ARB Front Locker Steering Issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
ARB Front Locker Steering Issue

I need a little help here. I just recently installed a Dynatrac ProRock 44 front axle assembly w/ ARB locker, and RCV axles. I have been driving on this for about 150 miles. No issues in 4wheel Hi or 4 wheel Lo. Last night I installed my ARB compressor to engage the locker for the first time. When I test drove it last night to engage the locker, my jeep immediately turned to the right and I could not turn the wheel to the left. I thought I was going to rip the wheel off the column. I disengaged the locker and things were back to normal. Any ideas why I can't turn my steering wheel to the left while ARB locker is engaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
JKO Addict!

???? Your ARB hates NASCAR or maybe its just because its from Australia and they drive on the other side of the road........it could be trying to save your life!!

Seriously I have nothing good to add....

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Rock God

was this on or off road? i would check to make sure your tires are the same diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
TrailDuty.com

Are both axles locked when the locker is on?

If you don't know jack each wheel off the ground one at a time when locked, you should not be able to rotate them.

A front locker will make turning on pavement difficult, but it shouldn't be impossible. Having a bad alignment could cause it to pull hard one way.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
TrailDuty.com

Another thought, do you have locking hubs?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Another thought, do you have locking hubs?
THIS ^^^
post #7 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Rock God

To me, the only thing that makes any sense is a steering box issue. The locker would make it harder to steer but it should be equal. The pump doesn't differentiate between right or left, it just provides fluid pressure that is routed in the steering box by the steering wheel.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Rock God

I called Tom Allen of PSC and he also thinks the problem is in the steering box. He said he has seen numerous problems with JK boxes and the boxes have a spring type shaft- think torsion bar- that can cause this issue. Call him in the AM.

Good luck.

Scott
post #9 of 13 Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Slow and Low

Scott,
How would this only happen when the ARB is engaged? Seems to work fine without the front ARB engaged.
I would think a steering box issue would be present all the time, no?
Lo
post #10 of 13 Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the input, I took the rig into a field last night. I engaged the front locker and turned the steering full left and full right while stopped. The steering was a very hard pull to the left at first but then after a few lefts and rights and it was good and had even pressure turning the wheel to full left and full right. So I drove it around at low speed and made some sharp turns everything seems to be fine now. I may look into a new steering box just to eliminate that variable. Thanks again.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Scott,
How would this only happen when the ARB is engaged? Seems to work fine without the front ARB engaged.
I would think a steering box issue would be present all the time, no?
Lo
Jon-
The locked ARB is adding resistance and exposing steering box issues. PSC said there is a shaft (like a torsion spring) in the box that can get damaged by off road use that prevents steering to one side under pressure. They said that it can semi reset by forcing and holding teh steering to that one side. They say this is why they are so quick to recommend ram assist on JKs.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
Jon-
The locked ARB is adding resistance and exposing steering box issues. PSC said there is a shaft (like a torsion spring) in the box that can get damaged by off road use that prevents steering to one side under pressure. They said that it can semi reset by forcing and holding teh steering to that one side. They say this is why they are so quick to recommend ram assist on JKs.
Good info. Thanks!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeespeed View Post
I may look into a new steering box just to eliminate that variable.
Bear in mind in 2010 Jeep replaced the JK's Delphi POS steering box with a Chinese POS steering box. Waiting for someone like PSC or Howe to make a decent replacement that doesn't require a ram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode