Flip drag link w/ 15"s? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Flip drag link w/ 15"s?

Have guys done this, will it fit? Info of what I've got and what I'm lacking??? 2010 Rubi Unlt'd with 35"x 12.5 on 15's w/ 3.75"BS. OME LT w/ HD coils, extra TF spacer 1" in front. I have a pro comp front track bar...that hit my Crane diff cover last weekend (maybe the track bar relocate in steering kit would help that??) I kept the bumpstops from a TF 2.5" BB (probly not enough?) Also have AEV LCA brackets insted of adjustables....(i know, I know, alot of guys don't like them)
So thats what I have, it looks pretty tight on the top side of the knuckle and want to know if anyone has run into trouble trying to install a flip drag kit. My steering isn't the worst but it could be better I'm sure.
I have a few bucks and looking to spend it, looking for opinions and advise....Am I lacking something that you would spend money on rather than a steering kit? I am still pretty new to the jeepin bussiness so help me learn how to blow paychecks and make my wife hate my Jeep! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Rock God

My wife's 4 dr has a Teraflex steering kit and 15" Cragar wheels with no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks planman, you're always are here to help...I love the OME, thanks for recommending it...also took your advise and got the 5.38's...mo-better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Rock God

Planman's awesome and very helpful! Thanks for all your contribution man.

PS I got banned from the other place!

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #5 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Rock God

Thanks guys.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
Planman's awesome and very helpful! Thanks for all your contribution man.

PS I got banned from the other place!
Agreed, planman has given me alot of free knowledge! And I know there are others that owe him aswell! You have also been a giver Pluke....you guys know I used to race a tuner car, those forums were full of holy-er than thou types unwilling to share info....funny I thought thats what the forums were for!

Sweet on getting banned! I was gone a long time ago! haven't posted much here cause I'm all scared now don't wanna start that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
Thanks guys.
Really you're alot of help and thanks...I was just reading your DW write up, I have to help my brother find his on a 90'XJ

Last edited by joshzilla; 06-06-2011 at 10:24 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quick hi-jack:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshzilla View Post
I used to race a tuner car, those forums were full of holy-er than thou types unwilling to share info....funny I thought thats what the forums were for!
You never give away secrets to your competitors when your racing...

Back on topic:

I would say it depends on your backspacing. I have the TeraFlex flipped draglink kit and when I run my factory 17" Moab wheels they rub just enough to grind the inside corner of the wheel at that location. I had to put in a set of spacers to push them out so they would clear. I believe the backspacing on the factory Moab wheel is 6", so 4.75" net backspacing with 1.25" spacers.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg View Post
Quick hi-jack:

You never give away secrets to your competitors when your racing...
You never saw me bogg a launch...no-one would have been in any danger! I had a car with way more horsey's and still lost to better driver's. It was just fun to me, other guys took it way too serious....

Back on topic...I have 3.75 BS to fit the 15's barley around calipers but it still looks tight, If planman has done it then I'm sure I'll be fine... or else I'll just bad mouth him all over this forum

Kidding
post #9 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Rock God

K.

You don't really need a steering correction kit with a 3" lift, and 2.5" extended bumpstops aren't enough for a flip kit.

With the extra 1" coil spacer, it begins to make sense, but you will need at least 3" extended bumpstops--depending on the kit.

The Currie drag link is huge. So, I don't know if it would clear.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by planman; 06-06-2011 at 11:44 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
K.

You don't really need a steering correction kit with a 3" lift, and 2.5" extended bumpstops aren't enough for a flip kit.

With the extra 1" coil spacer, it begins to make sense, but you will need at least 3" extended bumpstops--depending on the kit.

The Currie drag link is huge. So, I don't know if it would clear.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Thanks again, this is what I needed to know...if I would be throwing $ at somthing un-needed then I would probly just be better off putting that money in front LCA's an trying to work on alignment. Like I said my steering isn't BAD, just trying to make things better where ever I can.

From reading your death wobble writeup I really didn't know how much strain is transfered to the track bar, and knowing that guys have issues with the stock bracket, would I benefit from a track bar relocate braket or is that kinda same boat? (not high enough to warrant one?) I would assume that if the height of the track bar was matched more to the lifted height the that energy would be transfered better and this would translate into better steering (responsiveness and less roll or brake dive).
Just asking, maybe I'm on the wrong track with my mode of thinking...
post #11 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshzilla View Post
Thanks again, this is what I needed to know...if I would be throwing $ at somthing un-needed then I would probly just be better off putting that money in front LCA's an trying to work on alignment. Like I said my steering isn't BAD, just trying to make things better where ever I can.

From reading your death wobble writeup I really didn't know how much strain is transfered to the track bar, and knowing that guys have issues with the stock bracket, would I benefit from a track bar relocate braket or is that kinda same boat? (not high enough to warrant one?) I would assume that if the height of the track bar was matched more to the lifted height the that energy would be transfered better and this would translate into better steering (responsiveness and less roll or brake dive).
Just asking, maybe I'm on the wrong track with my mode of thinking...
With your 3" front HD springs and 1" front coil spacers, you are tall enough that steering correction would make a difference, but if you are fine with your steering now, I would prioritize the funds towards other upgrades.

You can gusset the axle side trackbar bracket for hardly any cost.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have been following your advise thus far and I'm very happy with where it has brought my jeep. As you recommended to me a while back I gusseted the inner C's, upper and lower (good thing I did, I noticed they were begining to bend). Also made an outer sleeve from schedule 40 pipe and even added front LCA skids. I have been thinking about building up the stock bracket but thats another portion that got me looking into steering kits, some I have seen raise track bar position. Thanks for the time, hope I'm not a nuisance but you are really helping a guy out alot. I'll build up the bracket and relocate the steering stabilizer while I'm down there.
Now you're off to save the next helpless noob!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode