YJ Bumper on the JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

YJ Bumper on the JK

I got a smoking deal on a bumper and winch, less than $400; but it was previously mounted on and made for a YJ. So my buddy and I set out last night to get this thing mounted up on the front of the JK. 6 hours, a plasma cutter, grinder, and a welder later.....TADA

Specs are a Smittybilt YJ SRC Stinger Bumper & Smittybilt 8K Winch

On to the pictures

No turning back now

Setting up the plasma table to cut out the frame additions

Cutting them out

Welding the nuts to the bottom of the frame pieces

Frame pieces tacked in to place before BFH to massage the openings

All mounted up and wired

Only thing I didn't show you was the bottom piece of the frame that we had to make. Same thoughts as the top piece, but for only one bolt.

It's held in there with 10 Grade 8 bolts, 8 on the top and 2 on the bottom, so I don't think it's going to go anywhere. I am really happy with the install and I love the new look.

Up next, E-disco flip and skid

2008 Unlimited Rubicon
3" BDS Lift
40" Nitto Mud Grapplers
DIY Beadlocks
Lots of things to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Rock God

Looks great man! Good job

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #3 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love it dude. Oh, it's for a YJ? Fuck it, we'll MAKE it fit. Great work.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

great engineering!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Granite Guru

Looks good and at an awesome price. Can't go wrong there

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Looks great man! Good job
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
I love it dude. Oh, it's for a YJ? Fuck it, we'll MAKE it fit. Great work.
HAHAHA, that was my exact thoughts. I knew it would take some work, but too good of a deal to pass up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
great engineering!
Thanks, it was a little more difficult than I thought, but it was worth it. plus I got to build something in order for it to install on there, and I like doing those kinds of things. Well worth it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandegrift View Post
Looks good and at an awesome price. Can't go wrong there
Yep it was a no brainer for me. My buddy told me about it, I took a few rough measurements and said it'll fit, I'll take it. For the price I couldn't pass it up, plus I got a rear bumper in the mix too that I am going to sell to recoup some of the funds so it should put me right around the $300 in total for the while setup.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon
3" BDS Lift
40" Nitto Mud Grapplers
DIY Beadlocks
Lots of things to come
post #7 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Flip the sway bar and cut that bash bar off. Bfh style

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Slow and Low

QUESTION:
Why did you notch the frame to put those nut plates in? You could have simply drilled holes in the frame to line up with the nuts in the plate, slid the plate inside the frame, and bolted through the frame into the nut plates.
That's how I mounted my BFH.
No disrespect, but I would be a little concerned about the integrity of the frame with the amount of force a winch will put on it, or a front end collision.
Just my thoughts, maybe it will hold up just fine.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
QUESTION:
Why did you notch the frame to put those nut plates in? You could have simply drilled holes in the frame to line up with the nuts in the plate, slid the plate inside the frame, and bolted through the frame into the nut plates.
No disrespect, but I would be a little concerned about the integrity of the frame with the amount of force a winch will put on it, or a front end collision.
x2 seemed a little backwards, those long grade8 bolts aren't the most common to come across. But I don't think notching the frame would be my first thought.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Wheeler

I did this thing but with the SRC front bumper off a YJ to my JK. Ill post my mod pics.

Jeep is gone.

Semper Fi.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

HIJACK

I want to give a buddy my 5 month old TeraFlex bumper off my JK for his YJ, how much work would the JK to YJ swap be?

post #12 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Flip the sway bar and cut that bash bar off. Bfh style
That's the next plan, and then build some kind of skid if necessary to cover the bottom of the disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
QUESTION:
That was my original plan, build a set of nut plates, drill through the frame and attach that way. There were two problems when we went to do that, we had to offset these to the outside of the frame, so when lining up the holes to be drilled there would have been two holes drilled out as normal, but towards the back of the winch plate the holes are a lot close together so where I needed to drill there was going to be one giant hole in the frame and we didn't think that would work. Also we weren't sure how to get those to stay once they were in there, now seeing your picture a plug weld would have done the trick, but honestly neither of us thought about doing that at the time.

So that's where we got the idea, when we decided to recess it back closer to the grill, we notched the frame and welded in the plate. And no disrespect taken, everyone has their own ideas, this is just the one that we came up with. We are by no means master fabricators but I think it will hold up just fine I mean hell, the plates that we cut off from the factory that just about every other bumper that is made for a JK bolts to is just welded onto the front of the frame. Those pieces of metal have as much or more weld surface on them as those plates. If that winch plate or bumper comes off of there then I have other things to worry about b/c I am going to be in much more trouble than something caused by that. I have full confidence in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
x2 seemed a little backwards, those long grade8 bolts aren't the most common to come across. But I don't think notching the frame would be my first thought.
Those grade 8 bolts came right from Home Depot, so not sure how they are hard to come by?? Also, as stated above it wasn't the first idea, but what we came up with as we moved further along with the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo5Hotel View Post
I did this thing but with the SRC front bumper off a YJ to my JK. Ill post my mod pics.
Would love to see pictures of what someone else did. I searched and searched when I came across the deal from my buddy to see if anyone else had done it. I didn't find anything, but the price was too good to pass up so I jumped on it. I am glad I did, I love the new addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCruise View Post
I want to give a buddy my 5 month old TeraFlex bumper off my JK for his YJ, how much work would the JK to YJ swap be?
man ultimate hijack.....but no biggie......I will say it would not be a direct bolt on, there would be some kind of fabrication needed to swap it over. There is enough of a difference in the frame rails that it wouldn't be a direct fit.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon
3" BDS Lift
40" Nitto Mud Grapplers
DIY Beadlocks
Lots of things to come
post #13 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Granite Guru

man ultimate hijack.....but no biggie......I will say it would not be a direct bolt on, there would be some kind of fabrication needed to swap it over. There is enough of a difference in the frame rails that it wouldn't be a direct
fit.[/QUOTE]

Yea I know...

We took some quick measurements today and it will work but like you said there will be some fabing to be done Thanks

post #14 of 15 Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

I got this bumper from my buddy off his 89. Can't beat free.

Jeep is gone.

Semper Fi.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Rock God

Dude with all that equipment why didnt you just make your own bumper

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode