recentered hummer wheel balancing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

recentered hummer wheel balancing

Iv searched and seen a few threads that mention it but what are you guys doing to balance your tires. O and Andy at trailworthy rocks great guy to deal with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Granite Guru

If you get lucky regular balancing will work. I have a set of 37" Military MTR's that balanced very easily by standard means. I have also had a set of MT's that were easy and a set that was a nightmare.

The nightmare set involved a lot of unbolting, spinning of tire/swapping tires and wheels and bolting back together just to get close.

There are also alternative ways that I have heard of with BB's and water. I have tried the BB method, but the goop (runflat lube) on the inside of the tires I had just kept suspending the BB's.

Good luck!
post #3 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

fought mine for months
discount tire's balance job made 'em worse
4K of airsoft BBs per tire (after wiping out the black goo) and they're smooth as silk up to 90+ now

oh yeah and finding the bent wheel and getting it out of the mix helped a lot too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks alot guys i think i will try the bbs first
post #5 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

might as well give it a shot (lol get it? I crack myself up!) its easy and cheap enough to try.
just rethinking it, I did 3K per wheel, not 4 because I bought 12K at first then another pack to do the spare

fwiw, walmart was actually cheaper than ebay for bulk airsoft BBs, but the ones I got off ebay were nice because they were packages in individual 1000 packs.
made it easy to do 3 packs per wheel.
I think I paid like $16 shipped for 12K BBs

Quote:
post #6 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice, I went to Dick's and got them in the 5k qty for $12.

I also found out my wobble had something due to using the wrong lug nuts...
Everything was tight and seated perfectly (or so I thought) when I installed them, but look now (had to break open the solid nuts to get home safely):

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #7 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 06:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm using the factory lugnuts on mine, Andy said any 60 degree taper should work
but thats on the pressed centers, dunno about on the factory humvee centers with adapters tho

Quote:
post #8 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I'm using the factory lugnuts on mine, Andy said any 60 degree taper should work
but thats on the pressed centers, dunno about on the factory humvee centers with adapters tho
With the adapters you need 14x1.5mm thread. I got the longest ones avail, and they are just too short. Ordered open ends. 35 for $30 shipped. Will be driving it again by Wed.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I did 3K per wheel, I think I paid like $16 shipped for 12K BBs
Hey Venom, did you use the "ultra heavy" .25g ones? I'm up to 1700 (.25g) bb's (15oz.) per tire and still not right even without the beadlock insert. Also are you running the TW inserts? On the fence on buying more if it wont "fix" it.

Mike
post #10 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

how are you running them without the insert?

anyway no, just the regular BBs
check your wheels for run out, make sure they're straight and the tires don't hop too

Quote:
post #11 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
might as well give it a shot (lol get it? I crack myself up!) its easy and cheap enough to try.
just rethinking it, I did 3K per wheel, not 4 because I bought 12K at first then another pack to do the spare

fwiw, walmart was actually cheaper than ebay for bulk airsoft BBs, but the ones I got off ebay were nice because they were packages in individual 1000 packs.
made it easy to do 3 packs per wheel.
I think I paid like $16 shipped for 12K BBs
O I see what you did there lol... i tried the bbs didnt really work. How picky are the rims about be torqued down together (like making sure you tighten down the rim evenly when you put it together) Im pretty sure i did it right but iv never done it b4 so who knows.

Im thinking about just taking it somewhere and letting them do it bc i dont really have any of my tools down here. Im not feeling working all day on the tires again.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 AM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
how are you running them without the insert?
You can run them to a certain psi without the inserts, but you can lose a bead very easily, just by turning while at lower psi's.

Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol jk View Post
O I see what you did there lol... i tried the bbs didnt really work. How picky are the rims about be torqued down together (like making sure you tighten down the rim evenly when you put it together) Im pretty sure i did it right but iv never done it b4 so who knows.

Im thinking about just taking it somewhere and letting them do it bc i dont really have any of my tools down here. Im not feeling working all day on the tires again.
they are very sensitive about this
if you don't have a 1/2" drive impact gun, get one!
it will quickly become your best friend dealing with these beasts!
harbor freight has an electric thats usually on sale for $40 and it kicks ass for these wheels
Also gonna need a good 1/2" drive, 3/4" deepwell impact socket - impact sockets are black, not chrome.
tighten them in a double criss cross pattern - if you number them 1 thru 8 around the ring then tighten 1-5-7-3-6-2-8-4 - repeat
do it several times, each time snugging them down further until they're tight/the 2 halves of the rim are touching all the way around
with an impact, it takes all of about 5 minutes to assemble a wheel.

good luck finding a tire shop that knows what a bead lock is, let alone is willing to work on one!

with an impact and some practice it gets to be no big deal to break it down and work on it anymore - I can break one down and rebuild it in about 20 minutes now.

I hear ya about spending the day wrestling with these -I probably rebuilt mine a dozen times each trying to figure things out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjr View Post
You can run them to a certain psi without the inserts, but you can lose a bead very easily, just by turning while at lower psi's.
wow I wouldnt even TRY running without an insert of some sort, theres no bead lip in the wheels without one!

I'd say the 2 problems going on in this thread - or at least 2 big factors are Mike not using the insert and lol not tightening the wheel evenly & tight enough.
I'm using 3000 .12 gram BBs per, so 1700 .25 gram should be enough overall weight.

also SPIN AND CHECK YOUR WHEELS FOR TRUENESS!
I had one from TWF that had a major wobble in it, Andy took care of it and had to make me a new rear half, but until I found it I had a hell of a time trying to get these things riding decent - it was like driving a paint shaker.
Also if you have a stubborn wheel that doesnt want to balance, pop it apart and rotate everything - back half 90 or 180 degrees different on the tire and front half 90 or 180 off from the back.
If you get the heavy sides on the wheel halves and the tire all aligned, no way you'll balance it out.

I can't begin to say how good Andy (dookey) has been to work with on my wheels - I've had some issues with them but he's been right there along the way to make it right.

I still have hop in my spare- I need to put it on and spin it to see if its the tire or wheel so I can get it back to TWF, but getting that 150lb combo up on my fastback carrier is a BITCH!
Probably do it tonight tho when cjb321 is here and we can throw his winch cable over one of the rafters in the shop to lift it on and off.

like I said, it's been a mega bitch of a time getting to where I am now, but the BBs and finding 4 true wheels fixed everything and now I'm finally happy with the ride.
I run 90+ MPH occasionally responding to snake calls for the sheriff's office and these are good and smooth on the highway at speed now.

Quote:

Last edited by venom; 06-04-2011 at 12:09 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

im staying home! those wheels are the devil. my winch is broken. its too windy to drive up i20. i need more excuses!

i'll be there in a couple hours lol

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #15 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 11:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb321 View Post
i'll be there in a couple hours lol
then I'll shower and put on clothes soon

oh yeah, chris - Lucille's is out of biz so no mo burgers/killer onion rings from there.
But Julie's new schedule means she can hit whistle stop with us now.

Quote:
post #16 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
they are very sensitive about this
if you don't have a 1/2" drive impact gun, get one!
it will quickly become your best friend dealing with these beasts!
harbor freight has an electric thats usually on sale for $40 and it kicks ass for these wheels
Also gonna need a good 1/2" drive, 3/4" deepwell impact socket - impact sockets are black, not chrome.
tighten them in a double criss cross pattern - if you number them 1 thru 8 around the ring then tighten 1-5-7-3-6-2-8-4 - repeat
do it several times, each time snugging them down further until they're tight/the 2 halves of the rim are touching all the way around
with an impact, it takes all of about 5 minutes to assemble a wheel.

good luck finding a tire shop that knows what a bead lock is, let alone is willing to work on one!

with an impact and some practice it gets to be no big deal to break it down and work on it anymore - I can break one down and rebuild it in about 20 minutes now.

I hear ya about spending the day wrestling with these -I probably rebuilt mine a dozen times each trying to figure things out!

wow I wouldnt even TRY running without an insert of some sort, theres no bead lip in the wheels without one!

I'd say the 2 problems going on in this thread - or at least 2 big factors are Mike not using the insert and lol not tightening the wheel evenly & tight enough.
I'm using 3000 .12 gram BBs per, so 1700 .25 gram should be enough overall weight.

also SPIN AND CHECK YOUR WHEELS FOR TRUENESS!
I had one from TWF that had a major wobble in it, Andy took care of it and had to make me a new rear half, but until I found it I had a hell of a time trying to get these things riding decent - it was like driving a paint shaker.
Also if you have a stubborn wheel that doesnt want to balance, pop it apart and rotate everything - back half 90 or 180 degrees different on the tire and front half 90 or 180 off from the back.
If you get the heavy sides on the wheel halves and the tire all aligned, no way you'll balance it out.

I can't begin to say how good Andy (dookey) has been to work with on my wheels - I've had some issues with them but he's been right there along the way to make it right.

I still have hop in my spare- I need to put it on and spin it to see if its the tire or wheel so I can get it back to TWF, but getting that 150lb combo up on my fastback carrier is a BITCH!
Probably do it tonight tho when cjb321 is here and we can throw his winch cable over one of the rafters in the shop to lift it on and off.

like I said, it's been a mega bitch of a time getting to where I am now, but the BBs and finding 4 true wheels fixed everything and now I'm finally happy with the ride.
I run 90+ MPH occasionally responding to snake calls for the sheriff's office and these are good and smooth on the highway at speed now.
uggh i feel so dumb for not thinking about an electric impact i broke them all down and put them back together by hand yesterday. Iv got an air impact but not here since i just moved. Im going to the store for beer and impact to try again
post #17 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol jk View Post
uggh i feel so dumb for not thinking about an electric impact i broke them all down and put them back together by hand yesterday. Iv got an air impact but not here since i just moved. Im going to the store for beer and impact to try again
look at the title of this thread...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47873

Quote:
post #18 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
look at the title of this thread...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47873
hey man but seriously thanks for the help
post #19 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

good luck!

and if you didn't read it before, after you get the wheel halves bolted back together good and even/tight - jack it up and spin those wheels!
if you happened to get a wobbler, nothing's gonna fix it!

Quote:
post #20 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 01:13 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
good luck!

and if you didn't read it before, after you get the wheel halves bolted back together good and even/tight - jack it up and spin those wheels!
if you happened to get a wobbler, nothing's gonna fix it!
Tell me about it!

Quote:
Quote:
post #21 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Rock God

On the no inserts, As a kid we had 2 farm trucs with 16.5 rims and no safety bead and I've been in the military for almost 18yrs and a hummer driver for almost 17. I've had a lot of these wheels and tires to tear down and re-assemble We've never balanced them for the hummers from the old 36" bias plys to now so I didn't think I'd have any problems. I've had them apart 6-8 times checking & spinning them. I've only got like .003-.005 runout around the mounting flange, I'll have to check the outer edge of the rims. Mine are the second gen 12 bolts with the red o rings and the wheel flange is part of the outer ring. I'll keep trying, up to 15 oz. of beads so far and my DW is down to a good shimy at 35-40. Other times it's not present through 65?
Maybe next weekend....

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode