My wrecked 44 rebuild. Advice wanted - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
My wrecked 44 rebuild. Advice wanted

Well, I'm getting a 44 out of a wreck from a friend of mine.
The shop replaced it because of a bent control arm bracket.

It has 1 bad unit bearing and has been disasembled to get the locker switch out of it to go in the replacement. The knuckles, calipers and brakes are gone, but everything else is there.

I have an idea in my head what I want to do, but I want to hear your suggestions and see if there is something I'm overlooking.
I plan on taking my time and build this up over the next couple of months.

Let me hear what you think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Send it to Poly and have them do their re-tube, etc. Done.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Strip it, send it to Poly for the upgrade kit and pinion angle correction. Have them weld all the appropriate tabs and brackets on. You'll end up with a proper brick outhouse of a 44.

EDIT: Looks like Sok66 beat me to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I didn't know Poly did that. Any idea what the price is?

I was planning on using the poly sleeves,gussets and brackets.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Granite Guru

I was thinking of sending mine to Poly to have it retubed last month. I called there and was told they no longer do the extreme retube kit. So I just installed Poly inner sleeves, axle truss, and c gussets.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Rock God

Yeah, of course I'd like you to buy a ProRock44.

The overall feasibility of the project depends on who does the work. Will you be doing all the work or paying others for it? If you're paying for the work, it makes even more sense to look at the options.

I'd look at is as if you got a free locker and axle shafts. Building it isn't a terrible idea but you have to look at what you'll have when it is done.

The first step would be to check it for straightness. Any axle that had taken a hit that would damage the lower control arm bracket that bad is likely to be tweaked. It's also possible that there is damage to the 'C's. By the end of the project you'll need new brackets, probably sleeve and gusset it, potentially some straightening, regear to your ratio and you'll still have a 44 with bad caster angles.

A better bet that won't be too much more is just going to a PR44. You won't be needing sleeves or gussets, you'll be getting new brackets, it has heavy duty 'C's and won't need work to make it straight. You'll also have your caster angles back to stock or better. You'll just need to have your lockers and gears installed and you can do the rest.

You'll spend more money but end up with a much better end product. Who knows, you may even be able to find a buyer for your 30 and 44 housing to make up some of the difference.

*Sales pitch off*
post #7 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

What Dynatrac said ..... buy the pr44 ultimate (1/2" thick tubes) w/the correct caster for 4" lifts. Buy some CrMo axles, Reid knuckles, Synergy ball joints & either the poly or currie steering, poly welded on trackbar bracket and steering stablizer, throw on the Teraflex big brake kit and your done. Take your carrier and gears out of the d44 and install in the pr housing.

Sell the rest.

Ok ... that is what I did, and couldn't be happier with a bullet proof system for 37's

'08 Rubi Unlimited - a few mods. (sold)
post #8 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidt View Post
I was thinking of sending mine to Poly to have it retubed last month. I called there and was told they no longer do the extreme retube kit. So I just installed Poly inner sleeves, axle truss, and c gussets.
Hmmm... the option is still on the site. Just select Complete Shell/Bracket Factory Installation = [YES + 500] and it appears that you're good to go. Maybe Poly forgot to pull the installation option. I donno.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd check it for straightness, if it's good toss some inner c's and sleeves, cut out a pair of bracket tabs and plate them together.

Then I'd just regear it and run it. I don't see the point in dumping thousands of dollars in a jk 44.

I figure:
New bracket- 10 bucks in steel
C gussets and sleeves is under 200 right?
Gears 250
Tack the ujoint caps - free
Locker switch is either 10 or 50 (I can't remember which between the switch and sensor) on 4wd.

Boom done for under 500 bucks. Your unit bearings from your 30 should work as well as your knuckles if you need them. I can't see dropping much more than that, other than maybe some alloys.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #10 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the advise guys!
Now. Here is what I had planned.

1. New bracket
2. inner and outter sleeves and C gussets (homemade outer sleeves and gussets. I just found out that a friend of mine can make them for me)
3. Reid Knuckles (that way I can sell my 30 complete. I have a friend who wants to buy it. Should recover the cost of at least one of the knuckles.
4. 4.88 gears (already have them in the jeep, so I need to match.
5. Swap the unit bearings

I figure even with the Reid Knuckles, After selling off my old one, I'll be into this thing for 600-700 bucks total. Not too bad concidering.
Since I'll be doing the work(with help from friends) I should come out alright.
I'll startup a thread when I get started.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

I was quoted a minimum of 6 hours labor to straighten my bent 30, so as the others said, verify that it is straight before you even begin to think about upgrades. (the fact that they replaced the entire axle for 1 bent ca bracket just sends off some warning bells).

Assuming it is straight, you can re-use the knuckles, brakes and 32sp outer shafts from your 30. You will need new joints though. Don't know about the unit bearings. The bracket will be easy enough to replace, and you already have a handle on the strength upgrades you want.

Have they verified that the locker still works? If not, that is a $1200 part, not including the install, so I would want to know before buying and installing the new switch and wiring. If the locker is bad, consider the 35arb with 35sp shafts instead.

But, with all that said, I agree with Dynatrac. Sell it and go to a PR44.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yup. the locker does work. He already put a new locker switch on it to make sure. (sorry, forgot to mention that)
The axle is not bent. We already checked that.
The big thing for me is that I can build this one up for Half of what the PR44 housing is.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
I was quoted a minimum of 6 hours labor to straighten my bent 30, so as the others said, verify that it is straight before you even begin to think about upgrades. (the fact that they replaced the entire axle for 1 bent ca bracket just sends off some warning bells).
The insurance company said that it had to be returned to "Original Condition" that they could not just weld on a new bracket.
Thet bought a COMPLETE Mopar axle to go back under it! $3K for a simple bracket fix.
Now you know why we pay so much for insurance.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's garbage, send it to me...

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #15 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to casaintsfan

Lol, mount it under your jeep and have your insurance pay for it.
LMAO!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode