LOD vs ORF stinger bumpers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
LOD vs ORF stinger bumpers

So I have decided on the LOD Signature 3rd generation rear bumper and tire carrier and I will be ordering that in september! I figure since I am doing it why not change the front too....

I would like to hear input, see pictures and so on about the LOD Signature stubby front bumper with stinger and the ORF front bumper with stinger. I'd like to have the fogs and a winch plate would be nice for a future winch!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You'll probably have a bit of a wait with either one but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

My personal opinion is to keep things uniform...LoD has a distinct look and feel that would flow best with a full wrap.

That new bumper they have is pretty sweet. They also package their stuff well.

One word of advice is to heavily inspect your powdercoat when they show up. Hit the nooks and crannies with a bit of paint because the bare spots will rust...and fast. The PC doesn't get everywhere based on my experience with them.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thank you! I was thinking that it the way to go but i like the look of that ORF for some reason!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I agree... I think rigs look best when they are kept uniform across the vehicle. I run the ORFabs Front, Back, Sides, etc... but everyone has their own taste...

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.” ~ John Stuart Mill
post #5 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CallMeBooth Send a message via Skype™ to CallMeBooth

I really like the look of the LOD but at the same time everyone I see seems to have rust and cracked powder coat all over them... They seem to have a big issue with their powder coating.

2008 Red Rock 4 Door X
3" Teraflex Spring Lift
BFG KM2 35", LED Rock Lights
KC Driving Lights, Hella Black Magic lights
Trektop, RR Front Stubby
post #6 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBooth View Post
I really like the look of the LOD but at the same time everyone I see seems to have rust and cracked powder coat all over them... They seem to have a big issue with their powder coating.
Yes my Gen2 rear Lod tire carrier rusted bad and powder coat flaked. Chris took it back and is refinishing it and utilizing a new Zinc coating/dip to help with the rust issues. All his new bumpers will be utilizing this zinc coating/dip
post #7 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah I really like the look of the gen 3.... Any pics? Sorry I look at the pictures!!!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #8 of 25 Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Granite Guru

LOD

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38113

Chad

Last edited by azrockzuk; 05-24-2011 at 11:48 PM.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am thinking of doing all LOD now!!! and i think that is the best wasy to go!!! they look sharp!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #10 of 25 Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

My powder coating is crap... after a year on the jeep it just flakes off. Real thin stuff. I will probably sand it down in the next few weeks and repaint it if rustoleum bedliner.

If you can, I would suggest go bare metal and paint it yourself.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #11 of 25 Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Granite Guru

the orf looks great with my pure jeep sliders
post #12 of 25 Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Granite Guru

I was really wanting the LoD front bumper as I was pretty happy with the rear carrier too.

When I finally got it I found out that it looks much better in the picture then in real life (in my opinion). Also what everyone said was true, it sticks out really far!!! Many people tried to tell me about this little problem but I had already made up my mind and went ahead with the purchase anyway. Well I ended up selling it on craigslist 2 weeks later. After all the money I invested I just couldn't leave that thing up there when I was unhappy with how it looked. Lesson learned...

Probably going to replace the rear also at some point in time but that is just because I want to run the spare inside the cab and ditch the tire carrier.

You have been warned just as I was.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Or Fab makes great bumpers. I've run mine for about 3 years in every kind of terrain and it still looks great. I've kept on top of touching up the powder coat and stuff like that, but its taken some hits on the rocks and barely even got any dents.

One nice thing about Or Fab that I can speak about firsthand is that their customer service is second to none. I had an issue with my clevis mounts at one point and Or Fab sent me new ones after talking with them over the phone and showing them pictures of what broke. The new clevis mounts they sent me were BEEFY, and have been holding strong ever since I received them 2 years ago.

LoD looks nice, but after seeing them in person, the quality is really lacking. I used to love the bumper for its functionality, but when i saw it in person, it really let me down. It seems really thin, and I was at a jeep show where the entire rear bumper flexed when the tire carrier was opened. LoD had responded in the old thread where I mentioned it that a bolt must've been missing from when it was installed to allow it to flex like that. I don't buy it...lack of a bolt should not make an off-road oriented bumper flex. It should be higher grade steel or even aluminum, of a thickness and weight that doesn't allow for movement.

And I've never seen someone use the clevis mounts on the LoD as an anchor point while winching, but they look so flimsy that I bet they would bend or even break off if you're winching any direction but straight. LoD is overpriced and overhyped.

Buy Or Fab and be confident you are buying an American made product backed by a company who will stand behind their products. They are the only company in my sig line for good reason.

Here's a pic of one instance where the bumper was resting on the rock and I used the rock to sort of slide on up the obstacle.

And if you're wondering, I have the Gen 1 Or Fab Stubby non-winch version that I modified by fabbing up a winch mount at my buddy's shop.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s

Last edited by Joneszj; 05-26-2011 at 06:54 AM.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
LoD looks nice, but after seeing them in person, the quality is really lacking. I used to love the bumper for its functionality, but when i saw it in person, it really let me down. It seems really thin, and I was at a jeep show where the entire rear bumper flexed when the tire carrier was opened. LoD had responded in the old thread where I mentioned it that a bolt must've been missing from when it was installed to allow it to flex like that. I don't buy it...lack of a bolt should not make an off-road oriented bumper flex. It should be higher grade steel or even aluminum, of a thickness and weight that doesn't allow for movement.

And I've never seen someone use the clevis mounts on the LoD as an anchor point while winching, but they look so flimsy that I bet they would bend or even break off if you're winching any direction but straight. LoD is overpriced and overhyped.
Okay, so you bash a product that has upgraded from gen 1.....

For that bumper to move the person would have not installed all the bolts. Probably got lazy and did not drill the required holes to mount the bumper properly.

My LoD 2nd Gen rear tire carrier has been fantastic except the Matte finish powdercoat....which Chris at LoD took the bumper back and refinished with the new zinc coating and new Textured powder coat all on his dime including shipping both ways to Canada! So, they stand behind there product 100%.

The clevis mounts look weak???? I have pulled several people using just one of the LoD clevis mounts including my 1 tonne Diesel out of a deep snowbank with no issues so, i don't know where you get this information of being weak??? Maybe before you open your yap and bash a product...try it first or go out with someone that has the 2nd or 3rd gen LoD bumpers!..

Overpriced and overhyped??? I guess you must pay sticker price for everything!
post #15 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyJKU08 View Post
Okay, so you bash a product that has upgraded from gen 1.....

For that bumper to move the person would have not installed all the bolts. Probably got lazy and did not drill the required holes to mount the bumper properly.

My LoD 2nd Gen rear tire carrier has been fantastic except the Matte finish powdercoat....which Chris at LoD took the bumper back and refinished with the new zinc coating and new Textured powder coat all on his dime including shipping both ways to Canada! So, they stand behind there product 100%.

The clevis mounts look weak???? I have pulled several people using just one of the LoD clevis mounts including my 1 tonne Diesel out of a deep snowbank with no issues so, i don't know where you get this information of being weak??? Maybe before you open your yap and bash a product...try it first or go out with someone that has the 2nd or 3rd gen LoD bumpers!..

Overpriced and overhyped??? I guess you must pay sticker price for everything!
He said his OR-Fab bumper is a Gen 1.

Make sure you know what you're hollering about before you holler too! :LOL:

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.

post #16 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
He said his OR-Fab bumper is a Gen 1.

Make sure you know what you're hollering about before you holler too! :LOL:

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.
Thanks for that

me hollering in regards to LoD gen1, gen 2 or gen 3 bumpers....I guess they flex too much and got weak clevis mounts...and are shit quality.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyJKU08 View Post
Thanks for that

me hollering in regards to LoD gen1, gen 2 or gen 3 bumpers....I guess they flex too much and got weak clevis mounts...and are shit quality.
Yep. And are overpriced.

post #18 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yep. And are overpriced.
Congratulations on your Or Fab bumper setup, one that works seemingly perfect for your needs, but saying it is the only way to go while putting down a company like LoD with a good reputation in the industry & stands behind their product 100% does nothing to further your credibility.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would like to here mostly about the stubby with the stinger if possible!!! Some pictures?

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #20 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 04:43 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Pictures of LoD Stingers

post #21 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

LIke I said up top, I've run my LoD shorty for about 16 months and its been a champ... outside of the finish. Its taken several very hard hits without a dent and I can attest to the strength of the clevis shackles. I've used them several times to do hard snatches , as an anchor point, and while winching.

my only problem has ever been the finish.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #22 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

BBIrish ran the ORF stinger for a while and loved it, so to the OP, you may want to PM him for some info. His only complaint was the added length from the height of the stinger made his 2 door turning radius like a 4 door.

Fit and finish is top notch.

EDIT: And to the OP, search is your friend.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...=orfab+stinger

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25646

Last edited by Joneszj; 05-26-2011 at 09:31 PM.
post #23 of 25 Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Granite Guru

the or fab sets the winch down between the frame rails so it keeps it out of your grill
post #24 of 25 Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Renzo Fighter

OR-FAB stinger with fogs, but no winch plate....besides a great bumper, any problem i have had the customer service has been top notch! I say go OR-FAB!!

Click on this and fight!!
post #25 of 25 Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
BBIrish ran the ORF stinger for a while and loved it, so to the OP, you may want to PM him for some info. His only complaint was the added length from the height of the stinger made his 2 door turning radius like a 4 door.

Fit and finish is top notch.
Sure did. Sorry I just saw this thread, I will add my .02

The customer service of orfab is what drew me to their stinger in the first place. I actually have pics of my bumper going through the whole process from tube bending to welding to powdercoat, I thought that was awesome.

The ORF stinger powdercoat is tougher than lod imo. Everyone I know with lod products has problems with flaking but thats just been my experience.

The tubing diameter on the orf stinger itself is thicker than the lod tube. I have parked next to the lod stinger and it just looks whimpy compared to the orf.

I also loved how low in the bumper my winch sat.

The only reason I got rid of it was I wanted to change it up and went back to full flares and a full width bumper.

Here are some pics. Any questions feel free to ask, I also prob have pics from every angle

Last edited by BBirish; 06-03-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode