Bedliner removal help! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bedliner removal help!

So i used duplicolor bedarmor and didn't prep the tub good enough and now its peeling and I need to get it out. Does anyone have any tips from removing the bedliner from my tub? Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Oh, shit!!!! If it's freshly applied Zylene thinner may soften it enough to scrape it out of there. The Zylene stink will likely put you in the morgue. Might want to just peel out the bits that aren't adhering well and try a patch, then a top coat over the whole thing. I'm not a big fan of that Duplicolor bedliner. It seems pretty soft. I used it in the tub of my '76 CJ5 resto and it's not been as durable as Durabak, Herculiner, etc.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I put it in last fall i just cant take it anymore it makes my jeep look like a POS. I dont want to repair like you said that duplicolor stuff is soft. You can just pick the chunks of kevlar out of it.

I shoulda known the stuff was junk when it took two weeks to dry ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

go buy some aircraft part cleaner. That shit will eat everything including the paint underneath. Let it bubble use a plastic scraper, hose out and your done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok sounds good i have some of that laying around from another project. i was thinking maybe a wire wheel i dunno how huge of a mess I would have?

This sucks im ready to torch the jeep and start over
post #6 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Rock God

Yeah I had to wire wheel mine out on a Samurai project. Nothing seemed to get it the way I wanted it removed. Wasn't as messy as you would think.

In spots I couldn't remove the old bed liner I just went over it with the new stuff.

I used this stuff and it worked great! made from rubber so it has sound deadening properties also. And it comes in colors other than black. I used gray for my silver Samurai.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Rock God

Here is the color sample of Durabak!

post #8 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
Yeah I had to wire wheel mine out on a Samurai project. Nothing seemed to get it the way I wanted it removed. Wasn't as messy as you would think.

In spots I couldn't remove the old bed liner I just went over it with the new stuff.

I used this stuff and it worked great! made from rubber so it has sound deadening properties also. And it comes in colors other than black. I used gray for my silver Samurai.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/
So how good was it? Im looking for something durable that I dont have to have professionally sprayed. The duplicolor bed armor is super crappy it just peels off with no effort even the standard duplicolor I did my fenders in will chip off with a screwdriver and minimal effort.

Will the Durabak wear off in the wheel wells were your feet rub? Thanks
post #9 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH08JK View Post
So how good was it? Im looking for something durable that I dont have to have professionally sprayed. The duplicolor bed armor is super crappy it just peels off with no effort even the standard duplicolor I did my fenders in will chip off with a screwdriver and minimal effort.

Will the Durabak wear off in the wheel wells were your feet rub? Thanks
I have had the Durabak in my Sami for over 6 years and you can't tell I put anything in it to include quad tires, spare tires, tools, etc...

Last edited by SFCCotton; 05-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I might just try this out then. I was thinking of using the raptor but ill look into this more did you spray this on or roll on?
post #11 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 01:56 PM
JKO Addict!

FWIW, I did the tub of my former YJ in Durabak and 7 years later it looked the same as when I applied it. Never peeled or scratched off anywhere. Spraying it on is best, but I used their dedicated foam rollers, which worked great. It's a dedicated textured roller that has large enough holes to evenly spread the granules. I tried paint store textured rollers with that stuff and they didn't work nearly as well. If you decide to go with Durabak be sure & buy extra rollers. They don't clean up well and will be useless if left overnight. The stuff is Zylene based and stinks to high heaven for about 4 days. Be sure it's warm outside and that you have a place to let it air out
post #12 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Rock God

Rolled it on. You do it in phases to build up the thickness you want.

post #13 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

I used DuraBak on the KJ. Home air compressor and a cheap harbor freight gun. Been on for about 8 months and I'm happy with the results, get compliments on it everywhere. Best part is no trail scratches, heck it even stood up the marble sized hail storm we had last week.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Question to the op...you mention you didn't prep enough did you not sand everything first?

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #15 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
The stuff is Zylene based and stinks to high heaven for about 4 days. Be sure it's warm outside and that you have a place to let it air out
Didn't know they make stuff based on diet pills
I think you meant to write Xylene
post #16 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
Question to the op...you mention you didn't prep enough did you not sand everything first?
Ya I rushed into it and bought the fanciest looking box at the parts store and just ripped it open and went to town. I sanded most of the tub with the included scotchbright pad, but ADD kicked in and I was ready to roll it on and just started without really getting it all sanded good and even missed half of what needed sanded. Needless to say that wasnt a very smart idea.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Ah we all make mistakes I'm planning a full 3-4 days to do my Monstaliner is why I ask.,..well when you get all cleaned up atleast you can start over

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode