my moab build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
my moab build

so ive decided to set a goal, take the jeep to moab for my college graduation, this gives me 4 years to get it all ready,this will most likely be slow moving.

axles:
teraflex sleeve and gusset kit
electronic or air locker up front and a mechanical in the rear.
5 13 gears will be perfect for 35s and good for 37s if i make that jump.

Wheels and tires:
35" mt's on stock 17s maybe a set of beadlocks

suspension:
rock krawler 3.5 x factor long arm
bilsteins or rrd shocks

armor:
bar added to rubicon rails
poison spyder rocker armor
full rear crusher corners, psc or rror,
front quarterpanel armor,custom.
flares-psc or custom
rockhard or river raider skid system
roll cage. either a poly performance kit or custom.

Bumpers:
front. something minmal but with good protection. dont want to cut the frame rails. grill hoop and stinger for sure
rear. same deal i havent decided on what i want to do there either,

accesories:
marathon seat covers ordering in a few weeks
an air system
tube doors
bikini top

other:
axle shafts(brand tbd)
tatton drive shafts (f&r)

anything i might be missing?

my jeep so far:
teraflex bb
33s
rubi rails
aev snorkle
rampage front bumper
spal fan
xrc 8 winch
cb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 05-31-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Rock God

sounds awesome to me!!!! nice list man!!!!

JK ready for the build but the pockets aint
post #3 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I could never build a jeep on my college schedule. My goal was to graduate in 4 years and that didn't happen.

Too much beer and girls and not enough school.

Going to Moab sounds good, I got a free trip to Iraq!

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 PM
JKO Addict!

No disrespect, but a 4 YEAR build? You will likely change your mind on things about 50 times between now and then.

Don't be so worried about making a list. Just build it as money allows. You could do Moab now and still have a great time.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #5 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ill be home for two years of my college so all i have to pay for is my jeep.
im sure i could go to moab now and have fun. but i dont have the money to.
i hope it doesnt take me 4 years to get it there lol. it just gives me that long too lol.
im basically wanting make it where i can flop the jeep without it hurting it.

post #6 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 11:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
ill be home for two years of my college so all i have to pay for is my jeep.
im sure i could go to moab now and have fun. but i dont have the money to.
i hope it doesnt take me 4 years to get it there lol. it just gives me that long too lol.
Well you're going to want to get a full custom cage that ties into the frame then...thats gonna cost some $$$

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #7 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
Well you're going to want to get a full custom cage that ties into the frame then...thats gonna cost some $$$
Hate to say it....but yea. I agree.

Corey- If you really think you're going to be able to keep the JK for a long time to come....than I would seriously think about saving back some funds for a better cage. Even just a trail cage like Rockhard.....to add onto the OEM bars. I would do that regardless of Moab. Hell.....you're young, you will have passengers at times, etc. Just a hwy roll-over can cause the OEM cage to cave. I know you know all this......just sayin', man. Protect yourself soon if you are gonna keep it.

Like oz97tj said- you're gonna change your mind a Brazilian x. Just think also.....how much new stuff will hit the scene in the next 4 yrs.

I like the list- but I thought you already did something w/ the f or r bumper (?). Maybe it was somethin else- dunno. Unless you are going to plan to move to Utah or Colo or somethin, than I sure don't think you need BL's anytime soon. Even aired down in the sand/ mud, I don't imagine you're going down to 5-6 psi......dunno. I just think for a lot of commuting/ dd, that you could spend money elsewhere.

If you hook up with your Espanol teacher, then ask her to buy ya' all these Jeep mods. Teachers get paid big bux to put up with y'all's crap. jk

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Lucky for him PSC should have their new full cage to market soon..

Great list Corey. Though you may change your mind on the specifics, having the list still helps keep you focused and provides a "big picture" of what you want. This way you can pick and choose as the $$$ comes available.

Just try to pick your mods carefully so that you are not back tracking. I always like to start with the mechanics first when possible as they can often keep you out of trouble, thus requiring you to start on the cosmetic stuff.

Unless you are Hitmoney and just have a favorite spot you like to rub up against ......Sorry D, I can't resist.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 05-31-2011 at 05:39 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post

There is a thick line between a nice rig that goes off road, or a trail/beat to shit rig. Be sure you want to cross that with a $25,000+ rig

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Slow and Low

I say put on that hockey helmet they make you wear and head straight for Moab!

Kidding, but really, nice list and all, but a Moab experience could be had for very little money. Don't wait 4+ years for it!
Bring a tent, some tools, and a mountain bike, and you're good-to-go. Take the easy trails, enjoy the scenery, ride the Slick Rock Bike Trail, Hike the Arches, eat at the cheaper places, etc...
Trust me, that would be an epic life experience you would not regret.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

X2 on the full cage.

watch some Moab video on YouTube...I've seen some flops in areas that you would not expect.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I say put on that hockey helmet they make you wear and head straight for Moab!

Kidding, but really, nice list and all, but a Moab experience could be had for very little money. Don't wait 4+ years for it!
Bring a tent, some tools, and a mountain bike, and you're good-to-go. Take the easy trails, enjoy the scenery, ride the Slick Rock Bike Trail, Hike the Arches, eat at the cheaper places, etc...
x2...it's a drive but if you save up and plan for it (maybe use some graduation $), it's something you could do sooner than 4 years from now.

ΣX

post #13 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
There is a thick line between a nice rig that goes off road, or a trail/beat to shit rig. Be sure you want to cross that with a $25,000+ rig
This is one of the best lines I've read on this site yet. I went from trail riding and wanting things I though were helpful to smashing bumpers, skid plates and damaging my Jeep to the point where "it dont matter anymore" in the course of a few weeks. I'm now having my buddy build a bumper for me around a winch because I put my current bumper into my grille. I also got the RR skid system and will be doing the complete RK steering upgrade in the next few weeks as well. The things I though were important arent, you need to be able to take abuse and not easily break things. If you want to really wheel hard your gonna have alot of growing pains and some of them cost alot of money. Do yourself a favor and stay away form some of the cheaper mass produced after market parts for your JK, you will be glad you did.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

didn't see axle shafts listed in there anywhere...

may wanna think about driveshafts too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

made a section called other

put that in the list. might just get spare shafts and hope for the best.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I actually agree with Co4Lo on this. My first visit to Moab was with a 3" lifted TJ Sport on 33's (no other significant mods) and simply because I hooked up with a great group of people and had a great spotter, I had a great time for a whole week that I was there with little to no trouble.

It wasn't until they told me that I couldn't go the last day on Pritchett Canyon because I didn't have lockers, that my rig's set-up came into question as far as being capable. Back then I had a little more disposable income, so I made a "little" fix and still think that was the best 5k I spent to make the trail ride by 9am.

/

post #17 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

who knows what parts will be out in the next 4 years. look how far the aftermarket has come since 07. 4 more years...going to be some cool stuff out there. no 2 dr ps corners though
post #18 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
who knows what parts will be out in the next 4 years. look how far the aftermarket has come since 07. 4 more years...going to be some cool stuff out there. no 2 dr ps corners though
No shit. I'm 1 month from giving up on owning a set. After July I'll go another route.

ΣX

post #19 of 19 Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I say blow off school and the jeep build. If I were you I'd get a used moror home and a monkey. Then drive all around the country drinking lots of beer.

You list is a good baseline. One project at a time, that's how I'm doing it.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode