Rokmen Lower CAs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rokmen Lower CAs

Just received and installed my front and rear lower adjustable control arms from Rokmen. I’ve been a customer of Dave’s since the early days of Rokmen and his stuff keeps getting better and better. Had his front upper and lower CAs on my TJ so it was only natural for me to wait until he had his Control Arms ready to go for the JK. Well…here they are:

Front lowers pre-installation – Johnny Joints at the axle and frame, beautifully double TIG welded and powder coated…

Shot of fronts post installation…

Rears post installation (can’t see very well and didn’t take a pre-installation shot…sorry)…

What a difference in handling. After my OME lift installation (yielding 3-1/4" of lift, with Currie front adjustable trac bar, rear relocation trac bar bracket and JKS quick discos up front) she was jerking all over the place. I’m amazed at the difference a little caster makes. I’m now running approximately (I say approximately because I’m using one of those POS angle finders from Lowes) 4.5-degrees on the passenger’s side and 6.5 on the driver’s side. Now she handles like a dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Rock God

-How is the price comparison on these vs. Currie? They look almost identical.

-Why the 2 degree caster difference?

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #3 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
-How is the price comparison on these vs. Currie? They look almost identical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Rock God

Those look like Currie arms to me.

I went to the Rokmen sight, and I didn't see Rokmen arms for a JK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sorry for the delayed response.

Price is about the same as Currie. Contact the Rokmen team for specifics.

The difference? Rokmen uses thicker tubing, dual pass TIG welds on the bungs (amazing quality), lifetime warrantee and second-to-none customer service.

Like I said, I've been buying from Dave (Rokmen owner) for over 12-years now. He's been making TJ components (bumpers, sliders, corners, skids, CAs, etc.) for more than that. I'm excited that he's now into JKs.

Planman - these are brand new. So new that he doesn't have them on his site yet. I think I'm the first to get 'em.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post

Oh...forgot about this. From what I understand, the factory does this intentionally to compensate for road crown. Now...is it 2-degrees? Maybe, maybe not. I'm using a cheap-o angle finder from Lowes. I'll know for sure the next time I decide to get an alignment. However, the difference in handling is night hand day.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice setup, what uppers are you running? Is Rokmen finally getting into the JK market?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Nice setup, what uppers are you running? Is Rokmen finally getting into the JK market?
You really don't need front uppers until you are at or above a 4" lift.

Check the link in my signature for an explanation of adjustable control arm purposes on a shorter lift.

He only bought front and rear lowers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by planman; 05-30-2011 at 03:54 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Yes, he is. E-mailed Dave and he said the lowers will be on the Rokmen site later this week.

I'm running stock uppers at the moment. Rokmen plans to have those available soon as well. However, I may wait to get the uppers. Now that I've extended the rear, my thrust angle is pushing the limit (about 14-degrees). No vibes at the moment, but I'd like to get a Tom Woods double cardan rear shaft anyway.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
You really don't need front uppers until you are at or above a 4" lift.

Check the link in my signature for an explanation of adjustable control arm purposes on a shorter lift.

He only bought front and rear lowers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
By no uppers, you mean no adj uppers, right? I read it as no upper arms necessary. I'm curious to know if having johnny joints at both ends is a better option than having a flex joint at the frame and a rubber bushing at the axle? Which is what I have. Also, what would be less prone to binding, a flex joint or a heim joint? If that makes sense.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Follow-up...Rokmen now has their JK Adjustable CAs on the web site with pricing - Adjustable Lowers AND Uppers!
post #12 of 14 Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Now that I've extended the rear, my thrust angle is pushing the limit (about 14-degrees).

You'd be going down the road sideways if your thrust angle was 14!

Your Adventure and Off Road Outfitter since 2004.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrain View Post
You'd be going down the road sideways if your thrust angle was 14!
Maybe my terminology is incorrect? Measurement at the shaft is 17.5-degrees. At the differential flange it's 3.5-degrees. Net 14-degrees.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Rock God

Thrust angle is left/right wheel misalignment of an axle. ie, left or right wheel of an axle is forward or back by a certain distance, resulting in the thrust line of the rear axle pointing to the left or right, making you have to steer left or right to go in a straight line. The vehicle 'crabs' sideways slightly going down the road.

At 14 degrees thrust angle, you would be facing that angle to the left (or right?), as you went straight along the road.

I think you are talking about the driveshaft angles & the up angle of the diff. From memory this is the pinion angle, (the upward angle of the pinion gear in the diff). And you don't want it too high, or the diff oil cannot properly lubricate the bearings & seals there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode