"Sleeper's" Stock Shafts??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

"Sleeper's" Stock Shafts???

Just got the latest 4wd & Sport Utility today and was reading Phil Howell's writeup on "Sleeper", which is a 3" Synergy long arm, etc. Surprised to see it has stock driveshafts front & rear. But, even more surprising was the pictured rear shaft. It doesn't look like any stock rear shaft I've ever seen. More like a custom shaft with stock rzeppa joints. Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

Ya, I noticed that too. I know they redid the track bar for 2011, so maybe the drive shaft got a refresh also. Althought it's very shiny for a stocker.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #3 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Granite Guru

Did the article say they were stock? Those magazines are bad about not including all the parts of a build.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

He didn't touch on much more than saying they were stock w/rzeppas. I noticed the rear was unlike any I've seen before.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just saw it. Weird?
post #6 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are they, perhaps, the pre-production JE Reel's with the CVs(similar joint as to the ones used on the RCV axles)?

I havnt seen the article yet....just guessing

----edit----

These: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...ion/index.html

Last edited by BenFoo; 06-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

No, he says they're the stock shafts f&r. I stopped by my local stealer today and took a peek under both a 2011 4dr and 2011 2 dr. The latter's shafts looked like what's in the photos, only they weren't quite as shiny. 4dr looked same as always.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like a regular 2dr rear driveshaft to me, just without any surface rust. Very first JK I ever saw in person was a 2dr (October 2006), and the shaft looked just like Sleepers.

Jason West -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 JKUR HardRock, Granite Crystal, RE/Synergy 3.5", 37s, the new project
'09 JKUR, RE 3.5", 37" MT/R-Ks, Expedition One bumpers, TNT Customs armor. SOLD.
'95 XJ lifted and locked on 35s.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

What threw me is I'd never seen a stock JK 2dr rear shaft before. Question, how can he run these successfully with a 3" long arm?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
What threw me is I'd never seen a stock JK 2dr rear shaft before. Question, how can he run these successfully with a 3" long arm?
Haha, yeah, totally different looking than our 4dr driveshafts. I doubt it's got any more wheel travel than a regular 3" short arm kit though. Other than the fact they're running a long arm kit with only 3" of lift I don't remember there being anything out of the ordinary with the suspension.

What seems odd to me is that they're still running the stock shafts considering all the other mods they've done... long arm kit, ProRock 44 front end, Currie steering kit, hydro-assist, etc. I'm sure there are some nice shiny u-jointed shafts waiting in the wings for a future magazine issue though.

Jason West -
|

'16 JKUR HardRock, Granite Crystal, RE/Synergy 3.5", 37s, the new project
'09 JKUR, RE 3.5", 37" MT/R-Ks, Expedition One bumpers, TNT Customs armor. SOLD.
'95 XJ lifted and locked on 35s.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah, the build seems to have changed as he progressed. The RVC shafts that were on there last month are somehow gone & replaced with something else, can't recall right now but normal shafts with stock u-joints. Like that Poly long arm but I still don't see the advantage at less than 5" lift. JMHO, or course.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM
JKowners Vendor

Both front and rear drive shafts are stock- they were clear coated to prevent rust. The Poly long arm works awesome on that Jeep. Long arm kits still have their advantages even on small lifts. It is one of the best driving JK's I have ever driven. Phil usually has specific reasons for each build that he does. Most of the time he is doing his own research on different ideas. He was very worried about the cv blowing up on front aftermarket driveshafts and blowing his t-case in half. Not to mention every now and again you get a driveshaft that just won't balance. He wanted to see how the factory shaft would hold up to his off road driving and how smooth it would run down the highway. I can say that each time I have helped Phil build a vehicle he will settle for nothing less than perfect with each project. That is why you sometimes see subtle changes between each of the build stories. He enjoys researching and trying almost every part that becomes available for JK's.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 AM
JPK
Rock God

In the race to build their Jeeps, most loose sight of the fact that the oem shafts are the stronger, smoother running option, that rzeppas are the better way to go if at all possible.

JPK
post #14 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Right. The main reason for swapping them out is joint boot failure and front shaft interference. The rear one is pretty thin, too, and we've seen numerous examples of them twisting up. A little less than tough on ledge hits, too. I'm still waiting for someone like Tom Woods to adapt the stock joints to a tougher, thinner shaft. That's what threw me when I saw the photo of the rear shaft on "Sleeper", looked like that was what someone had done. The fact that Jeep has done this on the 2dr means it's possible.

Impulse, I always enjoy Phil's writeups. I've assumed he's working with a magazine budget for these and that he just sells them off once he's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode