Look at my pics. would a drag link flip benefit me - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Look at my pics. would a drag link flip benefit me

Put RK 3.5 springs in the front with a teraflex 1 inch spacer minus the factory insulator. it was just under 3/4 thick.So lets say about a 4 inch lift

If I do A drag link flip do I raise the track bar up in to the top hole of the jks axle brace also

41 inches in this pic with stock wheels and tires at bottom of fender

Also if you notice anything that might look like it would be a problem let me know. like the disconnects are close to the springs

RK 3.5 LIFT/RRD SHOCKS/FRONT CONTROL ARMS/DRAG LINK/TRACK BAR/REAR BRAKE HOSES/COOPER 295-75-17 STT JEEPERMAN FRONT BUMPER SUPERWINCH EPI9 JKS LOWER TRACK BAR BRACES/DISCONNECTS CRAGAR WHEELS SOFT 8 SYNERGY UPPER TRACK BAR BRACES RR SKID PLATES BENCHMARK DESIGNS EVAP SKID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

RK 3.5 LIFT/RRD SHOCKS/FRONT CONTROL ARMS/DRAG LINK/TRACK BAR/REAR BRAKE HOSES/COOPER 295-75-17 STT JEEPERMAN FRONT BUMPER SUPERWINCH EPI9 JKS LOWER TRACK BAR BRACES/DISCONNECTS CRAGAR WHEELS SOFT 8 SYNERGY UPPER TRACK BAR BRACES RR SKID PLATES BENCHMARK DESIGNS EVAP SKID
post #3 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Wheeler

Dont know the JKS brace, but it does look like its designed for two positions in your pic. If you do move it up you will need a second bolt, one for the track bar and one to go through the original hole/ original mount for added strength (will also need a bush to replace the trackbar so the mount doesnt crush).

Short answer is yes, if you flip the drag link you will need to lift the track bar to keep them close to parallel otherwise you will have very strange handling (bump steer in the front as the track bar and drag link are on different angles)

Last edited by SeaComms; 06-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Granite Guru

Are you having specific issues related to your other trackbar thread or just inquiring?

A level picture from tire to tire (so we could see the complete picture) of the trackbar and draglink would help. The one looking from drivers side looks ok to me?
post #5 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass122 View Post
Are you having specific issues related to your other trackbar thread or just inquiring?

A level picture from tire to tire (so we could see the complete picture) of the trackbar and draglink would help. The one looking from drivers side looks ok to me?
just inquiring. Not related to other thread

Will get full pic tomorrow

post #6 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Dont know the JKS brace, but it does look like its designed for two positions in your pic. If you do move it up you will need a second bolt, one for the track bar and one to go through the original hole/ original mount for added strength (will also need a bush to replace the trackbar so the mount doesnt crush).

Short answer is yes, if you flip the drag link you will need to lift the track bar to keep them close to parallel otherwise you will have very strange handling (bump steer in the front as the track bar and drag link are on different angles)
The jks brace did come with extra bolt and bushing. Just have to locate it.Its been a few years since i seen it

post #7 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Rock God

your track bar should have the adjustable side on the axle not the frame.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Rock God

also, your JKS sway bar links look like they need to be extended. your sway bar should be within +5 degrees parallel to the ground. it seems like mine are way longer then yours and I only have about 2-3" of lift.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
also, your JKS sway bar links look like they need to be extended. your sway bar should be within +5 degrees parallel to the ground. it seems like mine are way longer then yours and I only have about 2-3" of lift.
My track bar has both ends that are adjustable(Rock krawler)

Good eyes. Thats why I'm asking, forgot about making sway bar links longer. still set from other springs

What steering stabilizer do you have?

post #10 of 20 Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
My track bar has both ends that are adjustable(Rock krawler)

Good eyes. Thats why I'm asking, forgot about making sway bar links longer. still set from other springs

What steering stabilizer do you have?
fox steering stabalizer. don't waste your money on it. stock one works just fine.

why did you switch to rock krawler coils? I love my old man emu hd coils...

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #11 of 20 Old 06-05-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
fox steering stabalizer. don't waste your money on it. stock one works just fine.

why did you switch to rock krawler coils? I love my old man emu hd coils...

The ome coils were bowing and sagging badly.

post #12 of 20 Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i have a non-topic question for you. Why does it look like you drove thru gallons of oil and it flew up on your frame and inner fenders?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #13 of 20 Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
i have a non-topic question for you. Why does it look like you drove thru gallons of oil and it flew up on your frame and inner fenders?
did you think i really off road? no baby, this thing is all for looks

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #14 of 20 Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
did you think i really off road? no baby, this thing is all for looks
not you silly, the orginal poster, looks like he drives thru oil puddles.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #15 of 20 Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
10-4.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #16 of 20 Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I wish I could find oil puddles to drive threw. Then I wouldn't have to spray it on. keeps it from rusting

post #17 of 20 Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Slow and Low

I would move the track bar to the top hole in your axle bracket, then weld the bracket to the axle (if you haven't already), and get the RK Ultimate Steering Package wich includes the drag link flip.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I did the drag link flip with th RK bushing

here is the track bar relocated in the upper hole in the JKS bracket

And a a crappy pic of the new angles

post #19 of 20 Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Question: What problem are you trying to solve by flipping your drag link? Do you currently have bump steer? I'm of the opinion that if your rig is handling well then don't change the geometry.

I was running fine with the stock tie rod and drag link until, even after bending/adjusting them a few times. I decided to go heavy duty and got beefed-up drag link and tie rod (doesn't matter what brand). Even though I was having no ride issues I decided to flip the drag link because it seemed that would make it more parallel to the track bar, and also gain some clearance.

BIG MISTAKE!

First ride out I had death wobble. Being the stubborn bastard I am, instead of returning to the stock geometry I kept upgrading other components until I finally fixed the death wobble. First I went through all the threads. Then I replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, new trackbar, replaced the springs and shocks (which were sagging and needed replacing anyway), adjustable control arms to set my castor. Ultimately put long-arm radius setup on the front and a second steering stabilizer and it finally went away, about $1,500 later in parts and alignments.

I'm all for beefing-up weak parts of your rig. But don't make needless changes to the geometry. My understanding is that bump steer is an indication that you might benefit from a flip drag link. If this isn't a problem, I'd stick to the stock geometry for now. You can always change your mind and flip it later.

Just my two cents.

I'm a JKO Reject

Last edited by BumpInTheRoad; 06-26-2011 at 08:04 PM.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Question: What problem are you trying to solve by flipping your drag link? Do you currently have bump steer? I'm of the opinion that if your rig is handling well then don't change the geometry.

I was running fine with the stock tie rod and drag link until, even after bending/adjusting them a few times. I decided to go heavy duty and got beefed-up drag link and tie rod (doesn't matter what brand). Even though I was having no ride issues I decided to flip the drag link because it seemed that would make it more parallel to the track bar, and also gain some clearance.

BIG MISTAKE!

First ride out I had death wobble. Being the stubborn bastard I am, instead of returning to the stock geometry I kept upgrading other components until I finally fixed the death wobble. First I went through all the threads. Then I replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, new trackbar, replaced the springs and shocks (which were sagging and needed replacing anyway), adjustable control arms to set my castor. Ultimately put long-arm radius setup on the front and a second steering stabilizer and it finally went away, about $1,500 later in parts and alignments.

I'm all for beefing-up weak parts of your rig. But don't make needless changes to the geometry. My understanding is that bump steer is an indication that you might benefit from a flip drag link. If this isn't a problem, I'd stick to the stock geometry for now. You can always change your mind and flip it later.

Just my two cents.
at

yes. did have some bump steer and major death wobble at times.Wanted to see if the flip helped or not

I can feel a difference (as in better) in doing the flip when hitting bumps or pot holes.

Changing to the RK track bar and Polly bracket also made a difference in the way it feels to the better.Did this first

I need to drive it more to see if the death wobble is gone. sometimes it would not do it for weeks at a time. then some times it would do it often

but the last time i drove it it did feel allot better overall after doing the up grades

Im waiting on my RK shocks then i can drive it more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode