Running Spareless?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Running Spareless??

I know I've seen at least one post discussing running without a spare, but I can't seem to find it.

After adding all the armor I'm thinking of running without a spare and the swing away tire carrier to get a little weight off the back end. I've already sold my 8274 boat anchor off the front and replaced it with a smitty winch with synthetic line.

I keep a 15# bottle for air tools and have a viair under hood with a tank. I also have a pretty comprehensive tire plug kit.

Who else out there has any experience with this?

If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked1 View Post
I know I've seen at least one post discussing running without a spare, but I can't seem to find it.

After adding all the armor I'm thinking of running without a spare and the swing away tire carrier to get a little weight off the back end. I've already sold my 8274 boat anchor off the front and replaced it with a smitty winch with synthetic line.

I keep a 15# bottle for air tools and have a viair under hood with a tank. I also have a pretty comprehensive tire plug kit.

Who else out there has any experience with this?
I have run without a spare for over a year and about 15 - 20K miles. I don't at all like running offroad knowing that I don't have a spare, so this is changing, especially now with the 37s. I won't be running a tire carrier, so my spare will be a used 37 on a steel wheel that will only go on wheeling trips with me. My 2 door is no longer daily driven either.

If you're running on the road all the time then the odds of you being somewhere where you absolutely could not get a tow or repair that wasn't covered by your auto insurance is slim. However, it'd be way faster, easier, and less headache to have a spare tire for emergencies.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I only care my spare on the trail, and i toss it in the back then. its nice not having 150 lbs hanging off the back

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

I run spareless in Tulsa because everything is so close. When I go up to Disney I'll throw my spare in the back.

Sent with braille ..:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
Hocus pocus, Abracadabra and Alakazam - prototypical magic words used by magicians and top jeep Suspension Engineers.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Rock God

I've pulled my spare for daily driving and throw the stock rubi spare on for trails. It's lighter than a matching 35 and I don't have to spend the extra money for a new carrier.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 PM
TrailDuty.com

I can't recall the last time I had a total flat, but I know if I did it would be at 3:00am in the middle of nowhere.

I'll often remove my spare for wheeling, but it's never more than a mile or two away. I would not even consider running a trail where I'd be miles away from camp, like Golden Spike or something, without a full size spare with me.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM

I've recently taken my spare off and only plan on carrying it with me on trails or long trips. I rather have the extra weight off and wait a while for someone to bring me my spare rather than carrying it with me all over the place.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Count me in as someone who only uses a spare when wheeling - and even then I throw it into the back of the Jeep where the back seat was. I like to keep the weight balanced in the Jeep and also be able to see out of the back.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #9 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It goes against everything I believe in (being prepared). With on board air and a good plug kit I think I can handle a regular flat. The only good wheeling in the area is Disney. I don't believe I would ever be over a 20 minute ride for a replacement. I'm thinking I'll go with the PSC tramp stamp as I've already relocated my plates and find a new place to mount my jack and cb antenna.

post #10 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I only care my spare on the trail, and i toss it in the back then. its nice not having 150 lbs hanging off the back

Hey Dirty,
How do you have the spare mounted so it stays upright?

post #11 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Hey Dirty,
How do you have the spare mounted so it stays upright?
Im running the RROR high lift mount and I have a ready welder in a pelican box sandwiched between the tire and jack. Then I strap the tire to the jack.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Rock God

Spares are like ski boats--you don't need one if your neighbor has one.

When we wheel as a family, I figure I can use my wife's spare from her 4 door.

A heavy 37" or 40" spare on the back of my 2 dr makes steep climbs interesting because the lever of the extra weight causes my front tires to lose full traction sooner.

It is less of an issue on a 4 door.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

post #13 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
It goes against everything I believe in (being prepared). With on board air and a good plug kit I think I can handle a regular flat. The only good wheeling in the area is Disney. I don't believe I would ever be over a 20 minute ride for a replacement. I'm thinking I'll go with the PSC tramp stamp as I've already relocated my plates and find a new place to mount my jack and cb antenna.

Shoot me a pm next time you head up yo Disney. I need to get out lol

Quote:
Hocus pocus, Abracadabra and Alakazam - prototypical magic words used by magicians and top jeep Suspension Engineers.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I havent been running a spare, but ive havent been going too far from the house. If i go far or wheeling, i will throw it in that back. I will get the poison spyder tj tire carrier eventually. Right now, i just dont feel like doing what it will take to make it work with my set up.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #15 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM
JKO Addict!

I for one split the difference. I only cary a 35" spare even though I am running 37" tires. Its about 50lbs lighter than my 37"s (toyos are some heavy SOBs). I carry a good plug kit and a 10lb tank. Its not the nail I am worried about more so the blow-out on the freeway at 70 that shreds the tire. There are some things a plug wont fix. I also run a very minimalist rear tire carrier (Rancho rock gear). I think my bumper/tire carrier/spare comes in right around 150lbs. Thats less than some peoples bumpers alone.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotcyboi View Post
Shoot me a pm next time you head up yo Disney. I need to get out lol

Will do. It's been too long since I ventured out that way.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Will do. It's been too long since I ventured out that way.
Sundays are best for me

Quote:
post #18 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run spareless and have for 5k miles... I have 37's..... I am going to be buying my fifth wheel and tire and lod rear bumper and tire carrier though because i need the peace of mind!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode