GPS Systems For Your JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation GPS Systems For Your JK

Well, to start with, I just recently received my new Quadratec book and as I was flipping through the pages, I found the "Garmin Trail Guide For '97-'08 Wranglers" listed for $839.99!!! I was like holy &@%* when I just ordered a "Intelnav" gps for 1/4 the price of that. I had just gotten it today, and it's actually alot better than I thought it would be. It's loaded with extras and even has voice recognition, which is pretty cool if you ask me . It has a sattelite for Mexico, United States, and Canada, I'm not even sure that's all of them too, since I have a tiny attention spand only dragging the screen along for an hour or so to get to Vancouver.

Mine is even a touch screen, while the $800 isn't. Big deal, mine doesn't say "Jeep" on it like the Garmin one does . Mine is also removable so I can take it hiking, mountain biking, boating ect. It even has a map of the water so...

So don't go and waste your money on a $800 GPS while you can just go to HSN.com (Home Shoping Network) and get the same one I did for 1/4 the price. I'm very happy with it but I'm not sure exactly if it displays trails and stuff, I'll get back to you on that. For street traveling though, 5 out 5 stars

http://electronics.hsn.com/intellina...32457&ocm=sekw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Actually it doesn't I was reading my quadratec book on the garmin one and tyoing at the same time and It doesn't go to canada and mexico but it does do the water stuff

sorry bout that, my bad
post #3 of 10 Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to michaelkern Send a message via Skype™ to michaelkern

Thanks for the write up. I too balked at the Garmen GPS and settled for a Tom Tom GPS unit and have downloaded some of the local trails to it. Works real well.

2008 Black 4-door Unlimited X All Stock but saving up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM

If you are wondering why this guy is vouching for a product that you never heard of, well its because he is an affiliate.

He put his affiliate Code in the Link and when you buy what he is hawking, he gets paid.

I hate this ****!!!!

I have nothing against a good honest review, but affiliate codes should be banned!!!
post #5 of 10 Old 11-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I (personally, and Lance may say different) won't ban anyone for this, unless it becomes habitual, deliberate or troublesome.

However if it was mentioned in the original post that they are an affiliate then I think everyone would feel a little better about this. Plus then if they regularly promote products that they receive a kick back for then I'd rather see them pony up for vendor status.

So my response to this is, in the future, if you are being compensated such as an affiliate for a product, I think everyone should know up front and it should be mentioned in the post. We want everyone to be able to freely speak about all products good and bad but at the same token, it would be a good thing if we know whomever is speaking has any interest in the products or in the competition.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

The Jeep unit comes with a new piece for the top of the dash center stack that holds the unit and acts as a charging cradle. It charges off the Jeep and can be removed for use as a handheld unit when you leave the jeep to go hiking or whatever.
Also they can be had new off of ebay for ~$575 shipped.

Disclaimer:
I don't have any interest one way or the other - heck I don't even own either unit, I have a garmin e-trek. I've just researched the Trailmate and will probably pick one up for the Jeep eventually. I just wanted to tell the rest of the story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 AM
TrailDuty.com

I have a Magellan Crossover and love it.

I considered installing something like a AVIC-Z1, but figured it was just too much of a temptation to thieves, so went with a Magellan Crossover instead, which is also a portable unit and does topo and marine maps too.

I made my own mount and have it wired to an ignition switched source.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-08-2007, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergy9 View Post
If you are wondering why this guy is vouching for a product that you never heard of, well its because he is an affiliate.

He put his affiliate Code in the Link and when you buy what he is hawking, he gets paid.

I hate this ****!!!!

I have nothing against a good honest review, but affiliate codes should be banned!!!
No, no, no, I don't sell these things. I just thought it was great little gadget.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-15-2007, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up

Hey that sounds like a nifty gps you got there. I actually have the same one, well not me but the wife does. She has it for when we go on long distance trips and fun stuff with the "in-laws"
post #10 of 10 Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Wheeler

The Jeep Trail Guide is just a Garmin Quest 2 with minor extras. (Menu colors, Jeep POI's, etc.)

I already had a Quest from a couple years ago, so I just ordered the mount and it works great.

While the Quest 1 & 2 are a few years old they're still nice units.

I wonder how long that one runs on the Li-Ion battery? (Quests are up to 20 hours.)

Is it waterproof? Us Jeepers like to run / wheel with the top off, regardless of the weather.

Does it hold Topo maps? A street GPS is worthless once you go offroad. . . unless it has a "breadcrumb trail" feature (The Quest do. . . and you can upload that "track" to Google Earth and see where you were.)

How many routes does it hold? (These hold 50. So you can program in say. . . 45 different trails and then also have a different route for each of 5 days before you head out.)

Speaking of programming. Can you sit at the computer and program it? I'd really hate to have to use the touch screen to program in a full weeks worth of trails, POI's, etc.

You said it "does do the water stuff", so that's good as I like having the option of being able to load in "Bluechart" maps for when I decide to go out on the oceans, or I can load in the "inland lakes" maps for when I go to the local lakes. (Once again, since it's waterproof it's safe out on the water.)

Now, while the windshield mount worked fine I decided to go ahead and spend the $250 on the mount for no other reasons than to get rid of the dangling power cord, and it also has twin speakers that are closer to ear level, so that helps us hear it when the top is off. (The Quests come with a speaker / power cord combo unit.)

Nowadays, you can get Quest 1 refurbs's for $200 on ebay all the time. While it does have some weaknesses I still love mine.

The weaknesses? None in my opinion, but some have complained about the below. . .

They're not touchscreen. They don't have the text to speech option to say the street name. . . just the "turn in 100 feet". The Quest 1's only have 115 Mb of memory, so you do have to be picky with which detailed maps you load. The Quest 2 on the otherhand does have fully detailed maps for the entire US preloaded. . . but it's slower to load / update if you miss a turn, etc. Only 256 color display, and no option for a 3D "birdseye" view. They don't play MP3's, or show pictures, or have bluetooth.

IMO, I'd gladly take a Quest 1 from a known company for the same price. And finally. . . there's a reason Jeep chose the Quest 2 to use as the trail guide. It just works good for our purpose.

Edit. I don't work for, sell, or have anything to do with Garmin. I just like my Quest. (You can find these same comments from me on numerous Jeep forums.

Last edited by Hip2u77; 11-19-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode