Adjustable Shocks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Adjustable Shocks

When you have the ability to adjust your shocks, what feel should you be looking for? I have a 2010 4dr Wrangler. My Rock Krawler 2.5 Max just arrived, and I will be having it installed tomorrow. I've read where people talk about a hard ride in comparison to a soft ride. Is there a happy medium I should be looking for? Do I pass this info along to the installer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
When you have the ability to adjust your shocks, what feel should you be looking for? I have a 2010 4dr Wrangler. My Rock Krawler 2.5 Max just arrived, and I will be having it installed tomorrow. I've read where people talk about a hard ride in comparison to a soft ride. Is there a happy medium I should be looking for? Do I pass this info along to the installer?
I have the 2.5 springs and am rocking rancho rs9000xl adjustables. i really like having the option of tuning the ride the way i want it. i had it set a little too ystiff at first and it handled like a sports car.

well i decided i wanted to soften it up so it rode nice over expansion joints and stuff. i took it too soft and it was really squishy and kinda rode like a boat at sea. then i took the fronts to a 4 and the rears to a 6 and boom, instantly a different jeep. still handles great and it rides really nicely over expansion joints and small bumps (what i was looking for).

i love having the option.

it's just a knob you turn... there's really no reason you can't just adjust them to your liking. i actually still need to install the myride controller so i can do it from the drivers seat

31 jeeps in... still have issues

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 06-02-2011 at 12:37 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
JKowners Vendor

We have some guys running the RK lifts with the Fox Shock adjustable's. They really like them as well. Like stated above, it is nice to "tune" your shocks for what you need and want.

What shocks are you planning on running with your lift?

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
We have some guys running the RK lifts with the Fox Shock adjustable's. They really like them as well. Like stated above, it is nice to "tune" your shocks for what you need and want.

What shocks are you planning on running with your lift?

-Jason
I already have the RRD2.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

As a side note I am getting so excited I can barely sit down for five minutes. So you are saying i can easily adjust the shocks? I thought it was about increasing and decreasing the nitrogen.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
As a side note I am getting so excited I can barely sit down for five minutes. So you are saying i can easily adjust the shocks? I thought it was about increasing and decreasing the nitrogen.
when you talk about adjustable shocks it makes people think of adjustable fox, pro comp mx6, rancho RS9000xl, etc

they adjust like this:

the knob on the bottom of the shock adjusts the stiffness of the shock.

if yours are different (i don't know what rrd2's are) and you're talking about valving and how much nitrogen to charge them with, then that's not really a quickly adjustable shock... thats kind of one you just set and leave it.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Got it. Thanks for the pic. I thought RRD was what Rock Krawler called their shocks. I did not know it was that easy for those that have the dial.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the pic. I thought RRD was what Rock Krawler called their shocks. I did not know it was that easy for those that have the dial.
It is until a rock takes the plastic dial off lol.

Those rk shocks are slick

post #9 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I'll put in my two cents as a high performance shop owner- most people who get adjustables never adjust them after the initial set. Unless you're going to full coilovers, for 99.9% of people out there are better off spending less and getting a standard premium shock (I, for instance, run Bilstein 5100's on my JK). Spending more for adjustability which most users won't ever understand (the difference between compression and rebound, and how each affects ride and handling, for instance) is almost always a waste.
I hate to call it like this, but it's a case of "if you have to ask, you don't need it." Especially since the Rancho's have the compression and rebound tied together in one adjustment, which is a big compromise, and the Fox are $$$, just get the 5100's that Jeremy at RK recommends.

I garuantee (from experience) that they are a MUCH better shock, and no matter which way you adjust the Rancho's, they will never offer a better blend of ride comfort and handling- you can generally get one or the other, but not both. Sure, the Fox setup may be better, but unless you're doing high-speed desert runs, or competition crawling, they're simply too much money for too little gain- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #10 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I'll put in my two cents as a high performance shop owner- most people who get adjustables never adjust them after the initial set. Unless you're going to full coilovers, for 99.9% of people out there are better off spending less and getting a standard premium shock (I, for instance, run Bilstein 5100's on my JK). Spending more for adjustability which most users won't ever understand (the difference between compression and rebound, and how each affects ride and handling, for instance) is almost always a waste.
I hate to call it like this, but it's a case of "if you have to ask, you don't need it." Especially since the Rancho's have the compression and rebound tied together in one adjustment, which is a big compromise, and the Fox are $$$, just get the 5100's that Jeremy at RK recommends.

I garuantee (from experience) that they are a MUCH better shock, and no matter which way you adjust the Rancho's, they will never offer a better blend of ride comfort and handling- you can generally get one or the other, but not both. Sure, the Fox setup may be better, but unless you're doing high-speed desert runs, or competition crawling, they're simply too much money for too little gain- Mark W.
I don't disagree with you about the if you have to ask part. But the ranchos were all of 20 bucks more TOTAL for all 4 (not apiece) than the 5100s and they came with a free wireless my ride control. So I can set my ride on the fly if I want to, stiffen it for rocks, soften it for washboard sections, etc. So if anything with the free my ride the ranchos were significantly cheaper.

Price simply wasn't a factor. I do like the 5100s but wasn't sure what valving I wanted. I felt the aev valving was too soft and the 5150s that came with my buddies rustys kit was way too stiff. Since I didn't know what valving I wanted I compromised with the adjustable ranchos.

Il also agree that the bilsteins is a higher quality shock (and the rk even more so) but I've watched my buddies 5100s rust away, and he's blown 2 possibly 3 in 2 years...

I'm glad I went the way I did! But to do it all over I'd go with some hot rk shocks valved the way Jeremy recommends

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 06-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well I guess I can understand your point. However, the waste will never change. I have wasted. I am going to waste. Do I need everything I have... No. One can see that as waste. Lucky for me I learn when I get into things I don't know a whle lot about. In the beginning I didn't know a whole lot about computers. It wasn't until I had it in pieces that I fully understood how it worked. I proceed cautiously when veering into uncharted territory, but until I do I might not fully appreciate the complexity of a component.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Well I guess I can understand your point. However, the waste will never change. I have wasted. I am going to waste. Do I need everything I have... No. One can see that as waste. Lucky for me I learn when I get into things I don't know a whle lot about. In the beginning I didn't know a whole lot about computers. It wasn't until I had it in pieces that I fully understood how it worked. I proceed cautiously when veering into uncharted territory, but until I do I might not fully appreciate the complexity of a component.
don't worry man, you did good with the RK shocks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode