Tire suggestions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tire suggestions

I will be in the market for tires soon and I am not sure what to buy so I am going to give some info on how I use my jeep and ask for suggestions from you guys.

1: I will drive mainly on the highway as my jeep is my DD when I do go off road there will likely be creeks and marshy areas. my two main offroad parks will mostly be rausch creek and uwarrie(sp?) so I would want a tire that will perform well in these areas but mainly at raush.

2: size, I will run either 33's or 35's with a 2.5" lift and want to run either a 16 or 17 inch wheel. would I need to regear with 33's? if so I will probably go with 35's.

3: cost, I want to buy all 5 wheels and tires because I dont want to be the retard with a stock spare on the tailgate. What did you pay? are there any good sales you know of right now? and what about a cost estimate on the total of the other things I would want to run larger tires, like c-gussets, axle tubes, gears, or any other suggestions for parts that would decrease the chance of breaking shit.

Thanks in advance, look forward to your insight.

2007-4 DOOR JK-Smittybilt XRC front and SRC rear bumpers-KC lights-315-70r17-Rubi wheels

Soon-regear-2.5 lift-winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Do you have a Rubicon? I ask this since you get 4.10 gears with a Rubi. I am planning to putter along on stock gears and 35's with my Rubi since I can't afford to regear but, if I had 3.73's I personally would feel regearing to be a necessity!!!! I can't say anything yet about performance with 35's (haven't bought any yet), I am basing this just off driving my stock Rubi sitting on stock 32's.

In my opinion, BFG mud terrains are a great tire choice! I have had them on three out of four of my offroad vehicles and loved them! (none of them were the new KM2's though, all were either the older style or the JK Rubi specific tread) I also had BFG AT's and they work well as well if you are going to spend a fair bit of time on pavement. The other tires I have had on my offroad trucks have been Cooper Discoverer STT muds, they work great too!!!

I have been debating on tires for quite some time now and have decided that I am going to try out the new Godyear Wrangler MTR-Kevlars.

As to the size debate, I personally wouldn't bother with 33's since the stock tires are 32's! 35's fit so easily on a JK and look so good!!!!
post #3 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

no it's an X and four door too for what thats worth. I'm not real concerned about being road friendly as I really don't drive far and every truck I've ever had has had sometype of mud terrain on it, I was even thinking about running super swamper boggers.

2007-4 DOOR JK-Smittybilt XRC front and SRC rear bumpers-KC lights-315-70r17-Rubi wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Granite Guru

How many miles you running on it a year? Boggers will be lucky to last 10 or 12k.

I've ran the TRXUS M/T which did decent on the road/mud. Wet traction wasn't too good but it is a radial so meh.

Right now I'm running XTerrains but those suck hard in the mud so it doesn't sound like it would work for you.

Maybe some good ol bias TSLs? They'll last a good deal longer than the boggers (maybe even 25k!) and are nicer on the road.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #5 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

do you have any experience around the thornbirds? and yeah the boggers were probably just me dreaming but I doubt I would actually run them because I don't want to be buying tires every year or so.

post #6 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsinaround930 View Post
do you have any experience around the thornbirds? and yeah the boggers were probably just me dreaming but I doubt I would actually run them because I don't want to be buying tires every year or so.
Every time I see Thornbirds mentioned, it's in a thread about how much they suck. (Thornturds, LOL!) That being said, I have never run them so, no direct experience. (I HATE how they look so, I would never run them on anything even if I got them for free!!! (Heck, even if you paid me, it would take a lot of $$$ for me to be willing to run them!)) Looking at their tread pattern, they look like they won't get very good traction at all. (long tread blocks around the circumference of the tire)

Boggers- everyone I know that runs them likes them but says they are loud, wear fast (you can literally see them wear each time you drive them on the street!), and are not very good for sidehilling (which is evident when you look at their tread pattern). I still want to run a set someday! LOL!

Swamper radials (SSR)- I had a set of 33's for a couple weeks on my blue K5 before I found a really good deal on some 37" STT's. They were surprisingly quiet and docile on the road! I was really impressed by them and would have bought some in 37" flavor if I hadn't found a smokin deal on the STT's!!!
post #7 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Granite Guru

Muddin'

I have 35" Goodyear Kevlars and don't recommend them. Had them balanced 3 times and they're still not right. Next time I will probably go with BFG KMs (OE on my Rubi and they were great) or Nitto Trail Grapplers (good reviews and I understand are made in the USA). I have over 90K miles on my DD and usually in the mud when off road.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hankook dynapros. i freaking love this tire. it digs hard in the mud and wears good on pavement. also one of the best mud tires out there. im running 35"s with 2" lift on my 4 door with cut fenders.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #9 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

35" Mickey Thompson ATZs ...20,000 miles and they still have tread like new.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #10 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Rock God

Goodyear MT/r is a very good tire. Great on road manners and I've had mine all over Rausch Creek without any problems.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

Cooper STT's are fantastic Mud tire. Running 33's with my 3:73 and 6spd and Superchips tow mode and have no issues. I am going to bump up to 35's when these wear out and get some C-gussets. I will be going with a 35 STT as they are a lighter M/T on the market and may or may not regear.

If you have a 6spd with your rubi then you won't have to much issues running 35's and add a superchip programmer and the 4:10's will be very liveable.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Granite Guru

x2 on the Coopers!

Running 285/75R16s on my 2-door with a 2.5" Teraflex BB and 4-door springs. These tires work great on everything except hot dry rocks (they tend to chunk on those).
My Jeep has the 6spd and 4.10s, so 33" tires are ok. thinking about 35s next time, but that's a year away.

Check with PepBoys, if you have one near you. They were doing a buy 3 get one free rebate program...maybe they can offer it with you buying 5 tires also?

I'm pretty sure I've got 35k miles on these, and theres is still a little life left. Just remember, gotta rotate every 5k or they'll cup.

pic of the STTs before I lifted the Jeep:
post #13 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to GoEagles88

I love my Duratracs! Quiet on the road and made in the USA! I joined tread lightly.org and got a $100 rebate certificate on Goodyear tires. I then purchased them through discount tire direct and got a $50 discount for buying 5. Total cost after the rebate (no shipping or tax)...$1165. Hard to beat!

2011 Flame Red Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex coil lift
37" Goodyear MTR Kevlars
Eagle Alloy series 063 wheels
Poison Spyder Crusher narrow flares
5.13 Superior Gears w/ ARB diff cover
Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks
Safari Straps full cage
Dirty Dog 2pc. Shade
Body Armor tube doors
Or Fab tire carrier
B&M transmission oil cooler
JCR Crusader mid width front bumper
Or Fab rear bumper & tire carrier
ACE Engineering side bars

I need to hit the Lotto big time...
post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm not sure how people are getting so poor results with the MT/R Kevlars and balancing. I mounted mine up on my Raceline beadlocks by myself and never attempted to balance them. The run smooth, too. I can't imagine they can be that hard to balance if you make even the slightest attempt (and know what you're doing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #15 of 16 Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I came across some used bfg at's cheap got 5 tires with 70% Tread and 5 brand new rubi wheels for 800 bucks now I'm working on figuring my milage to see how important a regear is. Then 2.5rk lift and fenders.

Sent from message in a bottle

post #16 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Rock God

What size did you end up getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode