rear sway bar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

rear sway bar

i just stretched my two door 8 inches. my rear currie anti rock won't work in the stock location (i can only move it back a couple of inches). i was going to flip it (not much room for that too, but do able). my question is, do i really need it off roading? what are the pros and cons?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdoug View Post
i just stretched my two door 8 inches. my rear currie anti rock won't work in the stock location (i can only move it back a couple of inches). i was going to flip it (not much room for that too, but do able). my question is, do i really need it off roading? what are the pros and cons?

thanks
from the experience i have had, most guys dont normally disco the rear SB when on the trail, BUT this is due to (at least in my case) the fact that the rear really does not allow much more flex when discoed as the front does. so IMO theres no harm in being discoed in the rear on a trail.

others may chime in and disagree, as there may be problems that i do not know of.

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A few of us ditched the rear sway bar all together and didnt notice any diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
A few of us ditched the rear sway bar all together and didnt notice any diff.
i thought this was the case, but i didnt want to suggest it since i wasnt sure...

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

when I drive my jeep to work its a 200 mile round trip at about 75mph. I have been in crosswinds that were 60mph and had no issues at all..
post #6 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Wheeler

I removed mine the 2nd week I had my Jeep and I didn't notice much of a difference on road but it does make a big difference (imo) offroad.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can not tell the difference with or without a rear swaybar - except on the trail where my rear gets some killer articulation. When I removed my rear swaybar to go coilovers, I drove it around for a couple weeks while waiting on my Currie antirock, but never installed the antirock because It felt the same with no swaybar.

Now the front swaybar, thats a different story. My Jeep is flat-out SCARY on the road with that off.

Let the haters hate, but IMO the rear swaybar doesn't seem to do much for a JK.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

Now the front swaybar, thats a different story. My Jeep is flat-out SCARY on the road with that off.
this... forgot to reconnect after leaving a buddies ranch once... after three wheeling it thru a stoplight i never forgot again...

Quote:

post #9 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So, what you're saying is that if/when I go to coilovers, don't even worry about buying the Currie, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #10 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
So, what you're saying is that if/when I go to coilovers, don't even worry about buying the Currie, right?
I would tell you to wait and decide for yourself..... easier not to order a part than it is to sell or return an unwanted part
post #11 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
TrailDuty.com

As already mentioned the rear does far less work than the front and as a much lower impact on handling. There may be times you'd notice like in emergencies; swerving to avoid a vehicle, tire blow out, etc, but otherwise it's no big deal if it's not there.

Off-road I actually prefer Antirocks to been disconnected, as they help control body movement, and help reduce those "oh crap" moments when weight shifts the balance suddenly from one side to the other.
post #12 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I would tell you to wait and decide for yourself..... easier not to order a part than it is to sell or return an unwanted part
Probably good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
As already mentioned the rear does far less work than the front and as a much lower impact on handling. There may be times you'd notice like in emergencies; swerving to avoid a vehicle, tire blow out, etc, but otherwise it's no big deal if it's not there.

Off-road I actually prefer Antirocks to been disconnected, as they help control body movement, and help reduce those "oh crap" moments when weight shifts the balance suddenly from one side to the other.
That makes sense, too.

You guys aren't making it any easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #13 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Granite Guru

Ya know I never even thought about removing the rear sway bar..I recently steped up to a set of 285/75r17's on the stock rims and while fine for around town and some mild offroad stuff...spacers are in the budget right now so this might be a free alternative...so no real negatives running without a rear sway bar on the street?

Go Play Outside.
post #14 of 26 Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

What - you stretched a two door 8 inches? For christsakes post some pics!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #15 of 26 Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Granite Guru

yeah my rear sway bar is in the basement,and that's where it belongs.
on the road feels the same to me,and even off road in off camber situations
I dont feel the difference.
I'm happy without!
post #16 of 26 Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
What - you stretched a two door 8 inches? For christsakes post some pics!

pixs
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48266
post #17 of 26 Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

looks like i can not flip it with the currie arms. i need to make longer arms or run without the sway bar.

Last edited by lvdoug; 05-25-2011 at 10:17 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Granite Guru

So I yarded my sway bar out yesterday morning, Drove up to see the guys at Northridge(about 90 miles round trip) Didn't notice a thing. Either mine was worn out or it doesn't really do much..

Go Play Outside.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Depending on how lose/flexy the rear end is will help determine if you should run a rear bar. If it's too loose it will make that front end not want to travel up. At least what I've seen on a rig or two

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #20 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Bringing this old thread back to life with any updates.

I recently went to 16" outboard coil overs in the rear and to get the ride height ratio right the coils are very light, 12" 100 over 16" 150 with a 5" helper coil.

The ride is very good and really soaks up the bumps but the body roll is very noticeable.

I have been running the last year without either sway bars and 12" travel coil overs f&r and the rig was very stable and never noticed any body roll but I was running a heavier coil rate. very stable off road and could corner at speed on road with out the roll over feel.

You hear both sides of the sway bar debate, I would have to a custom set up but have room to make the rear work. The front would be tougher.

debating on adding a sway bar or just running higher coil rates and living with a rougher on road ride.

2 door, stretched to 109" wb with double triangulated 4 link rear, 3 link long arm front, with pro rocks 60's and 40's, 4" of lift.

Rig is about 50/50 on road and trails, mostly rock gardens and steep cliffs,

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #21 of 26 Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post

debating on adding a sway bar or just running higher coil rates and living with a rougher on road ride.
If you understand the benefits and want to make it work, then you'll find a way to make it work. Some get it, some don't. I think you do so you'll probably end up with torsion bars at both ends.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
If you understand the benefits and want to make it work, then you'll find a way to make it work. Some get it, some don't. I think you do so you'll probably end up with torsion bars at both ends.
This!
post #23 of 26 Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Rock God

I'm relocating my upper rear shock mounts with Synergy's kit. So my question is, what about the 4 doors? Anyone out there runt their JKU with out a rear sway bar? How is it on off camber sections? How about the added weight of a Hard top?
Guna ditch mine this afternoon and see for my self but am wondering if anyone on here has run their JKU with out it.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #24 of 26 Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILWB View Post
I'm relocating my upper rear shock mounts with Synergy's kit. So my question is, what about the 4 doors? Anyone out there runt their JKU with out a rear sway bar? How is it on off camber sections? How about the added weight of a Hard top?
Guna ditch mine this afternoon and see for my self but am wondering if anyone on here has run their JKU with out it.
video of my rig recently (orange one)
http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/ct...62d6c.mp4.html

i run with no rear sway bar, and disco the front. personally, I think its scary as shit. every little bump you feel a bit floppy

for now ill live with it, but im looking to get some antirocks, just to make it feel better
post #25 of 26 Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
i run with no rear sway bar, and disco the front. personally, I think its scary as shit. every little bump you feel a bit floppy
Thanks for the input!
Do you mean that when you run disconnected in the front its scary? What about on the highway when the front is connected?

oh and this is you on MaBell

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode