Body Tilts After Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Body Tilts After Lift

Installed a 3.5" Rock Krawler Lift on my 09 JK Unlimited Rubicon several months ago. I was told on a 4 wheeling trip that I showed a slight tilt to the right. With a full tank of gas, the tilt is much more pronounced.
Any good fixes for that.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapplephx View Post
Installed a 3.5" Rock Krawler Lift on my 09 JK Unlimited Rubicon several months ago. I was told on a 4 wheeling trip that I showed a slight tilt to the right. With a full tank of gas, the tilt is much more pronounced.
Jeep Lean.. you has it!

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 18 Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm not sure if there is any one good fix for it. The reasons I have heard vary, fuel tank, torque on that side, spring rates and then some. I even read once somewhere that it was believed to be the way the rear track bar is positioned and/or mounted or the sort. Whatever it is, its common on the JK. And, sometimes it isn't there or as prevalent.

Me personally, I resolved mine with a set of ACOS (adjustable coil over spacers) made by JKS Manufacturing. I am very happy with them and they have turned out to be very useful in the many stages of my JK's build. The ability to raise or lower for whatever the reason has been a benefit that I didn't realize or take into account when I installed them. Again, I initially got them solely for the leaning issue.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info.....
post #5 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Mine leans to the right, to the left with my fat ass in it. Shrug

Mytouch 4G
post #6 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Granite Guru

Check to see that your coils are rotated in the buckets properly. There is a notch for the end of the coil since the coils aren't ground flat on the ends. If the coil is rotated out of that notch, that side will ride high.

Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
post #7 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^^ Also, on the rear coils the indexing makes a huge difference on spring compression if the axles is rotated for DS alignment and the spring pads are not modified. The first time I installed mine I had them 180 degrees out from each other and it made over 1/2" difference in height. If you have a coil wedge or have corrected the pads the indexing should not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #8 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
JKowners Vendor

All of the above are very good things to check.

One major thing to concider is rechecking the axles to make sure they are square and everything is set properly.

As the suspension settles in from a brand new condition, the track bar lengths, control arm lengths and everything should be checked for square! If things are not square, the coils will take loads funny which will cause a lean.

The above is a great thing to check whenever you add or change your accessories (i.e add or subtract wieght to the vehicle). That effects the dynamics of the vehicle in a major way.

Good Luck and definitely check out what the above Peeps had to say and take into concideration what we had to say...

RK
post #9 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Hey, I think we met at the Pavilions and discussed the lean. Mine had 1/2" lean to the passenger side when it was stock and still had it after the 3.5" RK XF. Adding a winch up front and dual battery on that side didn't help the rake or lean.

I bought some front spacers from Fortec here:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47950

I used two of the 3/4" on the front passenger side and one 3/4" on the front drivers side. Basically one on each side to fix the front end rake and an extra one on the passenger to fix the lean. It worked perfectly and I couldn't be happier.

- Chris

Last edited by ChrisR; 06-08-2011 at 06:15 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
All of the above are very good things to check.

One major thing to concider is rechecking the axles to make sure they are square and everything is set properly.

As the suspension settles in from a brand new condition, the track bar lengths, control arm lengths and everything should be checked for square! If things are not square, the coils will take loads funny which will cause a lean.

The above is a great thing to check whenever you add or change your accessories (i.e add or subtract wieght to the vehicle). That effects the dynamics of the vehicle in a major way.

Good Luck and definitely check out what the above Peeps had to say and take into concideration what we had to say...

RK

Can you detail for us how this is done..

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #11 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Wheeler

JK lean

I have found through several different sets of coils that a 3/4 " spacer rear right and a 1/2 spacer front right will level it out to sit flat with a full tank and no occupants. In the US, the weight of the driver levels this out a little, but in Oz, the weight of the driver makes it worse. A couple of local coil manufacturers are now making left and right hand coils as they do for many other vehicles to counter this.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Can you detail for us how this is done..
Man, that is alot of typing right there! We will give some pointers in a bit.

RK
post #13 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Man, that is alot of typing right there! We will give some pointers in a bit.

RK

We will be anxiously waiting.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 PM
JKowners Vendor

Wow, where to start this one. Thanks Hitmoney!

The first thing we would recommend is visual checks, making sure the axles are centered front to back in the wheel wells where you would like them to be. Then, to check side to side position of the axles, use a plum bob off the frame to known points on the axle on both sides. Make any adjustments that you see fit. While you are doing this, keep in mind you also need to maintain the proper amount of caster up front and the proper pinion angle settings in the rear.

If you need to check your thrust angle in the back to ensure the axle does not dog track, be sure to measure in an x fashion under the vehicle. For example on a mid arm system, measure from the same position on the lower control arm mount on the axle on the driver's side over to the lower control arm mount at the frame on the passenger side and then vice versa. Compare the numbers and make an adjustment if needed. You can also get the thrust angle measured in the rear from a standard 4 wheel alignment.

The same procedure as above can also be done to ensure the front axle is square in the vehicle.

That was not all that bad actually. Of course that is the short version!

RK
post #15 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 PM
JKowners Vendor

What, no pictures? Wheres the long version?

LOL Nice simple write up. That way, people have a starting point to look and see where their setup may be off. Thanks buddy!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #16 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
Hey, I think we met at the Pavilions and discussed the lean. Mine had 1/2" lean to the passenger side when it was stock and still had it after the 3.5" RK XF. Adding a winch up front and dual battery on that side didn't help the rake or lean.

I bought some front spacers from Fortec here:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47950

I used two of the 3/4" on the front passenger side and one 3/4" on the front drivers side. Basically one on each side to fix the front end rake and an extra one on the passenger to fix the lean. It worked perfectly and I couldn't be happier.

- Chris
Yes I remember you. My right lean seems to have gotten worse. Got lots of good feedback on this site.....
post #17 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

As soon as the problem presents itself if it is caused by an adjustment being off, it will progressively get worse as the coil springs are not taking the loads the way they should. This is very typical.

RK
post #18 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

The weird thing that mine does when I go over bumps, railroad tracks or whatever the compression and rebound of the entire jeep feels like it has more spring on one side and the other while still having spring feels somewhat dead. Too add to that it also feels like the jeep moves from one side to the other.

Hold your hand out, no drop it some and then go back up to the original spot but move it to the side and that is how that part feels. It almost feels like the passenger side front, rear or both have no spring in them.

Any ideas.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode