License Plate Relocation bracket - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
License Plate Relocation bracket

Due to unspecified reasons, I was unable to procure a license plate relocation bracket in time for the TeraFlex All Jeep Show this upcoming Saturday (6/4/11). So I decided to take on the challenge of building one.

Of all of the ones I have seen (not many really), the one that stood out most was HD Customs (HD Customs License Plate Relocation Bracket w/LED and Camera Mount). I loved that they were utilizing the factory illiumination light so I kept with that as well. I used their's as a visual template of how I wanted mine to look.

I was able to obtain some 10 gauge (.1345") sheet for the mounts and some tube, 1.25" square and 1" square. I didn't pay attention to the specific thickness of the tube, I just got the 1.25" tube as thick as possible that still allowed for the 1" tube to slide in and out freely. And the 1" tube in about the same thickness if not the same.

I spent a few minutes drawing up the plates in AutoCad and then printed out some full size templates that a friend (y-jake on RME)was gonna cut out by hand with his plasma cutter. His exact words were, "As long as you don't mind grinding, I'll cut it out. And there will be plenty."

So that prompted me to do a little further digging and ended up hooking up with Carl (some of you may have met or talked to him since he used to work for TeraFlex). Anyways, turns out he has his own CNC table up and running. So I created dxf files out of the Acad files and emailed them over to him. Dropped by a little while later with the 10 gauge sheet and cut out the pieces:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aLdcgiePDU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is the link if that embed did not work:

http://youtu.be/aLdcgiePDU0

Oh, and Carl has a press brake so he bent them for me as well. Thanks Carl.

Took the pieces back over to y-jake's place and we proceeded to weld on the tubes and do any clean up that may have been needed which wasn't much. That CNC cuts really nice and clean. I wasn't able to find a cool little LED lite like HD Customs has but picked up a genereic LED clearance light that should work fine. Its not yet complete but here is where I am at:

I plan to hide as much of the wiring as possible in the swing out tire carrier and into the tubes of the bracket itself. Once I get it all wired up, final holes drilled and a setting screw in place I will paint it plack and mount it up.

If any of y'all have any hints, suggestions or comments please feel free to post them. Thanks for looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scrogg; 06-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dang. Nice work!

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Looks sweet. Have anymore DIY in the near future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Dang. Nice work!
Thanks. Carl and y-jake have really done most of the physical work so far (cutting & welding) but I am very happy with how its turning out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
Looks sweet. Have anymore DIY in the near future?
Now that I know where I can have stuff cut out on CNC table for a small fee, I'm sure I will. Just depends on the need or want at the time I guess.

post #5 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg View Post
Thanks Carl.
You're welcome! Glad it worked out for ya.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Whoah, there's Carl now.

I picked up my fascia plug today and installed it. Had to do a little tapping on the metal were is was pulled outward when the factory llicense plate holder was ripped off. The plug cleans up the corner real nice and I figured that was as good a place as any to put a "U4WDA" sticker (Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association). That only took a couple minutes total so I decided to get started on the wiring.

Spent the next several hours playing with the wiring. I pulled the plug out of the swing gate for the third brake light and cut it off. Then proceeded to unravel the two corresponding wires all the way back to where the tail light wires branch off of the harness and go through the back corner of the tub. I then fed them through the rubber grommet with the tail light wires.

Then on the otherside, I cut the license illuminator wiring midway between the bulb and the clip. Spliced some new wire onto the clip end and then wrapped with some wire loom. Plugged the clip back in and routed the wiring down and along the underside back edge of the tub over to the passenger side.

That's as far as I got tonight. I decided that I'm gonna punch it through the bumper near where it's gonna enter into the swing out tire carrier. Since it was well past midnight at this point and I am going to have pull off the tire carrier to drill the holes I decided to call it a night. I should be able to get the holes drilled and finish running the wiring tomorrow night. I'll also post some pics of the progress.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I only got to work on this for a couple of hours tonight. So I finished up any and all drilling that needed to be done. Didn't mess with running any of the wiring but I think I've got that figured out. I did test fit it all together, here are a few pics:

In this pic you can see that the light protrudes only about 1.5" outward from the tire sidewall.

All that I have left now is to paint it and finish out the wiring.

Last edited by scrogg; 04-13-2014 at 06:40 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Granite Guru

Looks good! Sorry I couldn't get one to you by deadline! Nice work though!

-HDC

The Worlds most ADVANCED JK Bumpers ever designed

Visit our new website

Become an HD Customs
fan!!
post #9 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg View Post
Thanks. Carl and y-jake have really done most of the physical work so far (cutting & welding) but I am very happy with how its turning out.

Now that I know where I can have stuff cut out on CNC table for a small fee, I'm sure I will. Just depends on the need or want at the time I guess.
Taking requests?
post #10 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
Taking requests?
Hmm, I'd have to think about that. Let me get this one finished and then if ya still want one we can discuss it then.

Back to the build. I had some black paint kicking around that I used but it's kind of a flat black and I'm not to happy with it but it'll do for now. When I get more time I'll use some sort of bedliner spray to finish it.

After doing a coat of paint I pursued getting the wiring fished through the tire carrier. Man, what a PITA that was. I'm glad I did it but it was a very time consuming tedious process. I brought the wiring up through the bumper near the pivoting point of the tire carrier and then put it into the carrier near there as well.

Brought the wiring out the bottom side of the bracket just before the setting screw.

I put the plate part of the bracket on to check it for squareness. It looked great so I threw the bullet level on it and it was almost perfect.

Now I just need to button up the connector and clean up the wiring from it to the lights themselves and it'll be complete.

Last edited by scrogg; 06-03-2011 at 04:36 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Whew, it's been a busy week trying to get everything buttoned up and ready for the TeraFlex All Jeep Show today. I even took friday off to try and get everything in place and still didnt get it all done. But I did finish this up yesterday afternoon just haven't had a chance to post up yet so here it is.

Finished up and in place:

I used a 4 pin trailer plug for the wirimg connection:

And finally, the end result:

I am very happy with the end result. I know it's just a license plate bracket, and it's no where near the complexity of alot of the things you see on this site but i wanna thank any of those who may have stayed tuned.

Enjoy.

Last edited by scrogg; 06-04-2011 at 09:58 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Rock God

Nice! Lets see some more of those removable fenders also.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 PM

I stayed tuned.

It looks great! Now that it's done, nobody will suspect you didn't just buy one.

Carl
post #14 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Granite Guru

Yes I'd like to see some more of those fenders, and I was curious about your Hi LIft mount setup too!

WRANGLER RUBICON
post #15 of 15 Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The fenders are made by TrailMods. I Purchased them through chris at jeep add ons (jeepaddons-chris screen name here) who is a vendor here on the site. I really like them and plan to put some more pics up on his thread concerning them. Here is the link:

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49058

My high lift mount info can be found here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...ounted-454186/

I am going on four years now with it in place and I have been pleased with it's overall location. It has had many benefits over cons to date. I will admit though that I do eventually plan to get the woods mount that puts it up to the top roll bar location but only because I plan to get a basket in the rear. So it will remain as is until then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode