billstiens in this weekend.

08 Flame Red JK Unlimited, 35" Cooper Discover STT, Mamba M1 Rims, Mopar off road front bumper, CSI 9500lb winch, Warn Rock Crawler rear with tire carrier, OHR Soft Top, Hard Top, Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel with Bilstein 5100s, Precision 5.13's and Front and Rear ARB lockers, Riddler Differential Covers, PSC Rocker Knockers, Super Chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode