Mounting body armor with double-sided tape... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Mounting body armor with double-sided tape...

No, really. This idiotic thought has been brought to you by the ever-meandering mind of X-Defector.

I hate fuxerts. Everyone hates fuxerts because they suck. Drilling into the Heep's tub is no concern, but those damn nutserts are the devil. So.....suppose one was going to mount something like AEV corner armor. Why not use tape?

3M makes this industrial double-sided foam tape. It's about 1/16th inch thick or so. One inch is guaranteed to hold 30 lbs. It's weather proof, waterproof, and the adhesive is no joke. I've used this stuff in the past and removal is definitely the hardest part. It's serious stuff. There's no way a piece of corner armor is coming off from rock impacts if its attached by this stuff. And....you avoid fuxerts and everything that comes with them.

Anyone considered something like this, much less try it? I see no compelling reason why it wouldn't work...

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd go with the panel adhesive before a tape. Roofs, 1/4 panels, etc are held on with nothing but that these days

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Slow and Low

Do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just ripped off some chrome over lays off of my truck mirrors that was held on with that stuff. Wasn't easy but I got that shit off.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Go buy a shit door or hood from an auto wrecker and give it a go. Tape something on and see what lets go first.

I am thinking you will peel the paint off the body panel you are attaching the tape too.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
JKowners Vendor

I could see where this might work! We have used that 3M stuff on about everything automotive and has held up great! Give it a shot and let us know how it does...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #7 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Try well nuts. I did a whole side with them, easy. Havent gotten around to fix the other side.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #8 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Rock God

You could also try silicone and glue them on.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i would just use old gum, its all over the side walks and free.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I didn't have anything even close to an "issue" when installing my AEV corners. The nutserts and tool worked flawlessly. It was a REALLY easy install.

Or-

have your rear passengers just hold the AEV corners out the sides when you are getting close to trees and rocks.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Granite Guru

My UHF is installed with this epic double sided tape.

My rego plates are held on with it also.

I used it on the rego plate as a temporary fix. Now it won't come off at all.

I used it on the UHF so I didn't have to make any holes thinking I could remove it when I wanted. Hah. Yeh right, this stuff is on for good. lol

Can't see why it wouldn't hold body armour on. Whats the worst that can go wrong? Rips off paint? Stick it down again. Falls off? Use some nutserts or rivets.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #12 of 12 Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Rock God

I don't see why everyone hates nutserts; if you have the right tool (not the crap "tool" that comes with everything) the installation is pretty easy and hassle-free.

But, I don't see why double-sided tape wouldn't work if you used enough of it. Obviously, this is pretty much JUST for corners; no way in hell would I use it on rocker armor and such...

-WRM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode