Steering Fix - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Steering Fix

Background:
Installed a 3" Teraflex Lift w/4 arms and had some alignment issues. The front axle was about 1 1/2" towards the driver side. I had two options: Adjustable track bar, or get a trackbar brace that raised the mounting point on the axle side.

I went for the rough country trackbar mount. and it has since corrected my front axle location side-to-side, but now I have bumpsteer. Also, when I get on the gas the jeep pulls to the left, and when I let off the gas it pulls to the right.
That might be an alignment issue, so ill wait on the alignment till I get the steering geometry fixed.

I have two options: (I think)
1. Get an adjustable track bar and bolt it in the original mounting hole, and make it longer to push the axle over, to get the drag link and trackbar back at the same angle, (stock) or
2. Get a drag link flip kit and hope that puts the drag link in line with the trackbar.

I like option 2 because the rear of the Jeep has the track bar raised, so why not raise the front, but I don't want to be playing parts replacer either to fix this issue.

Also, is flipping the draglink as easy as this piece: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/Jeep-J...p-Adapter.html ?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Rock God

get the adjustable trackbar and align and center the jeep. don't need to worry about the bump steer untill you got everything all setup how you like it.

bump steer should be addressed when you are 100% convinced that your jeep has been aligned and set-up to your satisfaction.

get the adj. trackbar and call it a day.

afterall, you get an alignmentshop to center your axle let alone adjust your caster with your adj. arms is and will be a pain in the ass.

most places will tell you that they can't adjust caster when adjusting the control arms. if that happens just walk out and say bye.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
TrailDuty.com

Checking your steering geometry is easy, either the drag link and track bar are parallel to each other or they aren't. If they aren't then you will likely have bump steer issues, which sounds like it is the case.

FWIW Raising your track bar at the axle end increases roll center (good), lowering it at the frame end lowers the roll center (not so good). Lowering the drag link at the frame end (dropped Pitman) can cause steering box issues, so raising it at the axle end (knuckle flip) is a better solution.

Option 2 would be my choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

mine did the exact same thing when i did my poly 3in lift. drag link flip cured it all.

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #5 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Without flipping the drag link and either raising the axle side track bar mount ala Poly, or dropping the frame side mount ala Teraflex, you're going to get bump steer. You should also have the front track bar & drag link at the same angle (or close) as the rear track bar. That way both axles are moving in the same relative vertical arcs as they're flexed. What that entails is getting the front set up right, then choosing the rear track bar bracket hole that gets the rear bar at the same angle as the stuff up front.

Just a pitch for Teraflex, you simply can't beat their Monster track bars. Get 'em front & rear. Back them up with Poly's reinforcement brackets for the frame mounts and use 9/16" grade 8 fine thread bolts in place of the factory junk. Get your axles centered with the TF adjuster sleeves on the bars, set the steering wheel to center. Done, fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode