Rock Krawler Ultimate steering upgrade- anybody running it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rock Krawler Ultimate steering upgrade- anybody running it?

I tried searching and came up empty handed. Opinions, tips? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Rock God

i have it highly recommend ... makes a big difference, i have everything dialed in, i dont even need a steering stabilizer with 37's and beadlocks

Last edited by block; 05-25-2011 at 09:00 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

SWEET!!! Thanks for the info (and great pic)!!! What lift are you running? Is that their aluminum tie-rod, how do you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Rock God

thanks I'm running their new pro aluminum kit.5.5".. with coilovers and their remote res shocks.. i love everything about it.. it is awesome ! yea it is their aluminum tie-rod .. very beefy and strong.. plus it looks cool
post #5 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
thanks I'm running their new pro aluminum kit.5.5".. with coilovers and their remote res shocks.. i love everything about it.. it is awesome ! yea it is their aluminum tie-rod .. very beefy and strong.. plus it looks cool
That it does! Sounds like you have a sweet setup overall!!!

I am debating the steering upgrade since (like any other high steer kits that I have seen) you have to run longer bumpstops to keep the steering out of contact with the frame (RK said 3" minimum bumpstop extensions). As I am going to be running only a 3.5" lift (RK's X factor midarm) I am wondering if I will have enough uptravel to be happy?
post #6 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADERJKU View Post
That it does! Sounds like you have a sweet setup overall!!!

I am debating the steering upgrade since (like any other high steer kits that I have seen) you have to run longer bumpstops to keep the steering out of contact with the frame (RK said 3" minimum bumpstop extensions). As I am going to be running only a 3.5" lift (RK's X factor midarm) I am wondering if I will have enough uptravel to be happy?
I have a friend/customer running a 2.5" RK Stock Mod on his Unlimited with the Poly Performance steering correction kit. He started with 3" of bumpstop in the front and took an inch out.

I am waiting on him to send me the picture of his Jeep on a ramp so you can see the up-travel he still has.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I have a friend/customer running a 2.5" RK Stock Mod on his Unlimited with the Poly Performance steering correction kit. He started with 3" of bumpstop in the front and took an inch out.

I am waiting on him to send me the picture of his Jeep on a ramp so you can see the up-travel he still has.

Marcus
AWESOME! Thank you sir!

I am just rather paranoid about it since the only other Jeep I have owned was a ZJ on a 4.5" lift that for some reason (I can't recall what, some clearance issue, I think it was the stock steering hitting the swaybar mounts our something, it's been several years ago now) had to have 4.5" extended bumpstops (thus stock uptravel) and bottomed out really harshly a LOT whilst I was wheeling it. I went with a Teraflex steering setup on it to try to alleviate the clearance issues and ended up with TERRIBLE bumpsteer (which is exactly what that kit said it would get rid of, LOL!) plus, that kit had some sketchy weirdness to it (IMO) such as swaybar brackets that you weld to the middle of the inner C's (looked quite odd and didn't inspire confidence in its strength).
post #8 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Rock God

LevillinBrad runs it on his Jeep w/ the 3.5 X factor and it hits the frame during articulation. We are right up the road from you if you ever want to check it out.

Jeremey

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #9 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
LevillinBrad runs it on his Jeep w/ the 3.5 X factor and it hits the frame during articulation. We are right up the road from you if you ever want to check it out.

Jeremey
Did he extend the bumpstops, or no? If so, by how much? Is he happy with the amount of uptravel it allows?

I'd definitely like to check it out, thanks bro!!!
post #10 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
JKowners Vendor

You need to extend your bump stops a minimum of 3" with that setup or the bracket will hit the frame. This should be the case of all high steer setups..

RK
post #11 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
You need to extend your bump stops a minimum of 3" with that setup or the bracket will hit the frame. This should be the case of all high steer setups..

RK
That's what I had figured! Thanks! I was just wondering if he had extended them 3" and was still hitting or what was going on?

post #12 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Here is Jeff's rig. It is on 35" MTRs & 2.5" Stock Mod. 3" bump stops pictured here:

post #13 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

AWESOME!!! Thanks for the pic Marcus!!!
post #14 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the 3.5" kit.. full flip in front..all pro alum.. I wouldn't want anything else.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #15 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
I have the 3.5" kit.. full flip in front..all pro alum.. I wouldn't want anything else.
Cool, thanks bro! By the way, that's quite a nice build you've got going there!!! Great work! I love the attention to detail you have put in!
post #16 of 17 Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Here is Jeff's rig. It is on 35" MTRs & 2.5" Stock Mod. 3" bump stops pictured here:

Uh, that's not Austin.....

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Uh, that's not Austin.....
Jeff lives south of Austin, near me. The picture was taken at Tribe4x4 in Fort Worth after they installed his gears.

I didn't claim that I took the picture...not sure what you were hinting at.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode