.:eMETAL:. and the curse of the law rebuild. The BEAST reborn! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.
.:eMETAL:. and the curse of the law rebuild. The BEAST reborn!

So as many know, I moved back to Maine after 9 years in Florida. We'll the state of Maine like most Northeast or Eastern States has inspection laws and where the root of this rebuild starts.

Fender coverage is a huge deal up here... and well let's face it, this isn't going to slide....

Current setup:
Teraflex 6" longarm LCG suspension
37x13.5R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers
1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers
Off Road Evolution Outlaw fenders and EVO armor

So I purchased a nice little winter beater and put the beast up in storage because I just didn't have the funds this past fall to get everything together and well I honestly wasn't ready to put the rig through it's first season of liquid calcium that they spray all over the roads and rust everything out.

Then my research began...

-Maine says that fenders must cover full tire tread (looks like a little sidewall bulkiness is A.O.K)
-Maine says you must not exceed 2 inches above Manufacturers specifications (hmmmmm we'll come back to this one, there's ton's of big tires running around here... gotta do some investigating)
-Maine has a maximum frame height per GWR 4,501 to 7,500 lbs Front 27" (check) and Rear 29" (hmmmmmight need a tire carrier to help drop an inch or so)

My rebuild research now starts... (THE ORIGINAL PLAN)
Overall I need to shrink the rig in a bit.
-Fenders to be cut from armor and widened to accommodate inspection specifications but first...
-Remove spacers to cut a few inches off the width (will check wheel clearance when wheels are installed, shouldn't be a problem from my research)
-New tires to be ordered (Nittos worn way down anyways), this time around run a 12.5" wide tire to save a few width inches. Spoke with a local club/jeep shop and also state inspection shop, and they state as long as gap between top of tire and bottom of fender is reasonable it will pass. They run up to 38s and 39s on a lot of their rigs without problems. They have seen my JK and said that I'm ok to order 37s again.... soooooooo Pitbull Rockers 37x12.5R17. Thanks Hoyt4x4 of St. Petersburg Florida

Found a local metal fab shop that is interested in working on my fenders and armor said they'll do the tires as well and inspection since his brother is going to start doing inspections in one of the bay as well as some mechanic work. Shop foreman seems up front and excited to work on the Jeep. I take the beast out of storage and get it to the shop about 4 weeks ago. The plan is to sandblast all armor and fenders, cut the fenders from the armor, make extensions along with inner tubes for strength, tack them up for my inspection, make adjustments where needed and then burn them on and prime them (I will paint them with rustoleum textured). Then we will reinstall.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pitbull Tires arrive! 5/18/2011 Thanks again Tony with Hoyt4x4

takes shop a week to finally get them put on... because their machine won't do a tire this big.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

let the drama begin....

5/11/2011 Wednesday
Shop has now had my JK for 3 weeks and all they've done is take it to another shop to have tires put on it. I stop by to see fender progress and am told that he will have 2 for me to view on Friday 5/13/2011.

5/13/2011 I show up and NOTHING IS DONE am told that he fired some guys and blah blah blah... bullshit! Come back on Saturday 5/14/2011 and the promised 2 will be done.

5/14/2011 Friday
I show up and he had left 2 hours ago for the weekend (BEYOND PISSED!)

5/15/2011 Monday
I show up to see progress after my work shift as I called prior to going and he said 2 were ready. Show up 1 is ready and it's full welded on ... WTF??? and it looks like garbage!! (too heated to take a picture) He said he still had a lot of cleaning up to do on them and promised all 4 to be done by the next day 5/16/2011 by 12noon.

So I head home, disappointed and start looking into my rebuild plans. I'm not liking where this is going... it's been 3 weeks and all that is produced is crap and a runaround story. What's this?.... TrailMods has released their new removeable fenders that are 3" wider than stock to accommodate fender laws? YES! So I get ahold of Chris with Jeep Add Ons and an hour later I have an UNBELIEVABLE AWESOME quote!! I let it sink in for the evening and work out a new plan.

-Now to shop cut off the fenders completely from the armor and clean them up for me to take. Order TrailMods fenders and cut the ORE armor to now be armor skins. (all to be done by myself)

5/17/2011 Tuesday
-Order TrailMods fenders at 9am (Jeep Add Ons sales reps are great to deal with )
-Head over to shop and they have 3 out of the 4 fenders done (looking like shit, and fully welded on). I tell them of my new plan and he wasn't happy but accommodated my request. He was suppose to tack on the fenders and we would then make adjustments if needed, they weren't sandblasted and I didn't see any grin marks so this leads me to believe they welded through the old powdercoat. Told him that he wasn't sticking to his original plan of the build and that I had to take this new route because I NEED MY DAMN JEEP DONE!
-They cut off the fenders that day and cleaned them up. They look ok and I can do the rest.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 05-26-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

5/19/2011 Thursday
deliveries start coming in....

only 2 days from ordering! Thanks Chris from Jeep Add Ons

and some more..... Thanks Jason and Alec from EAD OFFROAD

wanted to try a new approach and run without a bar this time around and fill it full of lights (sort of ATX JK styling)

post #5 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

5/20/2011 Friday
Let it begin...

weather was crappy that day and primer went on thick... (old man left for a vacation to the Florida Keys for a week) so this is currently sitting in the shop for a week getting a good cure.

After priming the bumper I head over to the shop to pick up the Jeep and my old tires with a friend of the family. Load his truck up with my old tires and hop in the Jeep and head on home. About 5 miles from home going about 50mph I hear a loud BANG and see something shoot out in front of me. WTF? So I pull over quickly thinking maybe I just broke a wheel lug.

Walk the road about 200 feet and find a clip on wheel weight. I had told the shop SPECIFICALLY not to use these on my wheels (either outside or inside) as I would rip them off on trail. I only wanted stick on weights or beads. Closer inspection reveals that the stick on weights were used and these clip on styles too (ON ALL 4 WHEELS) and to top it off... my wheels are all gouged!!!!! .

So I drive home carefully not knowing how out of balance the tires may be and get it home. Get a ride back to town from my friend and pick up the cherokee and head over to the shop. Walk in and hand him that weight, his face got white as I said "remember when we had the conversation about these?" he acknowledged me and then went on to say he told the other shop not to use them. Proceeded to bring me into his office while he called the other shop to inform them of how pissed I was. Still... this is an extension of HIS SHOP! I informed them both I would not be paying for the tire service. I call the other shop once I left and he said he would do right by me and that my shop never told him to not put those on and that his machine wouldn't be able to gouge them like I explained, said he had noticed the gouges while installing which took an hour per tire. I learn a few other things too... which I'm currently working on and will update.

post #6 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

damn E, sorry to hear about all this bad luck. definately subscribed tho!

love the tires too!!!

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #7 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks man... but all is leading towards a greater direction now

post #8 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Good luck bro... Keep us updated, I'm looking forward to seeing the beast at the next Maine invasion!

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #9 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

delivery just now 5/26/2011 (you'll appreciate this Nick)

This ladies and gentleman is a Teraflex Forged Rear Track Bar (DAMN THIS IS STOUT!)

The original LCG track bar stripped out at the johnny joint last summer during the Northeast Maine JKO Invasion run, and paramaniac came to the trail fix rescue with a plan to get me off trail, and then I had welded it for a permanent fix after. Well I wasn't in much of a hurry since the beast was getting put away for the winter but now I need the axle straight as I didn't get the positioning correct before welding and it's off... So I discussed it with Joe at Teraflex and finally pulled upgrade

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 05-26-2011 at 02:21 PM.
post #10 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sorry about your troubles.... good to see you have it going your way.
post #11 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Why don't you drive your rig out here for a few weeks, we could get everything taken care of and have some fun.

JKUS Sort of
post #12 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
thanks man... but all is leading towards a greater direction now

You'll make it happen brother. Bring the SEXY back
post #13 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR LIKA View Post
Why don't you drive your rig out here for a few weeks, we could get everything taken care of and have some fun.
now that sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. but the damn "d" that comes after the fun creates something I don't have... "funDs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaxim View Post
You'll make it happen brother. Bring the SEXY back
damn straight

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 05-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.
post #14 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
delivery just now 5/26/2011 (you'll appreciate this Nick)

This ladies and gentleman is a Teraflex Forged Rear Track Bar (DAMN THIS IS STOUT!)

The original LCG track bar stripped out at the johnny joint last summer during the Northeast Maine JKO Invasion run, and paramaniac came to the trail fix rescue with a plan to get me off trail, and then I had welded it for a permanent fix after. Well I wasn't in much of a hurry since the beast was getting put away for the winter but now I need the axle straight as I didn't get the positioning correct before welding and it's off... So I discussed it with Joe at Teraflex and finally pulled upgrade
Looking good man... I'm quite certain that's gonna hold up a lot better than some JB Weld and a ratchet strap!

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #15 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Rock God

Going to be even better than before when its finished! Good luck w/ the rebuild bro!

My JKO BLACK WIDOW BUILD THREAD:

Big Thanks to Jason at

In process: One TONS, 44" Tires, Comp CUT,
Strertched, Hydro Assist, TF 6" LA,
Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #16 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Garage

I am kinda anxious to see the rebirth!!

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

That suck, but glad to hear you are moving along in a better way!

I do have a solution though:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...84&postcount=9

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #18 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #19 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

cant wait to see your new finished product. good luck e
post #20 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Rock God

wow , you have been through a lot of hassle... i know how that can be ... but sounds like you have things coming together ! I'm sure when your done it will be well worth it and be a awesome looking rig.. always one of my favorites.. good luck with everything ill be watching
post #21 of 121 Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You have a lot more patience then me Emetal. Good luck with the new build and I look forward to seeing it unveiled.
post #22 of 121 Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM
JKowners Vendor

Looking good E! Like to see you take something really nice and make it bad ass!!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #23 of 121 Old 05-27-2011, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks guys. I'm very anxious to start this... just need time myself now. So as quick as I'd like to get this done it will probably be over the course of a few weeks. I will now keep you all updated as I make progress

Ef- I hadn't seen that yet

post #24 of 121 Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

The winch was lookin a little rough after this past year's use so I decided to clean it up a bit...

This is really a very easy task for anyone contemplating this. I took a picture of the wiring just to have, but you can see the rust on the solenoid cross braces and bolts. A few rough spots on the winch itself too which is the overall reasoning for my touch up.

disassemble...

hit the cross braces up with a grinder...

pick your poison... I went with hammered paint by Rustoleum. Rustoleum also has these new designed spray triggers that I highly recommend getting if you don't already have one like this (wicked comfortable!).

-taped up the winch sections
-sanded them with a scotch brite pad to take the shine off the old paint (take your time with this as you only want to have to do this once... this is the bitch work part IMO)
-then cleaned it up with some lacquer thinner (outside for ventilation, this shit makes a mean migraine)
-and set up a nice spot outside...

hit em with about 6 light coats to build up a lighter hammer look (plus this paint is known to run fast if hurried and sprayed heavy)

then pull the tape...

reassemble...
Prior to slapping it back together I checked the grease situation and just made sure to spread it around the gear teeth a bit more. While I was at it I went to the hardware store and got new STAINLESS hardware.

Hooked it up and tested it and the drum and gears fell into place and spin clean.
(overall project time approx 4-5 hours allowing paint to dry)

Still not sure if I like the cross braces painted, will probably pull them and clean them up and shoot em with clear. Also looking at next painting the solenoid cover... I have a few cans of OEM rescue green that may be sacrificed. Going to have a local sign shop make new Mile Marker decals for me as the old ones are faded and torn.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 05-28-2011 at 07:56 AM.
post #25 of 121 Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
Looking good man... I'm quite certain that's gonna hold up a lot better than some JB Weld and a ratchet strap!

Sent by carrier pigeon
That's enough, Nick... that JB weld/ratchet strap idea was nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode