Lock Out Hubs Affect On MPG Experiment - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Lock Out Hubs Affect On MPG Experiment

With Jenna's rig on a hoist for the past few weeks she has been driving the Cherokee so I have been either having to drive the tow beast or my rig which both of them have the carbon footprint of a Sasquatch with their MPG. I drive about 40 miles a day a few times a week... not to bad but still gets ridiculous in fuel money pretty quickly.

I drove my rig the other day and forgot that I still had my hubs locked in on the RJ60 from Jeep Beach.. So on the 20 mile drive to my Corp Office on Monday I reset the MPG meter and drove between 60-65 on the 90% highway drive.

On the drive back I unlocked the hubs and reset the meter again... and even ran into a decent head wind..

Pretty significant difference... yet once I get into more stop and go it settles in at about 11 whether its locked or not.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

sorry i was distracted by the christmas tree you got goin on there in bw the gauges

thats quite the difference, but still decent for being a gorilla on 40s IMO... what does the tow pig get?

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #3 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Good testing, I wonder it would be with longer testing. I like your christmas tree dash.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhrd4 View Post
sorry i was distracted by the christmas tree you got goin on there in bw the gauges

thats quite the difference, but still decent for being a gorilla on 40s IMO... what does the tow pig get?
Yeah, one of these days I'll address the lights.. I think I've become use to them... I think I just need some new sensors.. waiting for Diablo Sport to come out with an update so I can turn off the sway bar light.. the air bag light is gonna be more tricky..

The tow beast gets about 10mpg.. it gets 10mpg towing 20k lbs and it gets 10 mpg not towing.. lol

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Yeah, one of these days I'll address the lights.. I think I've become use to them... I think I just need some new sensors.. waiting for Diablo Sport to come out with an update so I can turn off the sway bar light.. the air bag light is gonna be more tricky..

The tow beast gets about 10mpg.. it gets 10mpg towing 20k lbs and it gets 10 mpg not towing.. lol
just a thought here. since the sway bar light is on due to the fact that you dont have an e-sway anymore, why not take the led out of the back of the circuitboard? a buddy of mine had a 2001 f-150 that he turned into a sort of race truck. took the steering wheel of for a race wheel, thus ditching the airbag, and throwing an airbag light. well, behind all of those lights you see between the gauges is a small led, we just took the gauges out, yanked the led out from behind the deal, and boom, no more light...

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #6 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have noticed the same Hit. I drove 5 hours from Tahoe last year after forgetting to unlock my hubs, and couldn't understand why I was burning through so much fuel. The drive home is mostly flat and downhill, yet I burned a little more than the trip to Tahoe.

When I got home and started to wash my Jeep, I noticed the hubs were still locked.

With these big-ole siddys and 5.38s, I think locking hubs make a big difference.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

I wanted to do Solid Spyntec's on the 44 I built for Smurfette but I don't think the Spyntecs will work with RCV's..?

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #8 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Wait... What! Rubikong is getting 14.6 mpg.

My shit is getting that or worse and I'm on 35's with factory 4.10s.

What the hell I'm I doing wrong?

My drive to and from Jeep Beach averaged 15mpg @ 70mph.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99¢ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #9 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejeep View Post

If it's anything like my mpg display is about 2mph high.

I'm sure the difference is pretty noticeable, I'd like to run manual hubs for sure!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:

Firstly, drive slower.. the MPG's plummet over 65mph in both my rig and Jenna's.

Might want to re-gear to 5.13 or 4.88 at the min.

Get the Spyntec hub conversion

Problem is it will take a lot of fill ups to recoup the money spent on re-gearing or the Spyntech conversion.. the Spyntech will also require 5 on 5.5 wheels in the front.

That leaves you with .. Drive slower.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #11 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

I noticed the same thing with the lockouts, I'm between 14-15 lately
I've also even driving a little slower...

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #12 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
I wanted to do Solid Spyntec's on the 44 I built for Smurfette but I don't think the Spyntecs will work with RCV's..?
Damn but I would love a lock-out solution for RCV's.

post #13 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Firstly, drive slower.. the MPG's plummet over 65mph in both my rig and Jenna's.

Might want to re-gear to 5.13 or 4.88 at the min.

Get the Spyntec hub conversion

Problem is it will take a lot of fill ups to recoup the money spent on re-gearing or the Spyntech conversion.. the Spyntech will also require 5 on 5.5 wheels in the front.

That leaves you with .. Drive slower.
Yeah, I had 9 hours (round trip) to think about all that. Even the "trailer it" option came into mind. Overall, it's still cheaper/easier to just deal with 14mpg.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99¢ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #14 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, I had 9 hours (round trip) to think about all that. Even the "trailer it" option came into mind. Overall, it's still cheaper/easier to just deal with 14mpg.
And BTW.. your rig is looking pretty bad ass these days.. ^5

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #15 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Rock God

I'm getting 14.7 on 40's and 5.38's...

But no real power to speak of, except down hill.... step hills.

post #16 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
I'm getting 14.7 on 40's and 5.38's...

But no real power to speak of, except down hill.... step hills.
That is pretty damn good!

Are you auto or manual?

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Granite Guru

I get 15-16 in a 2 door with 35's and 5.13 gears and an auto. Looked at the Spyntec but 1) 5x5.5 and 2) I have RCVs.

I drive 30 miles each way to get to work each day.

FML

Thinking about buying a 500 or 1,000 dollar shitcan to drive back and forth.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #18 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That is pretty damn good!

Are you auto or manual?
Auto...

If I push it above 70, good bye OD on the 1st slightest uphill grade, uncommon to Miami I know , and the mpg's drop to 10-11.

post #19 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 04:57 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Drive slower. I went from the 15 range to the 11 range just from changing my speed from 60ish to 70ish. I'm a dummy because I STILL go over 60ish.

Edit: I include the "ish" because my Jeep still thinks I am running 31's on 4.10's.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #20 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Spoke with RVC at EJS. They claim they have a setup that will work. I looked on their site and it looks like he was referring to their standard setup for D44s with non-unit bearing hubs. If they're the right lengths and the stub is the same, No reason why they won't work, and Poly sells their 30 spline gear for the 60165 hubs (or, use them as a conversion hubs for the 19 spline hubs). I have the Spyntecs on mine and may check this out a bit more.
post #21 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

I've run the Spyntecs about 5k miles now and I'm guessing I get 2-3 mpg better with them unlocked. However, the really big difference is the increased power from not having ll that stuff spinning all the time, plus, the driving dynamics of the JK are much improved. Handling is much better without all that drag. I highly recommend manual hubs.

From experience with my old YJ I'd say the D60s the OP is running are going to have a lot more drag than D44s and will pretty much murder the mileage if they're both engaged.
post #22 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
JKO Addict!

BTW, if you get Spyntecs don't adjust the bearing preload the way they recommend. They'll end up way too loose. (Don't ask how I know thi$$$$$$$$.......)
post #23 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Hit,
since your airbag light is on because you swapped seats and no longer have the side air bags, might try just putting a 3.3 ohm resistor across the jeep side harness to trick it into thinking it sees the bag.

that has worked on several vehicles that I changed the steering wheel out on - Ford, chevy and honda computers all fell for it.

DISCLAIMER!!
Do this at your own risk!
Disabling such monumental safety features such a small light on the dash may cause you to be less safe in your lifted, modified, high COG vehicle!
Removal of a safety light may lead to:
Death, injury, dismemberment, alcohol allergy, constipation, hemorrhoids, anal leakage, an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, the extinction of several unrecognized rain forest species, a bent axle, an unbent axle or internet verbal assault by safety nazis - or more probably a slightly better driving experience with a slightly dimmer dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #24 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

i run about 14.6-15 on 37s with 4.10s. can't compare it to my florida days cuz i use to drive way over 65mph down there. up here i don't do much over 60 due to the windy roads and hills. so i think the hills and roads accommodated for an even transition from flat and fast.

good to see kong gettin a little better mpg though and to think, we're both running that hefty ORE armor, you're even heavier with your sliders and rear carrier. that 14 is a good number!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #25 of 30 Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Granite Guru

[hijack on] I just found a new sig hope you don't mind [/hijack off]

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
DISCLAIMER!!
Do this at your own risk!
Disabling such a monumental safety feature may cause you to be less safe in your lifted, modified, high COG vehicle!
Removal of a safety light may lead to:
Death, injury, dismemberment, alcohol allergy, constipation, hemorrhoids, anal leakage, an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, the extinction of several unrecognized rain forest species, a bent axle, an unbent axle or internet verbal assault by safety nazis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode