HELP!!!! ESP/BAS Trac ABS Lights on - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

HELP!!!! ESP/BAS Trac ABS Lights on

I was on a road trip from Scranton, PA to Bronx, NY to see some family over the weekend. And on the way back from NY I was changing lanes and all of a sudden my front right brake locks up and pulls to the right hard almost hit 2 cars. After that the ESP/BAS light Traction Low light on and ABS lights all stayed on. And now they wont go off. Now I read a tech release about how jeeps that have bigger tires and lifts will experience early ESP activation.

I have also read a lot of posts on this issue and all of them have said that jeep doesnt know what causes all these issues at the same time except for a bad sensor. However those people who do take their jeeps to the stealership have experienced extremely long wait times for repair. Anyone know what could be causing this or does it NEED to be brought to the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
...slightly sane.

i had a steering angle sensor go bad that caused right turns to freak out the ESP/BAS. however, it took it's sweet time going bad enough to pop an error code.

during the few months of sporadic problems with it, neither the dealer or myself could find anything off. we'd re-center a centered steering wheel and it would fix it temporarily. however, once the computer finally popped the DTC code, the dealership had it fixed a few hours after i dropped it off.

that was months ago, still running the same 35s and haven't had a single ESP/BAS problem (... that i didn't cause with pedal usage)

after your lift, did the steering wheel get centered?

all the lift and steering components were torqued down (and rechecked a couple hundred miles later) while the jeep was resting on it's own weight?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
i had a steering angle sensor go bad that caused right turns to freak out the ESP/BAS. however, it took it's sweet time going bad enough to pop an error code.

during the few months of sporadic problems with it, neither the dealer or myself could find anything off. we'd re-center a centered steering wheel and it would fix it temporarily. however, once the computer finally popped the DTC code, the dealership had it fixed a few hours after i dropped it off.

that was months ago, still running the same 35s and haven't had a single ESP/BAS problem (... that i didn't cause with pedal usage)

after your lift, did the steering wheel get centered?

all the lift and steering components were torqued down (and rechecked a couple hundred miles later) while the jeep was resting on it's own weight?
I bought the jeep used and the lift was installed before I got it. Its only a 2" BB. The vehicle just had an alignment about a month ago. Does the dealer have to center the steering wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
...slightly sane.

agree with venom below, steering off center should not cause a swerve event from the ESP/BAS kicking in. here is how to center anyway though.

assuming that you still have the factory drag link for steering:

no need for the dealer, is easier with someone to help by watching for the wheel to be centered.

1) is your wheel off-center? jeep logo is not flat when going straight?

2) if not centered, loosen the two bolts circled

3) twist the metal in between the bolts either up or down, note which way the steering wheel turned in the jeep (why it's easier to have a watcher)

4) adjust the steering wheel so the logo is flat

5) re-torque the drag link bolts.

really easy, and on the factory drag link you may have to do it every 2-3 wheeling trips depending on how rough you wheel.

|
|

Last edited by skivviss; 06-01-2011 at 02:59 PM.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

its probably your left front wheel speed sensor

good chance your left front unit bearing is shot too
the bearing goes, then coats the sensor in melted grease/metal powder and it cant see the sensor anymore
or the heat from the bad bearing will actually melt the sensor

the computer responds by nailing the right front brake

same thing happened to mine

you can recenter the steering wheel yourself in about 5 minutes but that doesnt sound like what you have going on

jack up the front wheels one side at a time, push in and out on the top pretty hard and see if there's slop
if there is, get ready to shell out $100 for a new unit bearing.
luckily it comes with the sensor installed

if theres no play, then you can pull and clean the sensors pretty easily - 1 5mm allen bolt holds it in.

YouTube - ‪IMG_0621.MOV‬‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.

Last edited by venom; 06-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
its probably your left front wheel speed sensor

good chance your left front unit bearing is shot too
the bearing goes, then coats the sensor in melted grease/metal powder and it cant see the sensor anymore
or the heat from the bad bearing will actually melt the sensor

the computer responds by nailing the right front brake

same thing happened to mine

you can recenter the steering wheel yourself in about 5 minutes but that doesnt sound like what you have going on

jack up the front wheels one side at a time, push in and out on the top pretty hard and see if there's slop
if there is, get ready to shell out $100 for a new unit bearing.
luckily it comes with the sensor installed

if theres no play, then you can pull and clean the sensors pretty easily - 1 5mm allen bolt holds it in.

YouTube - ‪IMG_0621.MOV‬‏
Ill take a look at it. Its pretty damn hot out today 94 with 100% humidity. How hard is that bearing to replace? Do I need to pull apart the whole left side of my axle? Im pretty new to jeeps. I had a WRX before this and the only traction control was me. So all these BS safety features sort of annoy me.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 03:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

nah, unit bearing is easy to replace
takes about 30 min maybe - pull the wheel, the brake caliper & bracket, the big axle nut, the rotor and then 3 bolts hold the bearing on

something pretty close to that going from memory - its easy

worst part is the plug for the wheel speed sensor line is behind the shock tower and a bitch to get apart

your wrx had abs too

Quote:
post #8 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Would it be the axle bearing that would need to be replaced basically. Like I said, I will check tomorrow and see if thats bad. If it is. Ill order the part and saturday take a road trip to my in-laws and do the bearing. If its not that my friend down stairs said it could be a faulty Dynamic vehicle sensor and a clock spring possible.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

clock spring shouldnt cause the brakes to respond

I had the exact same problem, my jeep kept hitting the right front brake on me and it ended up being the LF wheel bearing/sensor

Quote:
post #10 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
clock spring shouldnt cause the brakes to respond

I had the exact same problem, my jeep kept hitting the right front brake on me and it ended up being the LF wheel bearing/sensor
Is this the part I might need to change?
http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...HA590242-A.jpg
post #11 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

that be it

good luck finding the timken part tho
it was on national backorder when I tried to get it for mine, had to pay the extra $ and get mopar, which is the same thing

Quote:
post #12 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

here's what I went through trying to get one...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44882

Quote:
post #13 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
here's what I went through trying to get one...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44882
www.rockauto.com

I guess timken is a good name!!!!
post #14 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

watch rock auto if you try to get express shipping - they wanted like $70 for 2 day when I tried them

Quote:
post #15 of 29 Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Granite Guru

You've probably already done this but go around each wheel and check you sensor wires. When my Christmas tree was lighting up on the dash it was do to one of the front sensor wires getting pulled out of the bracket to do flexing and then it rubbed on the knuckles of the front shaft. I cut and spliced the wires and reconnected everything and the abs/ebs traction control light turned off after driving about 50 feet.

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #16 of 29 Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkus34 View Post
You've probably already done this but go around each wheel and check you sensor wires. When my Christmas tree was lighting up on the dash it was do to one of the front sensor wires getting pulled out of the bracket to do flexing and then it rubbed on the knuckles of the front shaft. I cut and spliced the wires and reconnected everything and the abs/ebs traction control light turned off after driving about 50 feet.
I will definitely look around. But this seems to be something a little different I actually dont flex the jeep, and this only happened once. But like I said the front right wheel locked up and pulled me pretty hard and when the lights arent one like the computer resets them when it does start to happen the ABS system activated seemingly random times and almost sounds like my brakes are grinding but its the ABS, but I will check all the ABS wires and see if I can find anything out of place.
post #17 of 29 Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like a bit of a different issue than what I had, though it's easy to give it a look over just to make sure. Hope you get it taken care of!

post #18 of 29 Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Was doing my own diagnostics today and noticed that every morning the ESP/BAS, TRAC LOW, and ABS lights go off. Then when I get above 45mph it seems to start with the ABS right front going crazy then the other lights come on. So I dont know if its the Vehicle Dynamic sensor or that unit bearing going. Looks like its gotta go to jeep
post #19 of 29 Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

And now a new added issue. Ive noticed the MPG of my jeep has dropped dramatically since all these issues started. I did some MPG calculations real world numbers. I drove 75 miles on 6.3 gallons. Which is 11.9 MPG Which would mean somethings really really wrong with my jeep. My jeep is hardly modified, 2"BB and 32" tires. So I shouldnt be getting that low of MPG.
post #20 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok new update in this issue.
I contact Jeep and they say they need to scan my ECU and see if a sensor is off or faulted. But they said after I went to them that there were no open faults. Now 2 weeks later, no problems, all of a sudden this morning, the issue happens again. 1 month exactly from when the issue first happened. Jeep still doesnt know whats wrong and still can NOT recreate the issue. Ive checked my left from unit bearing and there is no play in the bearing. Anyone know what else it can be!!!!!
post #21 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Granite Guru

ESP/bas errors often don't get listed as faults by the ecu - often it is easiest to go for a drive with a scanner to see if the readings look inconsistent.
- are all of the wheel speed readings the same?
- Do the steering angle and yaw sensor outputs look consistent?
- what is the steering angle when driving in a straight line?
post #22 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme4x4 View Post
And now a new added issue. Ive noticed the MPG of my jeep has dropped dramatically since all these issues started. I did some MPG calculations real world numbers. I drove 75 miles on 6.3 gallons. Which is 11.9 MPG Which would mean somethings really really wrong with my jeep. My jeep is hardly modified, 2"BB and 32" tires. So I shouldnt be getting that low of MPG.
if the abs is kicking in you could have slight brake drag which would account for your lower mpg's, getting your situation squared out would help it out, best of luck, it can be a bitch finding the cause!

post #23 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah man I know. I looked at some of the other causes of this issue and the wheel is centered so its not that. But I will have to bring my jeep down to my buddy with a better diagnostic handheld then the dealership has. This things been giving me a hard time for about a month now. And im about to install a lift this weekend. But yeah I think im getting a slight front right brake drag, seems like a lot more brake dust then the drivers side front.

PLEASE KEEP THE IDEAS COMING. If jeep couldnt figure it out theres a problem!!!
post #24 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just went through something very similar,bumps in the road on the LF wheel would trigger a an ABS/ESP response and the only thing I could do to get it to calm down would be to slow down to almost a stop my mpg sucked ass and i would also get random EPS/ABS activation randomly.I went back home this weekend and replaced the unit bearings from Napa SKF brand,poly ball joints and a set of ceramic brake pads.Three days before I left to go do the work I had a friend at a jeep dealer do all open re flashes to my heap the important ones being the trans temp re flash because it has a new shift schedule and logic as well and the re flash for bigger tire's and lift's that has new logic for BAS and the stability program.after all the flashes are done the tech will have to drive around the parking lot with the factory scan tool hooked up and recalibrate the G-sensor ( insert jokes here ). I can assure you if you have a jeep on bigger tires and a lift and you have not done these flashes go do them right now my jeep drives so much better now.no more false activation I now have much better mpg and shifts really good. i know there are a shit ton of mistakes so what evaaahhhh. This is just my two cents.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #25 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
I just went through something very similar,bumps in the road on the LF wheel would trigger a an ABS/ESP response and the only thing I could do to get it to calm down would be to slow down to almost a stop my mpg sucked ass and i would also get random EPS/ABS activation randomly.I went back home this weekend and replaced the unit bearings from Napa SKF brand,poly ball joints and a set of ceramic brake pads.Three days before I left to go do the work I had a friend at a jeep dealer do all open re flashes to my heap the important ones being the trans temp re flash because it has a new shift schedule and logic as well and the re flash for bigger tire's and lift's that has new logic for BAS and the stability program.after all the flashes are done the tech will have to drive around the parking lot with the factory scan tool hooked up and recalibrate the G-sensor ( insert jokes here ). I can assure you if you have a jeep on bigger tires and a lift and you have not done these flashes go do them right now my jeep drives so much better now.no more false activation I now have much better mpg and shifts really good. i know there are a shit ton of mistakes so what evaaahhhh. This is just my two cents.
You know my jeep is more along the smaller jeeps ive seen. Only a 2" BB and 32" tires. I might have to bring my jeep to the dealer again once I get my 3.5" lift installed. Although I will need to have my buddy Ricky go for a ride with me and see if he can see on his diagun those codes pop and if he can fix it then it will cost me $25. But if not ill have to suck it up and go to my local dealer and have them fix the issues. The more I read your post the more I think I have the same shit going on. Im only getting 10.9mpg highway and thats really off plus as I stated in the above post a lot more brake dust on the right front then the left front. Although from what i read above my unit bearing seems to be in good shape!!!! But its hard to tell!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode