Post your opinion: 44" Pitbull Rocker or 43" TSL or ??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Which tire is better for my rig:
44x19.50-20LT D Pitbull Rocker 22 51.16%
43x14.50-20LT Super Swamper TSL / SX 18 41.86%
Neither, I have a better choice, ________ w/ Bacon 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Post your opinion: 44" Pitbull Rocker or 43" TSL or ???

What do you guys think about my next tire. Dont really care about much input on other BS like gears, horsepower, or speed; JUST STRICTLY TIRES.

Ive been looking for a good set of Michelin Xls which are 43.7" tall, but Im having a very hard time finding a seller with them in stock.

Anyways, now Im considering:

44x19.50-20LT D Pitbull Rocker

OR

43x14.50-20LT Super Swamper TSL / SX

Curious to what peoples opinions are regarding both these tires. IE which is better for overall wheeling, but still be drivable to the trail itself.

My concerns with the Pitbull is that its a bit wide, but vice versa the TSL is too narrow... Thoughts?

Thanks in adavnced,
Scott

My JKO BLACK WIDOW BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big Thanks to Jason at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In process: One TONS, 44" Tires, Comp CUT,
Strertched, Hydro Assist, TF 6" LA,
Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Granite Guru

I'm a swamper guy but I love the rockers too. Irok's are my choice but not available in your sizes only 42's My personal opionion is the rockers will wheel better but those SX's are bullet proof. If I had to pick from those two it's gonna be the SX's but only because of the width of the rockers. If they were identical size it would be the Rockers.
post #3 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

i know that Rocker width kills you but like you said the TSLs are narrow. I personally love my new Rockers. Got to drive them around quite a bit yesterday. MUCH quieter than the previous Mud Grapplers, and I would say they're probably quieter than TSLs too. I know you're mostly concerned for a little streetability and more trail tire but let's face it, a quieter ride to the trail might be a nice change from the MGs.

I don't have any true wheeling feedback on the Rockers yet but I can only imagine they'll do great as the pattern and lug spacing is really nice.

I vote Rockers

edit: those rockers are wayyyyyyyyy to wide IMO. dayyyuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 06-08-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
It never ends...

I've got 43" SS tsi/sx. I like them overall. Positive: super tough sidewalls. Treads grab. Drive well on the highway. Downside: a bit noisy, but tolerable. Being bias ply, they have a flat spot till you drive them a bit. Again, no biggy if you are aware. Mine are still breaking in, they grip rock ok to pretty good. I expect that they will get better with use.

Rank order of best tires I have owned and used on my rigs: TSI/SX>IROKS>BFG>MTR/K

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #5 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Granite Guru

The trails around here (slick rock that is sharp as a knife). I have seen several rigs with Rockers and they have not impressed me. I would go with an Interco SX hands down if I were picking a bias ply tire.

We have some videos up on youtube pitbull rocker vs. sx or something similar comparing the two and you can really tell the difference.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #6 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Rock God

SS Irok's seem to be a popular choice as well...

-WRM
post #7 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Seems like people like both types of tires. I should have added a poll to know for sure!

Anyways, I dont want to go down to 42s, but my options seem very limited. The boggers alos come in the 44x19.5 size as well but looks about $200 more per tire compared to the rockers. Id pick the TSLs no problem if a little wider, but Im just really worried the 14.5 width is simply too skinny for a tire that tall.

Big Thanks to Jason at

Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #8 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

not too late to add a pole...

just go to "Thread Tools" and click on "Add a poll to this thread"

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #9 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
not too late to add a pole...

just go to "Thread Tools" and click on "Add a poll to this thread"
Thanks man. Bump for an added POLL

Big Thanks to Jason at

Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #10 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Granite Guru

Why run 20's? If you are dropping that kinda coin, don't limit yourself on wheel size.

LoD Stinger◊Warn PowerPlant◊RockHard Cage◊AEV Beadlocks◊37" MTR's◊5.38's◊LoD Tire Carrier◊PSC Crusher Flares◊2.5" Teraflex◊1" PA BL
post #11 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Of the 2, I would take the TSLs hands down. The Rockers don't come in realistic widths for playing in the rocks.

I originally wanted the Rockers, but was holding off to see if they were going to offer realistic widths. I'm glad they didn't though, because I have not been impressed with them in the rocks here out west. They seem to have a hard time hooking up, and the guys I saw running them in Moab were getting owned pretty bad.

The TSLs are a tried and true tire in any terrain, and tough as hell. They just bring the suck on the street.
post #12 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Ipe
Rock God

My $0.02... I love the rocker, but at 19.5" wide it is just too wide. I'd got for the SX.

post #13 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bacon. Just make your own tires out of bacon!

Info:

|
post #14 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Have you checked with Stazworks for the Michelin XLs ?
http://www.stazworks.com/tires.htm

If that doesnt pan out, id go with the TSL/SX's
post #15 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Rock God

The rockers work great around here, but 19.5 is to wide. I would have to go with the SX.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

post #16 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Rock God

Scott, think about how often you run into problems because your Jeep is too fat. You definitely don't want to go to a 19.5" tire!

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #17 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Rock God

If it were me, I'd go with the TSL-SX's! But, that is not based off any experience, just based off width. The Pitbulls being so wide end up looking like balloons to me (I've seen them in person in a similar size to the one you are considering). Unless you specifically need the width for floatation purposes (like DEEP mud), I would go with a skinnier tire. I've always loved the looks of the TSL-SX's with the side treads to them and all! BUT, I won't add to the poll as I have ran neither of those tires. IMHO, I like a tire that is narrow for its height- better ground clearance without tons of unsprung weight!
post #18 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Why run 20's? If you are dropping that kinda coin, don't limit yourself on wheel size.
Running smaller wheels and big tires like this is a problem when way aired down and on rocks/boulders: the wheel turned but rubber doesn't.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #19 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Granite Guru

Are you talking about wheel spin or tire wrap? You are running beadlocks right? Plus peeps have been running small wheel with large tire for years. One of the most popular combos I see in big tires is 44's on 15's.

I got what your saying now your talking about steering. Cool.

Last edited by Toothprick; 06-07-2011 at 09:06 PM.
post #20 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

TSL SX. Those things are killer.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #21 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
Scott, think about how often you run into problems because your Jeep is too fat. You definitely don't want to go to a 19.5" tire!
When have I ever ran into that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
No kidding, except I bought my wheels first w/o thinking this through all the way ... Anyways, I already picked up a set of Custom Trailready CHROMOLY Beadlocks originally built for the Assassin buggy by Avalanche Engineering. No turning back now on wheels, but have some choices for tires.

And just so everyone is familar w/ where Im going, Im building some full widths D60 & 70 axles right now. The plan is to do a 2" stretch in the rear as well. Moreover, Im honestly leaning towards the rockers right now depspite what a lot of you are saying. I just think jeeps in general look funny when the tire width doesnt match the height. Too bad they dont make a 44" tire w/ 16-17" width... Also, am I the only one here who thinks the extra tire height, along with a narrower width, will only hinder the jeeps stance on off-camber situations; making it more prone to rollovers and top heavy sliding. This is one more reason Im thinking the TSLs won't be practical. Thoughts?

Big Thanks to Jason at

Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #22 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 AM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK RUBI ON 40s View Post
When have I ever ran into that!

And just so everyone is familar w/ where Im going, Im building some full widths D60 & 70 axles right now. The plan is to do a 2" stretch in the rear as well. Moreover, Im honestly leaning towards the rockers right now depspite what a lot of you are saying. I just think jeeps in general look funny when the tire width doesnt match the height. Too bad they dont make a 44" tire w/ 16-17" width... Also, am I the only one here who thinks the extra tire height, along with a narrower width, will only hinder the jeeps stance on off-camber situations; making it more prone to rollovers and top heavy sliding. This is one more reason Im thinking the TSLs won't be practical. Thoughts?
Take a look at Rex. Stretched 5" running d-60's with 43" tsi/sx on 20's, 4" lift. Very stable climbs well too. Too wide of a tire is a hassle too. It's hard enough to make those 43's turn when aired way down on rocks when crawling at crazy angles....

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 06-08-2011 at 06:53 AM.
post #23 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Slow and Low

I had 46x19.5" Bias Claws on my YJ and they were way too fat for rock crawling!
Plus rumor has it you'll be running full-width 1-Tons.

19.5'' wide tires are great for open trails, jumping cars at county fairs with a redneck flag attached to the Jeep, and mall crawlin'... but they get bound up in tight obstacles and I could never wheel certain trails that had trees in them.

If I were to get 43-44" tires again, I would go with the SX's for sure. I've seen guys abuse these for years and they are tough as hell!
Here are my 19.5's on a full width 14BFF...
post #24 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

I had IROKs on my last rig and they were incredible on the rocks, mud, you name it. Even though they're not your size, I'd still check 'em out. 42 vs 44? At that size what's the diff?
post #25 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I had IROKs on my last rig and they were incredible on the rocks, mud, you name it. Even though they're not your size, I'd still check 'em out. 42 vs 44? At that size what's the diff?
Yeah, Iroks are the shit for sure, they stick like glue. But not quite as tough as the SX. I tore the sidewall on an Irok once and was amazed at how easily it happened...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode