Need some advice on parts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Need some advice on parts

I've got an 08 4dr Sahara, 3" full traction ultimate on 35s. I wobble a lot on certain bumps.

So I've read the DW checklist but I haven't had time to go any farther than removing the SS, which was completely trashed...

I'm going to assume that everything on the front end is trashed from the DW, in which case can someone throw together a list of everything that I need to replace as well as upgrades to beef it up? My plan is to drive as little as possible over the next few weeks and replace everything that I may have damaged. Get another (4th or 5th?) alignment and hopefully not have to crash the Jeep into a tree for the insurance money and start again.

I'd really appreciate it, I search the threads and look at the parts, but it always seems there's something else to get.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhagerman View Post
I've got an 08 4dr Sahara, 3" full traction ultimate on 35s. I wobble a lot on certain bumps.

So I've read the DW checklist but I haven't had time to go any farther than removing the SS, which was completely trashed...

I'm going to assume that everything on the front end is trashed from the DW, in which case can someone throw together a list of everything that I need to replace as well as upgrades to beef it up? My plan is to drive as little as possible over the next few weeks and replace everything that I may have damaged. Get another (4th or 5th?) alignment and hopefully not have to crash the Jeep into a tree for the insurance money and start again.

I'd really appreciate it, I search the threads and look at the parts, but it always seems there's something else to get.

Thanks
ouch.

steering stabilzer, checked, good.

front trackbar mount. check for any play in that.

check your ball joints. with 35's ball joints tend to go bad around 30K mileage and will be the culprit.

id check all your control arms, tie rod, draglink. all the places where the bolts can wiggle around causing them to hollow out the holes.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Rock God

You might save time by just buying a take-off front axle with the same gearing as yours or use the opportunity to regear your rear if you can find a take off with 4.88s or 5.13s already installed.

Otherwise, you are likely looking at:

Poly Performance ball joints
Unit bearings (Timken's are priced well at rockauto.com)
Welding washers or new trackbar axle and frame side brackets.
Front upper control arm bushings that are found in the axle housing

Then, separate from the axle:

Trackbar (at least the bushings, if not a replacement)
Drag link (at least the ends, if not a replacement)
Tie rod ends...or a new replacement tie rod
New tires if yours are feathered or cupped from poor wear.
Steering box if yours is shot or the sector shaft is damaged.
Front control arm bushings.
Steering stabilizer.

If you are patient, you can find a stock take-off Dana 30 for around $300-$400 from hub to hub.

Or, you can find a regeared 30 or 44 from someone upgrading to a 60 for around $1500-$2500 depending on whether it has a locker and chromoly shafts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Awesome, thank you.

So my list (going from the PP site)

Front TB relocation bracket
Front TB brace
Front TB
High steer draglink
Chromoly tie rod

I'm planning on swapping all the F/T parts off, once I can manage it without getting divorced. So the control arms and springs will come off at some point too. Hopefully I can swap all of these parts around and get back to driving.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just wanted to follow up on this thread.

So in the end my DW is fixed and the Jeep handles amazing. I really can't ever remember it driving this good, the steering is tight and I don't feel like I'm going to fly off the road.

Big shout out to High Country 4x4 here in Denver. The best quote from them "You have the worst bump steer of any Jeep we have ever seen". Take your vehicle to them and they won't jack you around on parts/labour. It takes a while to get in, but that's just an indication of how good they are.

I started by putting on the PP track bar bracket on the axle end. The bolt hole was a bit wallowed, but not too bad.

Then swapped off the FT track bar for a TF track bar

Replaced the FT 3" springs for ProComp 4", it's a bit more lift and they are a lot more stiff, which I seem to like.

Replaced the FT front lower control arms with TF front lowers. The FT weren't in bad shape, but I hate FT.

After all of that was done, took it to High Country.

After they were done laughing:

They put on the TF flip drag-link and bright orange steering knuckles.

With all of that done, I'm pretty happy.

My only issue now is the noise. I still have a lot of squeaking and some clunking going over bumps. It really does sound like a dump truck. All I've got left on the front are the upper CA and I assume that's where the noise is coming from since the back has a similar noise and it's all FT back there.

So based on that assumption I'll be getting the rest of the TF control arms and replacing them. I also have the TF track bar bracket for the rear, which I'll put on, and I'll also likely swap the FT track bar off of the rear as well.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I think by the time I'm done I will probably have broken about even compared to just replacing the lift, but as the service guy said, you can keep throwing money at replacing parts or we can just fix it right.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Rock God

So, are the FT bushings the old polyurethane style instead of the new, Clevite rubber bushings?

Good news on the tight steering.

The clunking is often a bad bushing or bolt that needs retorqued.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

post #7 of 17 Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Granite Guru

i had some clunking too and my bushings in the rear were shot in my old full traction arms.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
i had some clunking too and my bushings in the rear were shot in my old full traction arms.
I had some clunking going over bumps that I tried to figure out for about 2 weeks. Finally took the D-rings off my rear bumper and clunking was gone
post #9 of 17 Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I had some clunking going over bumps that I tried to figure out for about 2 weeks. Finally took the D-rings off my rear bumper and clunking was gone

Lol awesome. I actually did that too while checking for the clunk.

Yeah they're the old bushings but I'm not going to bother replacing them. I've had the arms off and the bushing out. they aren't split and seem to hold grease pretty well. But I have so little faith in FT and figure I'd be changing bushings every 500 miles once I start. I've already started on the TF road as replacement parts, so that's where I'm going to keep going.

So I'll just start at the front and work my way back as money allows.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Granite Guru

heres the list:
new Jeep
new house
new boat
new dog
new girlfriend

if that doesnt fix your death wobble go fishing for 3-4 hours.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I didn't want to start a new thread so here it goes , I have a 4" lift and I just upgraded from 35/12.50/20 to 37/13.50/20 , since I put them on when ever I hit a pothole or bump my front end wobbles bad for second I also notice if I hit a bump with the driver side tire is doesn't do it only the passenger wheel the most I rebalanced the front tires but it's still there but not as bad
post #12 of 17 Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Granite Guru

What upgrades have you done to your steering? I had the same thing before i did a poly flipped drag link, axle side track bar relocation bracket and new tie rod. The tie rod isn't really a must unless yours is worn but its good to go on ahead and do it while everything else is apart. My guess is your track bar and drag link are not parallel.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
What upgrades have you done to your steering? I had the same thing before i did a poly flipped drag link, axle side track bar relocation bracket and new tie rod. The tie rod isn't really a must unless yours is worn but its good to go on ahead and do it while everything else is apart. My guess is your track bar and drag link are not parallel.
None as right now but I am getting a tie rod , right at the adjustment side I think there is to much play my track bar and my drag link are parallel I made sure last night
post #14 of 17 Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Granite Guru

What kind of relocation are you using for your trackbar? With 4 inches of lift you need something.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Wheeler

Hey guys. I am piling on here but i have the same issues on my 08 JKU. I lifted it with a Rusty's 3.25, and ended up netting 4.25" of lift. I ended up taking it to a local 4x4 shop. They sold me and installed a new TF adjustable track bar, and TF adjustable lower CA's. My driveability increased considerably but has recently been getting worse and worse. I am considering removing my lift all together and picking up a set of rubi springs and shocks. Am I over reacting?

AIM HIGH
post #16 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
Am I over reacting?
Yes. Read through this before you start removing parts. It is extremely helpful in all things wobble-related:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723
post #17 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Wheeler

Synergy ball joints solved my death wobble. Less than 24K miles on my '07 and the stock ball joints were beyond bad. I was getting death wobble accelerating, decelerating, going around curves, thinking about lunch, etc. I have the OME HD lift kit installed.

Everything else was okay though. Except the stock track bar bracket. It went in favor of the TF weld on bracket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode