Additional external axle tube seals - Rubicon 44 - Which brand? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Additional external axle tube seals - Rubicon 44 - Which brand?

I'm looking at 4wheelpart's site and I see a few different variations of external axle tube seals. I'm looking to keep the crap out of my axles to help prolong my inner seals because they are a biatch to do.

Which brand do you prefer, and any particular reason?

There is Superior for $85

Midwest for $63

Alloy for $74

So we have a cheapest, middle, and most expensive (talking a whole $20 difference..but more $$ isn't always the best!). Which should I consider?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run the superior ones and other than needing to replace the outermost seal they seem to be working fine
post #3 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

How long did your outer seal last you?

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

over 2 years and i have only greaesd themn once lol
post #5 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I figure they'd just be something to mess with while the oil is draining. How much is the replacement seal?

post #6 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I figure they'd just be something to mess with while the oil is draining. How much is the replacement seal?
honestly I havent checked. they actually have 2 seals on the outer portion so i havent even bothered with it, I stay far away from mud and water so im not even sure why i bought them
post #7 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Granite Guru

Do all these work with the inner axle sleeves?
post #8 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
Do all these work with the inner axle sleeves?
I don't think that any would actually. Since they come up to the end of the axle tube where these would tap in tight against the stock tube only.

I'd imagine you would need to get the new inside diameter of your axle and find one that fits that diameter tube. Though the clearances may get tight with the external seal "holder" and the axle.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Slow and Low

These things are a bad idea. If you do a water crossing, you WILL get water in the tubes, especially when steering under water.
Then it will only drain out part way and you'll have a tube with sitting water in the bottom of it.
AND... if you ever do have a leaky inner axle seal, you may not know about it till you have a tube full of oil and your gears are toast.
Not a fan. But that's just my .02.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
AND... if you ever do have a leaky inner axle seal, you may not know about it till you have a tube full of oil and your gears are toast.
Not a fan. But that's just my .02.
Someone mentioned that on another board and I have to agree that they are a bad idea. I really would rather know if that inner is leaking immediately, hate to starve the diff.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Granite Guru

get the seals,and ARBs covers so you can check your diff fluid weekly like I do! that dipstick is magic,I love my ARBs,and love my superior seals.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rubicon View Post
get the seals,and ARBs covers so you can check your diff fluid weekly like I do! that dipstick is magic,I love my ARBs,and love my superior seals.
Agreed on the ARBs the dipstick is nice and easy to get to. but in all honesty I wouldnt buy them again
post #13 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Once a week? I hardly do anything once a week, too much maintenance for me. Rather just fix the shit when it breaks. I'll keep my Riddlers!

post #14 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

i have the superiors but haven't installed them yet - tried to test fit them once while i was doing my ball joints but it didn't appear that they slid into the d44 easily so i just pushed them to the side and finished up what i was doing.

how did everyone install them on their d44's? i imagine a piece of wood and a mallet with some elbow grease would work but didn't want to ruin them.

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
post #15 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Once a week? I hardly do anything once a week, too much maintenance for me.
Once a week may not be often enough anyway. Let's say an inner seal goes bad on a wheeling trip, diff loses some fluid, you drive through water, water gets inside tubes, water gets in diff, then you drive 200 miles to go home.

I see the attraction of running outer seals, but they can cause more problems sometimes. The silly little plastic factory dust covers will keep most of the crud out the tubes and still let water drain and let you know when you have a leaking inner seal.

Like most things if properly maintained and checked they are not likely to cause issues, but they can.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by offinthewoods View Post
i imagine a piece of wood and a mallet with some elbow grease would work but didn't want to ruin them.
yup. put some grease on it to help ease it in. wood block and rubber mallet.

---edit---

something just doesnt sound right about that.....LOL
post #17 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i was thinking about thses as i ruined a inner seal in some mud on my old 2 door, but im not sure about not knowing if i do get a leak.

i know ill fill the axle tube up with oil, then the diff oil cant get out!!!!!!!!
im a genuis

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode